Almond Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Something which seems to be get missed, is that dairy contains iodine, and true, the body is supposed not to need overly much in a day, something like 150 microns, too little can cause health problems. Many people do not consume other foods like eggs and fish which, generalising can supply good amounts; some iodine can be found in dark green veggies, (to some extent the body can store some) Milk, dairy can be the only foods people regularly have which provides this essential nutrient.

Type 1 casein is the part of milk which regularly causes mucus this is the dominant casein in cow dairy. Goat products are type 2 casein dominant. Casein intolerance is far more common than lactose intolerance.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of almond milk. It tastes awful in coffee. I prefer using 25 cal cashew milk instead in my cereal or in my cooking (make crepes with it). Besides calories, I can't think of any particular advantage of using nut milks over regular milks.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I tried it once. Skim milk has more consistency and flavor, and skim milk is pretty much white water. I do like dark chocolate cashew milk though.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Less calories. Fewer carbs. More calcium, and more vitamins and minerals in general.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    Regular dairy creates mucous so stay away from it if you have a cold. I also heard it causes cellulite! (I don't know if that's true. But I'm not willing to be the one to try & find out!)

Yeah the mucus thing is a myth, it seems. Or at least there is no evidence that it's the case.
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Something which seems to be get missed, is that dairy contains iodine, and true, the body is supposed not to need overly much in a day, something like 150 microns, too little can cause health problems. Many people do not consume other foods like eggs and fish which, generalising can supply good amounts; some iodine can be found in dark green veggies, (to some extent the body can store some) Milk, dairy can be the only foods people regularly have which provides this essential nutrient.

Type 1 casein is the part of milk which regularly causes mucus this is the dominant casein in cow dairy. Goat products are type 2 casein dominant. Casein intolerance is far more common than lactose intolerance.

This is precisely why we have iodized salt. it is a trace mineral and doesn't need to be supplemented for the majority of the population.
  • lstojanovic
    lstojanovic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't drink regular milk. It makes my stomach hurt like a *kitten*. Almond milk never makes me feel uncomfortable it's great.Almond milk packaging claims to have 50% more calcium. I think almond milk is generally healthier but that's just a personal preference.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It's really personal preference. I like unsweetened almond milk for my cereal because the calories are so much less (and I prefer the taste). I use to take it in my coffee but I started to hate it so now I drink my coffee black.
    It's gross in cooking though. I can not cook with it replacing milk. So grossness.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I like the unsweetened almond milk for baking, smoothies, and in cereal. I'm diabetic and the carbs in milk just don't fit into my daily numbers. I can't get used to unsweetened vanilla almond milk on it's own. Though, I just had some unsweetened chocolate almond milk that with a bit of splenda was genuinely tasty!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    coalz wrote: »
    Regular dairy creates mucous so stay away from it if you have a cold. I also heard it causes cellulite! (I don't know if that's true. But I'm not willing to be the one to try & find out!)

Yeah the mucus thing is a myth, it seems. Or at least there is no evidence that it's the case.

Milk *might* make mucus thicker, making it more noticeable, but it does not increase mucus production.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me I use almond milk (unsweetened) because it's like 13 cal per 100ml. Vs the milk we buy that is 65 per 100ml. And I think the taste is ok. I used it on muesli this morning.