Pizza calories -you think this is accurate?

Options
13»

Replies

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I eat pizza all the time, but I usually stick with cheese only & get it from Little Caesar's because they are cheap (I can feed all 7 of us for $16). Make sure you are weighing out your slices & not just going by # of slices--they are all different sizes. If you go to the detailed information in the Domino's Cal-O-Meter, it will give you the grams for the quoted calorie amount.

Domino's has a Cal-O-Meter? That's kind of life changing news.

Yes: https://www.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/cal-o-meter.jsp

that link takes to dominos website. I think the link is broken
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It's not broken. I get to it when I click it. Maybe it's because you're in Canada?
  • viren19890
    Options
    When I was in high school, my friend and I would eat an extra large pizza with three meat toppings by ourselves.
    Almost 1600-1700 calories each person damn and then still eat dinner at night and all. lol Ah those were the days
  • viren19890
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    It's not broken. I get to it when I click it. Maybe it's because you're in Canada?

Ok maybe that's it. That's discrimination. They think Canadians don't need to count calories!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    LOL. When I go to the Canadian site, the only nutritional info is the pdf file that you've linked. The US website has a breakdown of ingredients and a customizable calorie calculator which was linked above. I'm guessing in Canada the source for the toppings and the way they make the pizza varies, so they use a different method of providing nutritional info. The customizable one really is better because I get a large thin crust BBQ Chicken pizza from them once a week and it's amazing how many calories you shave off by going with thin crust and light cheese. It tastes much better too (in my opinion).
  • viren19890
    Options
    LOL. When I go to the Canadian site, the only nutritional info is the pdf file that you've linked. The US website has a breakdown of ingredients and a customizable calorie calculator which was linked above. I'm guessing in Canada the source for the toppings and the way they make the pizza varies, so they use a different method of providing nutritional info. The customizable one really is better because I get a large thin crust BBQ Chicken pizza from them once a week and it's amazing how many calories you shave off by going with thin crust and light cheese. It tastes much better too (in my opinion).

I enjoy thin crust too! far much more than regular but tonight's pizza is for family and they think it's like a cardboard with vegetables on it hence the regular crust lol
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I've noticed some other Canadian food sites that just have a spreadsheet while their US counterparts have an actual calculator, it can be so annoying! I figured out the calorie count for my Domino's pizza once and it was such a pain in the butt. At least some sites let you use the US nutrition calculator to get some kind of idea, like Starbucks.
  • viren19890
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »

I've noticed some other Canadian food sites that just have a spreadsheet while their US counterparts have an actual calculator, it can be so annoying! I figured out the calorie count for my Domino's pizza once and it was such a pain in the butt. At least some sites let you use the US nutrition calculator to get some kind of idea, like Starbucks.

I wonder if there is some sort of government requirement to have it available for them and not for us Canadians? Or US has far more health conscious people than there are in Canada? Lol
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Linzon wrote: »

I wonder if there is some sort of government requirement to have it available for them and not for us Canadians? Or US has far more health conscious people than there are in Canada? Lol

We just last year got a whole host of new food labeling laws that came in with the Affordable Care Act. I believe one of the requirements is that they list the base separately (e.g. small cheese pizza) and then list the toppings and the calories in each individually.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    lol like I said I had a doubt in my mind but because the weight kept going down I did't care to double check.
    Another reason for this nonsense on my part was due to the fact that so many things which I thought were extremely high on calories were low when checked. For example lentils that I'd make at home- I used to think they were 300-400 cals for 100 gram serving but they were down 80-100 cals lol

You may want to spend some time learning the basics of nutritional value for various foods, to increase your confidence in making the judgment of whether the calorific value you find is plausible or not. For legumes, rice, pasta, and other foods that soak up water when cooked, the crucial difference is whether you are counting the calories of the uncooked or cooked product. The rule of thumb is about 350 (300-400) calories uncooked. Cooked calorific value will vary much more when cooked, as it will depend on how much water was soaked up. That's why it's more reliable to weigh them uncooked. Obviously, that only applies if you are cooking from scratch - but it's also a reason why cooking from scratch gives you much better control of your calorie intake.
  • viren19890
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    lol like I said I had a doubt in my mind but because the weight kept going down I did't care to double check.
    Another reason for this nonsense on my part was due to the fact that so many things which I thought were extremely high on calories were low when checked. For example lentils that I'd make at home- I used to think they were 300-400 cals for 100 gram serving but they were down 80-100 cals lol

You may want to spend some time learning the basics of nutritional value for various foods, to increase your confidence in making the judgment of whether the calorific value you find is plausible or not. For legumes, rice, pasta, and other foods that soak up water when cooked, the crucial difference is whether you are counting the calories of the uncooked or cooked product. The rule of thumb is about 350 (300-400) calories uncooked. Cooked calorific value will vary much more when cooked, as it will depend on how much water was soaked up. That's why it's more reliable to weigh them uncooked. Obviously, that only applies if you are cooking from scratch - but it's also a reason why cooking from scratch gives you much better control of your calorie intake.

Thanks..that's what I do. I create my own recipe and ingredients i use is raw uncooked for everything.