Smoothie recipes? I just got a Nutri Ninja Blender. :)

Options
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any good, healthy, and preferably low calorie smoothie recipes that they would like to share. I just got a Nutri Ninja and tried it for the first time today using a recipe I found on Pinterest, but it didn't come out like I hoped. I attempted a peanut butter banana smoothie using a banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, 10 oz of milk, and 6 ice cubes and although it tasted decent, the consistency was on the watery side. I'm new to the whole smoothie thing so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd love to get suggestions for recipes to try!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I like cashew or almond milk ....vanilla whey powder and frozen fruit especially mango and mixed berry
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have the same blender! I bought it last week.

I just copied recipes from my favorite protein shake place.

I bought Isopure Naturals Vanilla protein powder. I too am new to smoothies - I generally prefer to eat food over drinking it, and I'm not a fan of protein powders. But I have them right now just after I lift.

My most common one: one scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, one cup of skim milk (I don't see the point of almond milk personally), and half a banana. Or I substitute the blueberries with fresh strawberries, or frozen raspberries.

If you have a good quality matcha green tea, you could also do one with matcha, avocado, vanilla protein, and honey.

And of course chocolate and peanut butter always go together!

That said I do like my shakes watery, so maybe you could add more solids if you want them thicker.
  • karebare180
    karebare180 Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Spinach, banana, strawberry, blueberries and almond milk... Delish. I use a vegan nutritional powder called Vega one. Doesn't hurt to add a little extra, plus it tastes good.
  • karebare180
    karebare180 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Banana, strawberry and almond milk.
    Mango, pineapple, banana, water.
    If you use frozen fruit, it makes the smoothie more frothy and creamy and cold, sooooo good
  • becctacular
    becctacular Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have found my favorite combination for a smoothie! I drink one every morning--I usually buy my stuff in bulk at Sams:
    At the beginning of the week, by a large container of leafy greens (I do a spinach/Kale mix) -- put in freezer
    Buy a bunch of bananas - peel and break each banana into four pieces..place in ziplock bag and freeze
    Buy a huge container of PB2 -- it's a powder form of peanut butter and saves you calories--tastes great!
    I prefer unsweet vanilla almond milk (lower sugar and calories--but if you need sweeter, get slightly sweet vanilla almond milk)

To make
    Place a couple handfuls of frozen leafy greens in bottom of blender, 4 banana pieces on top (a whole banana), 2 tablespoons (or more to your liking) of PB2, and a cup of Almond Milk. Blend and enjoy!

The frozen fruit and greens really helps with the texture.
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    lovexlexi wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any good, healthy, and preferably low calorie smoothie recipes that they would like to share. I just got a Nutri Ninja and tried it for the first time today using a recipe I found on Pinterest, but it didn't come out like I hoped. I attempted a peanut butter banana smoothie using a banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, 10 oz of milk, and 6 ice cubes and although it tasted decent, the consistency was on the watery side. I'm new to the whole smoothie thing so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd love to get suggestions for recipes to try!

Try soy milk, and I also use powdered chocolate peanut butter and it's way healthier and less calories <3
  • HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    My go-to smoothie is a banana peanut butter one :) I use 1 cup of frozen banana slices (keeps you from having to mess with ice), 1 cup fresh spinach, 1 tbsp peanut butter, and 1-2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's delicious!
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When i got mine I just threw I what I liked.lol I put 1 cup of almond milk 1 banana and 6 strawberries with some ice. Comes out pretty good. If you wanna make some more just throw more milk in it. Tsp of vanilla helps a lil too. My kids love them as well. And they r easy to make. If u need more protein throw in a scoop of protein w it or pb is cool too. Have fun with it and try diff things. Eating good and losing weight is suppose to be fun!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OK, so this is going to sound a little crazy but I make what I like to call my kitchen sink smoothie. I basically fill it up with everything but the kitchen sink. Truly, the calories are really low but the nutrition impact is sky high!

Here's the sequence:

About a cup of kale or spinach
    About a cup of fruit (berries, mango, peaches)
    1 scoop of protein powder
    1/2 cup of yogurt (any flavor)
    1 packet of Emergen-C vitamin powder
    1 tsp Calm magnesium powder with calcium
    1-2 tsp chia seeds
    1-2 tsp hemp seeds
    1 Tbsp Great Lakes collagen protein
    1-2 oz aloe vera juice

Add water (or half juice) up to the max fill line on my Nutribullet and let her rip!

This makes 2 servings, so I put one in the fridge for the next day. I've even made a bunch and frozen in individual serving sizes. Just thaw and shake up really well. I don't always include the yogurt if I want to save that for another meal. I also freeze juice in ice cube trays, so I'll toss in one or two if I have on hand.

I don't really measure so these are approximates. I did measure it pretty carefully once (using the lesser amounts) and plugged into the recipe builder. 116 calories per serving, so that's a lot of nutrition for a little bit of calories. This is a great post-workout pick-me-up!
  • JullzGood
    JullzGood Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just freeze the bananas and the consistency will be a lot better. My Pre workout shake is a frozen banana, 12g of peanut butter, 41 grams of frozen spinach and Kale, and half a cup of almond milk. Tastes so good!