What's wrong with this picture?

Options
schaapj2
schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
The following things were said to me on Monday:

Do more cardio and less lifting. You dont want to build the muscles up underneath and push that fat out and make you look bigger than you are.

and

You need to eat carbs. You want to have enough energy so that you can lose weight and build muscle.

....by the way, this was said to me by a certified nutritionist.

As a background, I'm eating at a deficit. I am gluten free because I have found that gluten, and a high carb diet in general gives me headaches, extreme fatigue, and mental dullness. And I did a true elimination diet and have since found that wheat ,and more broadly, refined carbs are the trigger. I still get all my carbs from fruits and veggies just fine. I average about 33% per week.

How can a nutritionist be this uneducated. Maybe she was just trying to say something else and this came out instead, but these statements are highly inaccurate according to my understanding.

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this answer, because of being diabetic I saw their nutritionist once, she handed me her standard diet
    it was 75% carbs, she sat there telling me I could eat that much and still have control over my glucose. I laughed in her face.

I think she was confused from her carb induced brain fog, what she meant to say would you please donate your life savings by adopting this diet all proceeds will go to help support your local pharmacy union for life!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You do not have to have any sort of degree to be a "nutritionist" basically I could say I'm a nutritionist because I have studied nutrition by reading the forums on MFP. You want to see a Registered Dietitian, they have to go through a rigorous accredited program.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    That is bogus, as I'm sure you already know!

You probably already know that you can get good carbs from fruits and veggies, not just by grains and sugar.

I work for a doctor, and frankly, I am wondering why they feel like you always need a drug to help fix you. OBVIOUSLY there is a time and place for medications, but to see just how easily they are given out to people, before any emphasis is placed on a healthy diet, well, it's frustrating to say the least. I am wondering if your "nutritionist" is backed by any drug companies or supplement suppliers.

If you've been on an elimination diet, i do not understand why a trained "pro" would recommend that you eat foods that you already know do not make you feel good.
    I hope that you are able to navigate the world of nutrition on your own, or get some better suggestions from fellow MFP buddies!
    Good luck ;)
  • schaapj2
    Options
    Just as an update, she is a registered outpatient dietitian.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You dont want to build the muscles up underneath and push that fat out and make you look bigger than you are.

Why is a dietician concerned about this? Doesn't sound legit to me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Just like in all professions, some people just aren't very good at tit.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've found over time that your average nutritionist or dietician is a complete idiot that has been spoon fed the recommendations of the USDA, FDA and other government agencies (here in the US anyway) and can't objectively look at research and come to conclusions other than "You need to eat grains!!".

The advice they give to diabetics is practically criminal, because they should know that eating a ton of carbs is NEVER going to help them keep their blood sugar and insulin under control. Eating that way for weight loss is also a complete joke.

I find more and more that I've gotten better advice from well read naturopaths than most doctors.

As a general rule, everything that the dietician said in the OP should be completely ignored, do the exact opposite and results will likely follow.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a picture. Please post one.

oh, your nutritionist is crazy.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Registered dietitians are human. They can have their own "agenda"/opinions - even when not supported by science. I just took a free online nutrition course from Vanderbilt U. through Coursera and there's a repeat of one I took from UCSF coming up really soon - both promote "fact based" recommendations and the Vanderbilt course in particular seemed very open minded relative to changes in "theory" as new data is presented. I'd advise being proactive and learning all you can about nutrition from "trusted sources" (and then form your own opinions based on what works for you)
  • schaapj2
    Options
    I've found over time that your average nutritionist or dietician is a complete idiot that has been spoon fed the recommendations of the USDA, FDA and other government agencies (here in the US anyway) and can't objectively look at research and come to conclusions other than "You need to eat grains!!".

The advice they give to diabetics is practically criminal, because they should know that eating a ton of carbs is NEVER going to help them keep their blood sugar and insulin under control. Eating that way for weight loss is also a complete joke.

I find more and more that I've gotten better advice from well read naturopaths than most doctors.

As a general rule, everything that the dietician said in the OP should be completely ignored, do the exact opposite and results will likely follow.

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I plan to do-I've had great success with ignoring what she said thus far.
    1. Lifting is the way to go
    2. You can't build muscle at a deficit (at least not long term)
    3. I still do cardio and don't have plans to eliminate it...but I certainly wont eliminate or reduce my lifting
    4. I haven't had a gain in inches yet from lifting and doing less cardio
    5. I'm not eating something that I've found makes me feel worse
    6. I've lost more weight not eating wheat and by going gluten free
    7.I'll keep doing what I'm doing kthanks :P
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a picture. Please post one.

oh, your nutritionist is crazy.

Beat me to it... :wink:

But yea that's rather depressing. It's no wonder people have trouble losing weight and just being healthy when there's "professionals" like this spouting all sorts of nonsense.

If you find you feel healthier without eating gluten then obviously keep doing that... I don't think headaches and fatigue are a cure for anything.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I once had a trainer at my gym tell me not to bother with weights or crunches since building up muscle will make me look bigger and I won't be able to lose the fat. I'm not sure where people get these ideas.

And as others have said - you already know that a diet high in carbs is not going to make you feel well. Listen to your body.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder what the registered dietician is going to tell me when I finally have my appointment. I went to one a few years back at the other hospital in my area and I kid you not, her office was inside the cafeteria next to get this, the chips and cookies. WTF? She was useless and told me to curb my sugar cravings to eat fruit cocktail with chocolate sauce. Then handed me a few pages about the diabetes diet. WHAT?????????????? Recently I was put on blood pressure pills from my Dr. This should go over like a lead balloon. It just goes to prove that just because you have a degree in a particular field doesn't mean you know what the hell your doing. :explode:
  • schaapj2
    Options
    I did my own research. It made me chuckle to know that I was more up on dieting and nutrition than she was. I plan on only going to her to get my RMR tested. Past that....I'll stick with what's working.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Go see a registered Dietitian instead of a nutritionist. Pretty much anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

ETA: I see she is a dietitian in your later post, you may want to get her to explain what she means and how it would work, see if she understands, and then tell her what you already know to see her reaction/thoughts.
  • _G4BR13L_
    _G4BR13L_ Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    3. I still do cardio and don't have plans to eliminate it...but I certainly wont eliminate or reduce my lifting
    [/quote]

This
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just like in all professions, some people just aren't very good at tit.

^^^ This
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    this is why we all need to do our own research. don't trust what anyone says solely. lol
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I plan to do-I've had great success with ignoring what she said thus far.

IMHO, you're a LOT smart than the so-called dietician. Keep doing what you're doing.