Can't keep up with Couch to 5K, Week 1 - Do you have any advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You are definitely running too fast. You should be able to say a 6 word sentence -- if you can't, then slow down.

Like others have said, don't be afraid to repeat a workout or a whole week. Some bodies take longer to adjust than others (mine sure did), and sometimes your body is telling you that it needs a break. The important thing is to get out there every single week and do something.

If it makes you feel any better, there's hope. I was where you are at in January 2015. I just ran my first half marathon last week. For the first 6 months, I couldn't run more than a couple of minutes at a time, but my body finally decided I was serious about this and now I had no problem running the whole 13.1 miles.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Slow down :)
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    The C25k I used recommended being able to walk briskly for 45-60 minutes before starting the program. If you can do that then slow down a lot and repeat the week until you can move on.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I first did the program I started at what I considered a slow run... About 5mph. Of course, that was fast for me, but I thought by regular standards it was slow. I thought any slower would be considered a walk. Lol. I completed it, but it was miserable. I was always watching that clock, feeling like the last 15 seconds of each run were going to kill me.

A year later (and out of shape again) I restarted but got an injury. Doctors orders were to slow WAY down. He thought I jumped on the bandwagon too fast, lol. I didn't want to stop running, so I slowed down. I slowed down to 3.0mph at the peak of my injury. One day I "ran" for an hour and a half!! I was so proud. I could have walked faster, but that wasn't the point.

Anyway, over 6 months I increased my speed slowly. I'm still slow (5-6mph) but I enjoyed the process. Feeling like I was dying every time I ran for 2 minutes (or 10) was not fun. Now, I get what they mean when they say the first mile is the hardest, or that you find your groove after a while if you push through. But it doesn't feel like I want to die.

Slow down to a pace comfortable for YOU! Even if it's slower than some people walk. And speed will come after you do it for a while.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yup - what everyone else is saying.... slow down. Work on speed after you complete the program. Don't be afraid to repeat days/weeks. Good luck!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    *claps* amazing! I have never seen an MFP forum thread with such excellent, consistent advice :D

Yay, everyone!
  • clawmum
    clawmum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k 3 yrs ago and repeated wk 1 3 times, although i felt deflated at the time as i progressed through the programme it proved to be the best thing i could have done as it gave me time to work on my technique, breathing, speed etc, when i did move on i felt more confident. when you get to the wk 9 (even if it takes 90 weeks) you will be so proud of your graduation badge the extra weeks won't even enter your head you will just be proud you completed it so your doing great just repeat if you need too, you will get there. Good luck!
  • emmanelson654
    emmanelson654 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    When I first did the program I started at what I considered a slow run... About 5mph. Of course, that was fast for me, but I thought by regular standards it was slow. I thought any slower would be considered a walk. Lol. I completed it, but it was miserable. I was always watching that clock, feeling like the last 15 seconds of each run were going to kill me.

A year later (and out of shape again) I restarted but got an injury. Doctors orders were to slow WAY down. He thought I jumped on the bandwagon too fast, lol. I didn't want to stop running, so I slowed down. I slowed down to 3.0mph at the peak of my injury. One day I "ran" for an hour and a half!! I was so proud. I could have walked faster, but that wasn't the point.

Anyway, over 6 months I increased my speed slowly. I'm still slow (5-6mph) but I enjoyed the process. Feeling like I was dying every time I ran for 2 minutes (or 10) was not fun. Now, I get what they mean when they say the first mile is the hardest, or that you find your groove after a while if you push through. But it doesn't feel like I want to die.

Slow down to a pace comfortable for YOU! Even if it's slower than some people walk. And speed will come after you do it for a while.

I feel the same way, I'm always checking the clock and feel like what I'm doing is barely a run. Congratulations on your progress!
  • emmanelson654
    emmanelson654 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice. Congratulations to everyone who finished or is doing the program now!

I'm going to slow down even though I think my brisk walk might be faster, and repeat week 1 another time or two.