Pleas help!! My protein intake!

Options
2»

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you want a natural protein then lean means are your best choice with dairy such as cheeses and greek yogurts being a close second. Otherise you will need to use protein powder which you can get in vegetarian form if you choose to go that method.

I honestly suggest you commit to eating more leans meats and learning different ways to cook it to enjoy it so that you can ensure you are getting enough protein in everyday.

I eat scrambled egg whites (250g) and 1/4 cup of partly skimmed shredded mozzarella with two slices of bacon for breakfast (it's high fat but not a big deal). For lunch 1 full size chicken breast seasoned with lemon and herb seasoning (low sodium) on a herb lettuce salad (2 cups approx) and about 1 tbsp of salad dressing. Then for supper I have a 6oz sirloin steak cooked with 1 tbsp of beef stock (low sodium) with a dash of salt and pepper with a quarter cup each of corn (pieces), peas and carrots.

That alone which doesn't include 2 snacks, pre workout food and post workout food is about 1260 cals, 34 g carbs, 175g protein and 44g fat. If that gives you a good idea on how to including more lean meats in your diet can help increase your protein intake :)

Good luck!
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Quest Protein bars? I love them and they are 20-21 grams of protein filled with fiber. Yummy! Lots of people pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. Light and fit dannon greek yogurt has protein, cheese, cottage cheese, peanuts, almonds,
    Do you like Pork chops? steak? fish?

Crockpot recipe:
    4 frozen boneless chicken breast placed in pot
    1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1 jar salsa

Mix ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook 4-6 hours, shred chicken with a fork. ADD cheese. This is yummy.
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also have a recipe for Cream cheese Protein pancakes that are wonderful This key is for the skillet to be hot before pouring

2 oz. cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 tsp cinnomon

Mix and pour in skillet. 208 calories, 6.6 carbs, 6.2 sugar, 20 protein

Topping suggestions:

sugar free cool whip
    Greek yogurt
    I can't believe it's not butter
    cinnomon
    Frozen no sugar added fruit--mircorwaved
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, which I love, is NOT high in protein. I see that a lot and it's a fallacy. It has 8 of the essential amino's yes, but not a great quantity of them.

It's a complete protein.. however as you pointed out isn't packed with protein though.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What makes quinoa (keen-waa) unique is that it is a grain that is a complete protein. So, while it not be high in protein as someone stated, it is a complete protein by itself. I love to use it in place of couscous in a salad.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Adding hemp powder might help too. I think 3 tbsp is 80 cals and 11 grams. Not too bad and it blends right in.
  • shierrarobin
    shierrarobin Posts: 181
    Options
    You could always buy protein powder. I have two containers of vanilla and chocolate protein powder that my mamaw just gave me. I'm going to be trying them out tomorrow when I work out. I've heard good things about the protein powder.
  • aslavick
    aslavick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A filling snack I have discovered for evening snacking at home is frozen mukimame (shelled soybeans, like edamame, only without the pods). I usually prepare 1/2 or 1 cup, depending how hungry I feel. It's simple (boil, drain, and put on a little salt), quick (boil for 5 to 6 minutes), reasonably priced (I think the bag costs $2.79 and contains 5 1/2 cup servings), easy prep (open the freezer, open the bag, dump into boiling water), easy to eat (they are already shelled), low cal (120 calories per 1/2 cup serving), moderately high protein (12 g per 1/2 cup), and I can honestly say, it's one of those foods that stick with me as far as feeling full. If I eat a serving (or sometimes two when I'm totally starving), I don't feel hungry for the rest of the night, and sometimes I'm not even hungry at breakfast.

Adding protein at snack-time might help you reach your daily protein goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame has 14g protein per 30 g serving. Soy is also a complete protein (contains all of the essential amino acids)
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    What makes quinoa (keen-waa) unique is that it is a grain that is a complete protein. So, while it not be high in protein as someone stated, it is a complete protein by itself. I love to use it in place of couscous in a salad.

:) And it's good for dietary fiber too -- I eat it almost every day mixed with whole grain rices.

On the topic of being a complete protein recent studies suggest that isn't really accurate -- actually what isn't accurate is that other grains are not -- and the level of essential amino's in order to be called a 'complete' protein is very subjective. Furthermore, you can simply eat beans and rice in the same day and get a complete protein that way (doesn't have to be the same dish or meal) but we love quinoa and add it to rice all the time.

Someone mentioned that it wasn't flavorful but I disagree and it's almost nutty flavor is quite excellent :)

I'll be eating some with sprouted rice and quinoa and short grain brown rice for lunch with a tbs of olive oil and some low sodium seasonings :) It's a daily staple here.

But as I eat it daily I am familiar with the small amount of protein it contains and supplement my protein intake with powders and bars in order to balance my cals and continue my weight-loss. I'm a big meat eater but I can get more protein and less cals this way.
  • SouthernGuns
    Options
    Thank you! Each and every one! I do like crab chicken and egg whites and nuts.
    I only like pork every once in a while. No beef. I do like poultry chick and turkey.
    Ill take all of y'all things and work something into my diet. I do eat eggs every day just about. But it's still not enough.
    So ill put y'all's freindly help to use!! Thank you all so much!!