Embarrassing question- keep my fat roll dry, advice please?

Last summer, almost a year after my c section, I had started this diet and with all the exercise I developed a fungal/bacterial infection in the fat fold where my c section scar is... It took a month to get it under control and the only thing that worked, better than prescription cream was zeasorb... So I've been applying it lightly daily after a shower and have never had a problem since
... Problem is now I've read that it has talc in it and talc can increase your risk for ovarian cancer! Now I want to stay far away from it... My stomach has shrunken, but im not sure if it's enough to stop using the powder, im seriously afraid to, but I'm afraid of the talc more!
If anyone has advice on how to keep the area dry without talc powder or creams etc that would be great thank you!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I used to put a few swipes of a solid antiperspirant on mine.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think that link was for women who used it on their intimate area directly.....you can however buy powder that isn't "talc" maybe try an alternative.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Cornstarch powder rather than talc?
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Pat dry with your towel and then blow dry the area after every shower. I never had any issues with mine after the initial c/s recovery time. I do always blow dry the area though after the gym and shower to make sure there is nothing that will cause a problem!
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    darlswife wrote: »
    Cornstarch powder rather than talc?

I used to use that, but my dr told me it feeds the yeast, which might explain why it always came back, I think it depends on what kind of rash you get!
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    I think that link was for women who used it on their intimate area directly.....you can however buy powder that isn't "talc" maybe try an alternative.

That may be true, my friend just told me about it, and I did a basic Google search, didn't get too into it, I see cancer and think agh!
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    to be honest i sweat a lot. sometimes when i go to the bathroom i have to wipe it dry with toilet paper if i have been walking or doing some sort of exercise.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    I occasionally get a yeast infection (red itchy rash) under my stomach or in the crease between the vag/thigh area. I put a little monistat on it to clear the infection then I don't worry about it again until I have the next one. I just had a little one starting a couple weeks ago. I cleaned it witn astringent (burned like hell) and swiped it with deodorant. It was gone by the next day.
  • mrssto78
    mrssto78 Posts: 83 Member
    Zinc Oxide is the active ingredient in diaper rash cream. You can buy it at any pharmacy. Works great.
  • beccapotvin
    beccapotvin Posts: 10 Member
    Corn starch-based baby powder. No talc, keeps you nice and dry, and you smell extra good all the time B)
  • I was 390 pounds at one time. I've lost 138 lbs and have saggy skin. Arisol Deodorant (secret powder fresh) sprayed under the folds. I live in Texas and I very very rarely get a rash. When I do happen to get one I put alcohol on it when in the shower - yes it BURNS, but it dries/clears it up in a day ir two.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I was going to suggest spray on deodorant as well. I used to dry everything out with a hair dryer before I sprayed it on. I would stay away from the cornstarch--it does feed yeast.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Never considered the spray on kind. Will try this week as one side lots of increased issues. I also have cut up an old flannel baby sheet, and sewed the sides up and use it. As it is soft, it absorbs all the moisture and stops the rubbing back and forth.
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    My sister, who is an RN, said they use Lotrimin Antifungal Powder for their patients. It contains no talc and I have found that it works great!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I have a substantial belly flap that's about to be chopped on in August. Anti-persperant. I use Degree clear solid as it works for me and doesn't leave white residue.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    The thing about the talc is it was one case of a woman who directly applied it to herself every day for about 70 years.

I think your fine using it on your abdomen.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited June 2018
    I once heard about something called "chub rub" idk anything about it, just saw it mentioned on another thread
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited June 2018
    EDIT: Dang it... necro thread. :grumble:

1) all study results I've found that discuss use of talc powder and cancer are when directly applied to the genitals (think deodorizing type powders for your private parts)

2) From a meta-analysis (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28079603):
    The summary relative risk (RR) for ever use of genital talc and ovarian cancer was 1.22 [95% confidence interval (CI): 1.13-1.30]. The RR for case-control studies was 1.26 (95% CI: 1.17-1.35) and for cohort studies was 1.02 (95% CI: 0.85-1.20, Pheterogeneity=0.007). Serous carcinoma was the only histologic type for which an association was detected (RR: 1.24; 95% CI: 1.15-1.34). There was a weak trend in RR with duration and frequency of genital talc use. This meta-analysis resulted in a weak but statistically significant association between genital use of talc and ovarian cancer, which appears to be limited to serous carcinoma with suggestion of dose-response. The heterogeneity of results by study design however, detracts from a causal interpretation of this association.

This means that there is a potential 22% higher risk of developing an ovarian cancer from using talc on your genitals regularly. What this 22% higher risk means is: if your base risk is 1%*, and you then use talc on your genitals daily for the rest of your life, then your risk of developing this form of cancer is now 1.22%

*simple number I grabbed out of the air for the sake of calculating numbers. I couldn't find risk numbers on the quick. Also, the median age for developing this particular form of cancer (serous carcinoma) is 63, so higher risk in post-menopausal women. Not sure if the studies adjusted their results based on this or not. So that risk increase might actually be linked with the age of the woman and not with the use of talc powder...

Furthermore, the relationship between the cancer and talc is not casual (meaning they could find no direct link between using the talc powder and developing this specific form of cancer. It might simply be that the use of talc acted as a catalyst for someone already predisposed to developing this type of cancer).

Summary for the lazy:

If your not using the talc on your genitals your risk to develop ovarian cancer DOES NOT increase. (i.e. If you use it on a stomach fold you could just as well keep using it).

If you are using talc on your genitals you might have a higher risk to develop ovarian cancer. If on top of it you are post-menopausal, then regular cancer screenings might not be such a bad idea.