New to this site, considering bypass surgery

Options
I'm ready to give it one last shot at trying to lose on my own, without the help of surgery, but that's in the back of my mind. I'm 200+lbs overweight, and lived this way my entire life. Looking for some like minded people to help me along. Thanks,
Anna

Replies

• thekiakid
    thekiakid Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Trying to drop 130 myself. Idea of surgery scares me so until I give it a serious effort I won't do it. Down 30 so far. Food tracker seems to help me the most.
  • hrsj022
    hrsj022 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of losing 150 lbs! I'm 16lbs down..I know it's not fast but it's worth it. Learn as much as you can about healthy foods. It's been helpful. I have watched all the food documentaries on Netflix. It's been eye opening. Before you decide to have surgery..knowing people who have done it..it honestly seems harder then MFP! The side effects can be very rough!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • schwenkler22
    schwenkler22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids of those who've done it and talked with people whom i know personally. It seems scary, the different side effects, but I'm worried about if i don't do soon I'll keep gaining. Year by year i weigh more and more, even if i lose 40lbs in a few months i somehow gain it back.
  • schwenkler22
    Options
    thekiakid wrote: »
    I'm with you. Trying to drop 130 myself. Idea of surgery scares me so until I give it a serious effort I won't do it. Down 30 so far. Food tracker seems to help me the most.

Seems you've done well so far.
  • schwenkler22
    Options
    hrsj022 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of losing 150 lbs! I'm 16lbs down..I know it's not fast but it's worth it. Learn as much as you can about healthy foods. It's been helpful. I have watched all the food documentaries on Netflix. It's been eye opening. Before you decide to have surgery..knowing people who have done it..it honestly seems harder then MFP! The side effects can be very rough!

I can see where your coming from. What's your starting weight and goal weight?
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Get the surgery. My guess is you didn't get to be 200+ lbs overweight without trying to lose it on your own a bunch of times already. At least get the process started with your doctor, because they will make you lose weight before surgery anyway, so make this effort count towards that.

Surgery is no miracle cure, either, so go into it understanding that you're still going to have to do the hard work of eating right and exercising. Don't expect it to be easy - all surgery does is make it possible for you to stick with your weight loss effort long enough so that proper nutrition becomes a habit. But then you still have to actively work to maintain that habit.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Unless you address the habitual behavior of over eating, all surgery does is reduce what you can eat TILL it gets used to doing it again. There are lots and lots of stories of people who got gastric bypass that initially lose in the beginning but because they didn't deal with eating behavior, gained quite a bit back. And many times that behavior carries over to something else if they don't eat: alcohol consumption, gambling, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mkstan3
    mkstan3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Surgery is a valid option but is only part of the equation. Surgery is not a magic bullet or an easy fix. You have to work on your habits and be ready to change what and how you eat forever. Surgery does provide you with the platform to change. Skinny people have no idea the hormones and drive involved when you are obese to eat. Many weight loss surgeries eliminate that hormone response etc. I recommend discussing it with your Doc and getting all your options out there. There are many different procedures with different outcomes.
  • schwenkler22
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    Get the surgery. My guess is you didn't get to be 200+ lbs overweight without trying to lose it on your own a bunch of times already. At least get the process started with your doctor, because they will make you lose weight before surgery anyway, so make this effort count towards that.

Surgery is no miracle cure, either, so go into it understanding that you're still going to have to do the hard work of eating right and exercising. Don't expect it to be easy - all surgery does is make it possible for you to stick with your weight loss effort long enough so that proper nutrition becomes a habit. But then you still have to actively work to maintain that habit.

Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback.
  • schwenkler22
    Options
    mkstan3 wrote: »
    Surgery is a valid option but is only part of the equation. Surgery is not a magic bullet or an easy fix. You have to work on your habits and be ready to change what and how you eat forever. Surgery does provide you with the platform to change. Skinny people have no idea the hormones and drive involved when you are obese to eat. Many weight loss surgeries eliminate that hormone response etc. I recommend discussing it with your Doc and getting all your options out there. There are many different procedures with different outcomes.

Thank you for the insight, have been speaking with my doctor about the options.
  • schwenkler22
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Unless you address the habitual behavior of over eating, all surgery does is reduce what you can eat TILL it gets used to doing it again. There are lots and lots of stories of people who got gastric bypass that initially lose in the beginning but because they didn't deal with eating behavior, gained quite a bit back. And many times that behavior carries over to something else if they don't eat: alcohol consumption, gambling, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I've heard this a lot, i think the reason the surgery speaks to me is because it is a physical change to your stomach which makes it physically uncomfortable to overeat. I don't get full signals until I've eaten too much.