Can I eat whatever I want with limited calories and loss weight??

So one of my friends told me that if I want to loss weight it doesn't matter what I'm eating, what does matter is how much I'm eating. So let's say my body burns a day about 2000 calories, if I ate 1700 calories of junks and whatever I want to eat per day am I still going to loss weight???

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Yes.

Although, you probably shouldn't eat a bunch of junk that isn't going to keep you feeling full and satisfied. You should still pay attention to nutrition. I usually try to balance the two equally while fitting them into my calorie allotment. However, from a weight loss standpoint, all that matters is calories.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Ever hear of the "Twinkie diet"? It was a diet to prove that theory right, and of course caught on and became a dumb diet. But long story short, he DID lose weight. But obviously you don't want to do that. Eating a bunch of sugar is harmful and obviously did some damage to his body over the course of the experiment.

So yes -- if you enjoy something i always encourage people not to take it out. Because once you lose the weight, and go back to a 'normal' diet, you're more than likely going to gain back and maybe even more. The key is to learn moderation.

I enjoy having chocolate milk, but i learned to drink a CUP (i mean an actual measuring cup) worth instead of a big glass. That the homemade brownies i eat, was more like DOUBLE the calories that i originally thought.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Yes but your body won't be getting the nutrients it needs for health. You also won't be able to eat a lot in terms of volume since junk is high in calories and therefore you might feel hungry through the day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Yes. Your friend is right. :)
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Yes! As others said, that's certainly not suggested, but it's what makes transitioning to a healthy lifestyle so much easier. The goal is to make adjustments that you can live with forever, not to put yourself on some strict diet that only allows you to eat certain foods. As long as you are tracking, eating everything in moderation and eating less than you are burning, you WILL lose weight. It's really best to eat lots of healthy foods and to eat small treats here and there, though, for overall health and to be more satisfied.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Yes
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yes

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yes, but it will be muscle. Your body fat percentage will go up. You will become the dreaded "Skinny-fat" person.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Yes.

The average varied diet contains all the nutrients you need. Less food, but enough, will still keep you healthy AND lose weight.
  • scarlettsdad13
    scarlettsdad13 Posts: 141 Member
    Personally I eat exactly the same as before but count the calories so portion sizes can be smaller than before. I'll still eat pizza, kebab, white bread etc.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    While your friend is technically correct, using calories as the only factor when selecting foods is not an approach I would recommend. I would also recommend considering the nutrient profile of foods and satiety. There is a lot of individual variation in what people find satiating - for me, it is dependent on volume. I like to eat a lot of food, so I choose to eat a lot of foods with low calorie density. For my husband, eating sufficient protein and limiting carbs seems to keep his appetite in check. I have also heard of people who find incorporating fat into their meals and snacks keeps them satiated. With nutrients, I think you can be flexible, but should strive to meet the minimum requirements, if not daily, then certainly over the course of a week.

While it can seem easier to just single-mindedly restrict calories, that approach can lead to crash diets that are not sustainable (such as the legendary Twinkie Diet). Incorporating some empty calories (such as Twinkies or other calorific treats with few nutrients) into your eating plan can help make your plan enjoyable and sustainable, eating a diet comprised solely of such foods is probably not a realistic long term way of eating because you aren't likely to find it satiating and it doesn't contain sufficient nutrients to meet your body's basic needs.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    KarimNaim wrote: »
    So one of my friends told me that if I want to loss weight it doesn't matter what I'm eating, what does matter is how much I'm eating. So let's say my body burns a day about 2000 calories, if I ate 1700 calories of junks and whatever I want to eat per day am I still going to loss weight???

Yes.
  • James12315
    James12315 Posts: 30 Member
    Yes you will lose weight but you will also feel incredibly hungry as your body won't be getting important nutrients it needs from junk food. The more nutritious your food is the better chance you have of sustaining your diet and generally will feel fuller on a lower calorie diet.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    KarimNaim wrote: »

You are. Now are you going to be healthy? Not sure... But you are going to lose weight. Best thing would be to eat 80% real food, 20% junk in order to lose AND stay healthy :)
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Yes, but be sure to weigh (not measure) your food and follow the serving size.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Google: Malnourishment and its effects on the body.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    While your friend is technically correct, using calories as the only factor when selecting foods is not an approach I would recommend. I would also recommend considering the nutrient profile of foods and satiety. There is a lot of individual variation in what people find satiating - for me, it is dependent on volume. I like to eat a lot of food, so I choose to eat a lot of foods with low calorie density. For my husband, eating sufficient protein and limiting carbs seems to keep his appetite in check. I have also heard of people who find incorporating fat into their meals and snacks keeps them satiated. With nutrients, I think you can be flexible, but should strive to meet the minimum requirements, if not daily, then certainly over the course of a week.

While it can seem easier to just single-mindedly restrict calories, that approach can lead to crash diets that are not sustainable (such as the legendary Twinkie Diet). Incorporating some empty calories (such as Twinkies or other calorific treats with few nutrients) into your eating plan can help make your plan enjoyable and sustainable, eating a diet comprised solely of such foods is probably not a realistic long term way of eating because you aren't likely to find it satiating and it doesn't contain sufficient nutrients to meet your body's basic needs.

Nice post.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    ziggy2006 wrote: »

Just FYI the Twinkie Diet was a time bound scientific experiment meant to prove the exact point that the OP is asking about. The person who did it was not attempting a crash diet or planning to sustain it forever.

People often use extreme examples such as this one as if a person of reasonable common sense would actually engage in a single food diet like all twinkies or nothing but Doritos. Not saying that's what you were suggesting, and I agree with your post about finding the types of foods that work best for the individual with regards to satiety, while still getting adequate nutrition (macros and micros) and enable you to maintain a calorie deficit for weight loss purposes. And then if you have room, throw in some ice cream or Doritos if you like. :)
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    James12315 wrote: »
    Yes you will lose weight but you will also feel incredibly hungry as your body won't be getting important nutrients it needs from junk food. The more nutritious your food is the better chance you have of sustaining your diet and generally will feel fuller on a lower calorie diet.

I agree with you!

My experience with a high calorie snack at times, gave me the feeling of depression soon after eating the food. It was not guilt that depressed me but some inner thing going on in my body.

I have incorporated a daily 120 calorie icecream cone and daily lite beer because these are an everyday foods I eat & drink.

I prelog all the foods that I may end up eating for the day and often times I do not eat all the foods, so they are deleted. Yesterday, part of the day was eating junk. I stayed under calorie. I walk at least 3x week, so I can eat more foods that I love.

When i ate correctly wirh macros balanced, I lost cravings for certain foods.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Gotta love how people always jump to the conclusion that whoever is asking that is planning on eating nothing but snickers bars all day long.