What do you wear for cycling in the winter?

Options
I'm still a newbie to cycling, purchased a bike last summer and fell in love with the sport. I'd like to start riding again in the mornings before work, but I live in New England and it's wicked cold. Any tips for layering or what works for you? I currently work from home and will need to commute over the summer so I'd like to start riding again now so I have some time to build up to longer rides :smile: Any cycling tips or resources would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Replies

• johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    First rule of cold weather riding is always dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. I wear a merino wool baselayer. Wicks sweat very well. Then depending on how cold I will wear an Under Armour layer then my cycling jacket. Gloves, wool socks, thermal tights under your shorts, shoe covers, and a hat under your helmet. This morning it was about 35 degrees on Long Island. I wore wool baselayer and thermal cycling jersey, hat, gloves and wool socks. Should've worn the shoe covers. When it starts getting up to the high 40's into the low 50's you may want to wear just your regular cycling shirt and shorts along with arm and leg warmers so as you heat up from riding you can pull them off. Hope this helps and have fun on the roads!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Invest in a pair of bib style shorts or tights for cold weather riding....prevents cold spots if your jersey rides up a little in the back. LFMF

I'll second the suggestion about merino wool base layers......my bike goes on the trainer all winter but I run outside all year 'round and it's been a life saver with the winters we get here in Ottawa.
  • Jen58473
    Jen58473 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll add that windproof gloves are helpful when it gets close to or below freezing. And pogies for those really cold days. A light balaclava protects the skin on my face, but this won't work well with glasses.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    In winter, bib tights, a base layer and long sleeved hi-viz cycling jersey, a buff, skullcap under my helmet and full finger gloves. I don't use merino, I use Haglofs synthetic base layer at the moment.

I carry a jacket in my jersey pocket in case I need it, and my glasses have interchangeable lenses with clear for winter and night use, amber for low light and tinted for daylight.

Neoprene shoe covers halp a lot when it's wet.
  • coconutmango16
    coconutmango16 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everybody!