You have to walk before you run.

Options
Dora_Campbell
Dora_Campbell Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've been walking for a few days now and totally enjoying myself. So I aak why not give jogging a try? So there I go and I'm ok at the beginning until my ankle starts hurting. It starts burning and I automatically stop wondering what happened. I get hm only to find my ankle swollen. I've bought a brace that seems to help but I'm afraid to try jogging again. Any ideas on what happened or should I just take it as exercise pains that will eventually go away? Anybody have this same experience? Thanks for reading. Have a great Saturday. :)

Replies

• Byrekyla
    Byrekyla Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If it's legitimately swollen there's probably something wrong. I'm no doctor or anything though.

I'd say if you have been walking a couple days perhaps extend that to walking, and walking faster for a couple weeks. Then maybe move on to a C25K program. If you hurt yourself running after a few minutes.... You probably need to build up more slowly.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)

Off the top of my head it sounds like you may have rolled it a bit while trying to run. If you've been inactive for a while I'd echo the advice to forget running for a bit. Walk once the ankle is healed up and keep walking for a while you may also want to google strength training for runners (same exercises are good for walkers) you'll find quite a few that are pretty much body weight based so you needn't worry about buying equipment.

Knee and ankle braces may give you some temporary relief but they're a band-aid solution.....you need to address the root cause.

Once you've been walking for a while then try running again.Start off with very slow, short intervals and build up very gradually......Rome wasn't built in a day!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The general conservative advice, to avoid injury, is to increase distance or speed by 10% a week or so, so if you were walking one mile, increase it to two over a couple months, then to three over the next month, OR try to go faster over the same distance.

Slow changes are more sustainable, and end up making a bigger impact on your health than heroic efforts.

I hope you heal quickly and can get back out there!
  • callie_rae29
    callie_rae29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last month when I decided to start jogging. My advice is wait until it fully heals before trying to run. Build up your ankle strength, I use the leg press and do toe raises. Also you should try walking and jogging with an incline, most treadmills tend to be slightly negative at 0. Hope this helps, it did for me.
  • Dora_Campbell
    Dora_Campbell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your responses. I agree that I might of tried too much too quick. I've been on a treadmill and eliptical so i didn't feel I would have any problems but I was so wrong. Thanks everyone for all your advice and I will definately start walking as soon as I can. :)