Does anyone else's calculated TDEE increase over time?

I lost 80 pounds over 6 months by eating at 1200. Now, I increased my calorie intake and I'm still losing. From February to March I lost 3.18 pounds (values from trendline). This calculated to a -464 calorie deficit on average. Using my average calorie count, 1404, I found out that my TDEE should be around 1868. I do an hour stationary bike a day but jog at about 11:30/mile for 40-50 minutes on the weekends.

I decided to increase my intake slowly and I began eating 1500, 1600 and now I'm at about 1650 a day. However, it seems my TDEE has also gone up. I'm not doing more exercise, but my calculations from March 4 to March 18 show that I've lost a pound in 9 days. This results in an average deficit of 391 calories. With an average calorie count of 1612, this calculates my TDEE to be around 2003.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar on their journey to find maintenance calories.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    According to your public profile information you are an 18 year old male. Unless you are really short, your TDEE will be much higher than even 2000 calories because you are male and 18. BTW 1200 calories a day was way too low for you to lose on, 1500 is considered the minimum for a male and thus it should not surprise you that your TDEE is higher than 2000. Forget the ramping up, eat 2000 and see what happens, but don't be surprised if your TDEE is higher than that.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Ah, to be young! No, my TDEE is not going up. It has gone decidedly and undeniably down. And I am trying to adjust gracefully.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    ntrasme wrote: »
    I lost 80 pounds over 6 months by eating at 1200. Now, I increased my calorie intake and I'm still losing. From February to March I lost 3.18 pounds (values from trendline). This calculated to a -464 calorie deficit on average. Using my average calorie count, 1404, I found out that my TDEE should be around 1868. I do an hour stationary bike a day but jog at about 11:30/mile for 40-50 minutes on the weekends.

I decided to increase my intake slowly and I began eating 1500, 1600 and now I'm at about 1650 a day. However, it seems my TDEE has also gone up. I'm not doing more exercise, but my calculations from March 4 to March 18 show that I've lost a pound in 9 days. This results in an average deficit of 391 calories. With an average calorie count of 1612, this calculates my TDEE to be around 2003.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar on their journey to find maintenance calories.

9 days is too short of a time frame from which to do the backward calculation into a TDEE. You should be looking at a longer term (like 3 to 4 weeks worth of data).

But, I'd agree with the other poster that at your age, your TDEE is likely a lot higher than your estimates and eating at 1200 is extremely aggressive for a male. Your loss of 80 pounds in 6 months translate to a loss rate of about 3 pounds per week, which is a lot.

Out of curiosity, what is your height and current weight?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited March 2016
    Mine did. ( should be around 1500 sedentary + about 300 exercise = around 1800ish)

i was tested and calculated for maintaining around 1800 at now at this point ( half year after the last lab tests) eating 2000-2100 and lose very slowly weight ( about 0.5 a month)
    And i dont even exercise every day my 300 wanted calories.

But to be honest i think there is also something about the fact that a lot of people here "under estimate" their activity level. And discover this later when they keep all the data.
    Which i have too is my only conclusion.

When you exercise you can "gain/develop muscle" but not with a deficit.
    So that can not be in my case so my BMR can not be higher because after 2 years i developed more muscle volume.

i think they and me, underestimated my activity level and instead of sedentary i probably was lightly active even when i didn't walk that much.

95069916.png
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    My monthly TDEE as calculated by calories in and weight lost bounces all over the place in the range of about +-200 (because fat loss can be masked by water retention for annoyingly long sometimes). Certain times of year my TDEE is higher due to higher general (non-exercise) activity. There is a general downward trend as I lose weight.