49 years old and ran my first race!

Options
My daughter and I did a 5k back in November, and it was tough! Even though I had been walking a lot (treadmill), running was a struggle. I just wasn't used to the impact and wasn't in very good shape. Fast forward 4 months. I have lost 22 lbs and have integrated running into my treadmill workout. So, today, we attempted a 4 mile run (timed) and Rocked It! Ran the whole race and felt fantastic doing it. This was my first timed event and I am so thrilled to be sharing this experience with my daughter. I am 49, she is 24. I have not ran for fitness since I was in high school, and frankly thought those days were long behind me. Just wanted to share this for anyone who thought running was for other people. That was me a year ago. Now I realize I just had to make up my mind to do it, and that I was the only person holding me back. It is awesome to see the respect my daughter has for what I am attempting to accomplish and she has been so encouraging during this process. We keep pushing each other and now we are hooked! Next up, 10k. Watch out world, here we come!

Replies

• kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I too thought that my running for fitness days were long behind me. Last year I started running and did my first timed 5K. It felt too good to let it be my last so I plan on doing a few more 5's and at least one 10K this year.

• ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Congratulations to you for your accomplishment :). Thanks for the encouragement for others thinking of getting into running also :)
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Amazing achievement.
    I'm doing c25k and at the moment can't imagine being able to run 4 miles straight. Can just about manage a mile at the moment but I couldn't run at all before I started.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just started running this past September at the age of 46. I've done 3 5K races, a 5 mile run, and just yesterday completed 10k for the first time. It's so exciting to see what you can accomplish that you never thought you could.

Keep up the good work and you are a great model for your daughter.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    Good job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!