Sleep Problems and Diet

Options
My sleep patterns are very disruptive. This past week I have been up all night, not falling asleep until 5 a.m. or so, then waking up around 9 a.m. for a couple of hours and then falling back asleep until 3:30 p.m. or so. I am staying within my calorie limits over a 24 hour period, but since my sleep is messed up, so is my eating schedule. Its hard to know when to weight myself and my findings have been skewed. Any help?

Replies

• alanjreed
    alanjreed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Are you up until 5 because you have to or you can't sleep?
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I guess if you're withing your limit over a 24 hour period it's fine. Weigh yourself after you go to the bathroom if you haven't eaten for a few hours. Like if you have slept 5 to 9 a.m. it looks fine to step on the scale at 9.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    If you are bothered by your sleep schedule, here are some suggestions. Cut back or eliminate caffeine & alcohol; eliminate screen time an hour before you choose to sleep; try to NOT nap during the day the first day you are recovering from an up-til-5 AM bout. Other suggestions here: http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/getting/overcoming/tips

With regard to your actual question - tracking your weight over a month will let you know if you are being effective with your CICO, and weighing yourself before your first meal of the day (whenever that is) might give you more consistent findings.