Demoralised from Science :( Gained 3 Pounds

Options
Its been 3 weeks i am not exercising and eating 1200 -- 1500 calories. Average deficit week 4000 calories per week. I gained weight 3 pounds.

When i was exercising i was losing weight. Was walking 12+ miles daily and was losing weight linearly. This is how i lost 37 Pounds.

What did I wrong? Confused.
Should I believe in deficit or not or exercise is everything about weight loss.
I mean i always believe in calories deficit but I am disappointed.

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    How are you logging? Are you eyeballing, using measuring cups, or using a food scale?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    To your question 'Should I believe in deficit or not or exercise is everything about weight loss.'

There are many, many people around the world who are disabled and can't exercise. I can't. They are losing weight. I am.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh in after a cheat day/high sodium day? If so, that may explain the 3 pound "gain". Every Monday, I order a large BBQ chicken pizza. The next day, the scale is up by 3 pounds or so and it goes down within a few days. If you didn't have a high sodium or cheat day, then the answer is simple; you are eating way more than you think.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    How are you logging? Are you eyeballing, using measuring cups, or using a food scale?

Believe me i always log more than i eat. I mean there are some days i eat 1200 calories but i will stretch those numbers to 1400 or 1500.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Believe me i always log more than i eat. I mean there are some days i eat 1200 calories but i will stretch those numbers to 1400 or 1500.

Why.....log what you eat...
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    To your question 'Should I believe in deficit or not or exercise is everything about weight loss.'

There are many, many people around the world who are disabled and can't exercise. I can't. They are losing weight. I am.

Yeah I know and i read here a lot of people who lost weight without exercise.
    But I am very confused about my situation :disappointed:
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Did you weigh in after a cheat day/high sodium day? If so, that may explain the 3 pound "gain". Every Monday, I order a large BBQ chicken pizza. The next day, the scale is up by 3 pounds or so and it goes down within a few days. If you didn't have a high sodium or cheat day, then the answer is simple; you are eating way more than you think.

I don't believe in cheat days and i will never eat calories more than my BMR calories.
    and Yeah i eat Roti (Wheat + Salt + Water) which has sodium but still calories of roti doesn't cross my daily goal which is not more that 1500.
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

Why.....log what you eat...

Please read my post.
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I don't believe in cheat days and i will never eat calories more than my BMR calories.
    and Yeah i eat Roti (Wheat + Salt + Water) which has sodium but still calories of roti doesn't cross my daily goal which is not more that 1500.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the same amount of calories you ate when you were exercising?
    I ask because a lot of people don't eat any exercise calories back, MFP expects you to, then when they stop exercising their weight loss slows.

Also have you recalculated your calories since you lost 37 lbs? MFP prompts you to do so every 10 lbs lost. As we lose weight we need fewer calories to sustain our smaller bodies.

Eating between 1200-1500 without knowing your starting point, stats, or goals, doesn't give us enough information to help you.

Cheers, h.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I still read you eat 1200 but add 1400-1500 to your log.....so why log food you aren't consuming?
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Maybe that those 12+ miles daily were helping you to create a calorie deficit before ... Like your safety net for any calories you may have been logging incorrectly. Since you stopped with all those miles, any inaccurate logging at all is going to have a greater effect. It's all about calories in/calories out. You decreased your calories out, putting more weight on the calories in side of the equation
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    As a 200 lbs man, if I do nothing all day and I stay on a chair all day my maintenance is 1800.

If I do stuff, walk etc my maintenance is 2300.

If I exercises my maintenance is 3000

All tested
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you weighing your food to the gram? if not, you can be eating more than you think.
  • AamirKhan2016
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I ask because a lot of people don't eat any exercise calories back, MFP expects you to, then when they stop exercising their weight loss slows.

Also have you recalculated your calories since you lost 37 lbs? MFP prompts you to do so every 10 lbs lost. As we lose weight we need fewer calories to sustain our smaller bodies.

Eating between 1200-1500 without knowing your starting point, stats, or goals, doesn't give us enough information to help you.

Cheers, h.

Height: 5'10
    CW: 246 lb
    When i quit exercising My weight was 243 lb.
    Today i checked my weight in the morning it is 246.5 lb now.
    And I don't weigh myself linearly i mean i weigh myself after 20 or 25 days.

Yeah when i was exercising i was eating same amount of calories I am eating now. I was burning 1500+ calories by walking 3.7 mph pace.
    and yeah i know that was not right thing to do.

have you recalculated your calories since you lost 37 lbs?
    I am logging each and everything daily and its been 3 weeks I am not burning any calories by exercise. In these 3 weeks i believed on this approach
    (A+B)-C=D
    A= Calories Burned by Exercise
    B= BMR
    C= Consumed Calories
    D= Deficit

for 3 weeks i was like
    A=0, B=2200, C=1200 to 1500
    D=700 to 1000

and Thank you so much for this response.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep, stress, hormonal change (temporary), etc. There are so many variables. If you were eating the same amount (1200-1500) and exercising, then OF COURSE your weight would likely go down. If you're not exercising now, your body isn't burning as many calories as before.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

yeah i do accurately