Should I keep going with C25K?

Options
Hi all,

Looking for some advice from you seasoned runners. I started C25K 3 weeks ago and was getting on really well and enjoying it but really found it hard to get into a good rhythm with my breathing/feet for such short burts of jogging. At the weekend I went out and ran 2 miles myself and found it much easier to get into.

Should I keep going with the intervals and build up gradually or just go out there and push myself a bit further every day? Any advice is greatly appreciated. x

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When I started, I didn't know anything about a C25K program, I just went out and ran as far as I could, which wasn't far, and walked the rest of the 30 minutes. I did that same distance (time actually, treadmill) till I could do that comfortably, then added to it a little at a time. I made it through the beginners stage without hurting myself, but it does take time. I am helping my wife go through the C25K program and I'm not sure I like it, but I do think it works.

My advice, no matter how you decide to do it, run slow and run often.
  • mbrtron
    mbrtron Posts: 45
    Options
    I think it's what works for you. I'm using C25K because I need some sort of structure and plan, it works well for me. I have a good friend who started running and she just ran until she couldn't then ran a little bit more, eventually she was running 5ks.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you can already go longer stretches of running, skip ahead to Weeks 5 or 6 or 7. See what works for you. Can't hurt to try!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    If you can already go longer stretches of running, skip ahead to Weeks 5 or 6 or 7. See what works for you. Can't hurt to try!
    This is good advice. You could also switch to the c210k program and start around week 6 or 7.
  • mbar2010
    mbar2010 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great advice. I went out and did 2.1miles yesterday and 2.4miles today - think I'm going to try and push myself a bit further each time and see how it goes!
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options

That was my suggestion. When I did it I skipped a week or two at the end. Once I hit the 20 minute run for a week I just started doing the 30minutes.
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you.

Fitness programs are designed to meet the needs of as many people as possible, but you are the only one that knows how your body feels doing it.

I started running with a group a few years ago, and there were some days I could do more, and other days I could do less. For example, when the weather was hot, I had to take more walk breaks than on days when it was cooler.
  • RonandDi
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great advice. I went out and did 2.1miles yesterday and 2.4miles today - think I'm going to try and push myself a bit further each time and see how it goes!

Way to go! You might want to pick a distance, like 3 miles, once you get to that distance, start timing yourself 1 or 2 days a week and try to do it a little faster each time. I still think long and slow is the biggest help for getting your endurance up, but the shorter fast runs are nice to help you see the improvements.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great job on pushing yourself! Do what works for you! I am not sure if I ever did finish the c25k program - by the time I reached week 7 or 8 I was running a 5k, so I just kept it up. I eventually got myself up to a half marathon by doing what you are doing. I needed the structure at first, but then figured it out for me by the end.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Way to go! You might want to pick a distance, like 3 miles, once you get to that distance, start timing yourself 1 or 2 days a week and try to do it a little faster each time. I still think long and slow is the biggest help for getting your endurance up, but the shorter fast runs are nice to help you see the improvements.

No, don't time yourself. Don't worry about how long it takes you. Just go out and run easy. Continue to add distance a little at a time. If you start out with 3 days, eventually add a 4th day. The goal in the beginning it to just get time on your feet. The more you run, the faster you will become. All this, without trying to run faster. Just keep it at a conversational pace for right now. If you can't talk to someone while you are running, you are running too fast. After 6 months of easy running, then we can talk about adding in some workouts at different speeds.

If you want to see your progress, sign up for a 5K.
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree - do what works for you, but make sure you're listening to your body! I pushed myself too hard and put myself out of commission for 2 weeks with an IT Band flare up caused by pushing myself to go too far! Back on the road again just yesterday! Back to taking baby steps! :)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, I'm a cyclist and I'm sure some of the concepts apply. I do long training rides and short training rides. On the long training rides I don't worry about speed, but I ride a long distance with little or no rest at a slow easy pace. On my short rides I do sprints and go as hard as I can, for a specific length of time (the length changes depending on where I am in my training). Then I recover and do it again. The amazing thing is these short all outs are really where my muscles grow and it makes me ride faster with less effort on my long rides.
  • RonandDi
    Options

No, don't time yourself. Don't worry about how long it takes you. Just go out and run easy. Continue to add distance a little at a time. If you start out with 3 days, eventually add a 4th day. The goal in the beginning it to just get time on your feet. The more you run, the faster you will become. All this, without trying to run faster. Just keep it at a conversational pace for right now. If you can't talk to someone while you are running, you are running too fast. After 6 months of easy running, then we can talk about adding in some workouts at different speeds.

I disagree, timing yourself is a good way to see how much you have improved. I don't think it helps you get better, but it will show progress. Besides, what is the difference between timing yourself and signing up for a 5k?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I disagree, timing yourself is a good way to see how much you have improved. I don't think it helps you get better, but it will show progress. Besides, what is the difference between timing yourself and signing up for a 5k?

There is a big difference. When you are training your aerobic system, it doesn't matter how slowly you run. If your heart rate is between about 65% and 85% of MHR, you are getting the same benefit. There is no need to go faster. So, you just run easy.

You test you fitness in races when you can go all out to see where you have improved. If you go out and try to run every run (or even one run per week) as hard as you can, it is counter-productive. It inhibits your ability to become fit and it poses a potential injury risk.

Just to give you an example that I am not just blowing smoke. My easy run pace ranges from 10:30 per mile to about 8:45 per mile, depending upon how I am feeling on a given day. I don't try to push it on easy runs, which is about 85% of the total mileage that I run. My easy run pace has not changed in the last 5 years, yet I've lopped 2:30 off my 5K time, dropping the pace almost an entire minute per mile, from low 7:00s to low 6:00s.

Train easy, race hard. It's a time proven method.