Healthy but tasty snacks

Options

Replies

• brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello cups have about 10 calories and is good for when I'm craving something sweet. I usually put some reddi whip whipped cream on top and it works for me.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    SWEET POTATOES AGUGHGHUGHGUH (i'm homer simpson droolin' over here)
  • yessie916
    yessie916 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I suggest the healthy choice frozen fudge bars. They are 100 calories each and really satisfy my sweet tooth!
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    yessie916 wrote: »
    I suggest the healthy choice frozen fudge bars. They are 100 calories each and really satisfy my sweet tooth!

These are great, I like their ice cream sandwiches as well.

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Depends on the situation. If I'm at home, I like to have sugar free Jello cups, sugar free pudding cups, or WW frozen fudge bars or frozen strawberry yogurt bars. All of these are less than 75 calories per serving. Sometimes I have two lol.

If I'm at work, I try to keep fruit around like oranges. I also have in my office low calorie kettle corn and WW salted caramel brownies. Both relatively low calorie and both satisfy any sweet craving I have while at work.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Smart pop kettle corn
  • Jayenuh
    Jayenuh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Fruit is sweet...I tend to eat fruit when I want something sweet.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would recommend just abstaining from snacking. Eventually you'll get used to not doing it, especially if you do it all the time now. Snacks are the enemy of weight loss. One of the best things I did for weight loss was ridding my house of any and all "snack foods," and only kept ingredients for meals around. I lost about 40 lbs doing that a couple years ago.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond wasabi almonds, that's some tasty snacking right there.

Love them! The Sriracha and the Salt & Vinegar are excellent as well.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »

Awesome suggestion!
    I will eat a whole grapefruit that is peeled like an orange. I will eat the grapefruit first thing in the morning with my green tea. The grapefruit is so refreshing and sweet first in the morning.

Have you ever tried Pummelo? That's my treat most days. It's like a huge really sweet grapefruit. You completely peel all the skin. They are so big I stretch one out over several days.

Also for chocolate cravings, I like Chiobani 100 strawberry chocolate crunch yogurt. And Dove makes an amazing chocolate covered strawberry gelato snack bar for just 150 calories.

Pomelo is a great fruit...love them. If I go to the store often enough I can easily go through three a week.
  • FitPitbullMom
    FitPitbullMom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    power crunch bars are amazing. the French vanilla one tastes like a vanilla oreo and they are very high in protein
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're trying to cut the sweet snacks out or not, but, premier protein fiber snack bars, I eat one every night before bed. Chocolate mint, cookies and cream and peanut butter caramel. All yummy. Also, this cake recipe. One square is 120 calories, with 2 T of Tru whip, 150.

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/pi-coloada-cake/
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For a sweet tooth, I slice a banana into 1/4 inch rounds, top one with some PB2, then top that with another banana slice. Put on top of parchment paper and freeze. Then melt dark chocolate in the microwave, dip banana bites in the chocolate and refreeze. Keep in covered container in the freezer. Sometimes I will roll them in shredded unsweetened coconut after the chocolate dip.
    Delicious!!!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    pistachios,dried fruit,medjool dates,tofu desserts,apple chips,banana with some peanut butter,pop chips, air popped popcorn with whatever seasoning.hummus & veggies
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I take a bunch of snacks to work each day, which especially helps on days like today when the kitchen is full of leftover cakes and other goodies.

My favourites (though they aren't all sweet):
    - boiled eggs
    - cheese and crackers (light cheese slice and a couple of ryvita is about 150 cals)
    - celery and carrot sticks with home made hommus
    - cherry tomatoes (sweet but not super sweet)
    - grapes - they are in season and seriously sweet and yummy at this time of year. Once my grape shop shuts down it will be back to apples or mandarins.
    - roasted sweet potatoes (I slice them into thick rounds, toss them with a little bit of olive oil and 5 spice powder then roast them)
    - home made muffins (last weekend I made a batch of ginger/carrot/pineapple muffins, only 80 cals each)
    - hot chocolate - I like Jarrah which is around 50 - 70 cals/serve

I pre-log my days during the week, so I can see how many snacks I can fit in along side my main meals.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    I would recommend just abstaining from snacking. Eventually you'll get used to not doing it, especially if you do it all the time now. Snacks are the enemy of weight loss. One of the best things I did for weight loss was ridding my house of any and all "snack foods," and only kept ingredients for meals around. I lost about 40 lbs doing that a couple years ago.

I disagree. Snacks are not the enemy of weight loss. I usually have a couple of snacks every day and lost well over 100 pounds that way. Its all about the amount of calories your eating not how often.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I keep a pack of sugar free sweets for when I fancy something sweet. 8cals per sweet and I only tend to have a couple as they are sucky sweets. But I'm not prepared to give up everything I like just to lose weight so I portion it up or find sugar free alternatives.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »

I, too, disagree - and I'll go further than @mamadon. Snacks - for some of us - can be weight loss's best friends. Some reasons I say this:
    1. If I'm away from home running errands, am getting past mealtime & feeling hungry, I can have (say) half an ounce of dry-roasted almonds to tide myself over, so I don't arrive home feeling like I want to eat the whole kitchen.
    2. Some people have cravings or habits that are tough to break cold turkey, and snacks can help re-route those. Eating a 40-calorie square of dark chocolate every day or two can put the chocolate/sweets craving to bed, provide some nice anti-oxidants and tastiness, and help avoid a giant sweets binge in a week.
    3. Demonizing snacking and snack foods plays into the "good foods" vs. "bad foods" dichotomy that becomes so emotionally destructive for some people. A healthier relationship with food is to recognizing that caloric (or salty, sugar-y) foods can be fun once in awhile, but don't have enough nutrition or satiation to be eaten routinely or in quantity, because they don't help us meet our nutritional and health objectives, not because they're inherently "bad".
    4. I've seen MFP-ers report, especially early in their calorie deficit days, that they're literally awakened in the night by hunger (or maybe appetite) pangs. A healthy snack before bed can be just the ticket for them to get better sleep.
    5. Everyone has a different satiation profile. Some people, like you (apparently), @DanSTL82, are better served by one or two or three regular meals per day. Others are better served by 3 meals plus 2-3 snacks, or 5 small meals. It makes sense to me that people should experiment to see what's best for them.

I'll freely admit that some typical mainstream "snacks" don't seem to me to have sufficient nutrition to be worth their calories. And frankly, I don't even find most of them very tasty (I'm a ovo-lacto vegetarian, whole-foods-eating, cook-at-home kind of gal). But I see no reason to sweepingly make an "enemy" of strategies that can be valid and effective for others.

End of sermon. :) Sorry for the digression, OP.

Obligatory on-topic content: If you'd consider savory snacks, OP, I also like Indian puppodums (Sharwood's are 20 calories each), crispy chickpeas or freeze-dried snap peas (have a little protein), individual cheese portions (string cheese, mini fresh mozzarella pearls, individual queso fresco, etc.), dry-roasted soybeans, or kimchi. None of the above are great for folks who are prehypertensive or hypertensive, though, because of the salt.