Active vs lightly active

Options
Can anyone tell me the difference between active and lightly active in the goal settings? I get in 10,500 steps 5-6 days a week. Strength training 3xweek and work with kids. If I plug in active it gives me @1600 calories but when I plug in least active ( which I have always called myself) it gives me @1300 calories.

Replies

• fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've seen different definitions for both, some based on number and intensity of workouts and others based on occupation. Generally speaking an "active" person has a labour intensive job that requires them to be on their feet all day e.g. a construction worker. A "Lightly active" person is on their feet for part of the day e.g. a teacher. Personally, I would choose sedentary and then record any activity as exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would choose honestly based on your answers to the questions in the goal wizard. You just have to start somewhere. Depending on what your goals are, I wouldn't choose "Lose 2 pounds a week," unless you are more than 50 pounds overweight. Use a less aggressive weight loss goal.

Then, the key is to do meticulous recording of your intake - whatever it is. Over a period of a month to six weeks, you'll see if your numbers are working and you can adjust up or down 100-250 calories a day based on your results. It is a pattern of behavior over time that will give you a solution to your question. We really don't know enough about you to make any kind of real guess; such as your age, your weight, your goals.

I am most comfortable set at "Lose 1/2 pound per week," BUT I am already at a healthy weight and I know my BMR because I've logged my food for many years.