Snack Ideas for Carb Cravings

Options
tisdalla
tisdalla Posts: 32 Member
Hi,

I wanted to ask for suggestions for snack ideas when you're craving carbs... I struggle with hormone related cravings and the past few days/week I've been consuming a lot of sugary "snacks". I'm having a hard time staying within my calorie budget because of all the junk (obviously - lol).

Any go-to snacks would be greatly appreciated;)

~Lindsay

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I like "Skinny Girl popcorn." I love a nice juicy Gala apple too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @tisdalla welcome to MFP forums. While I no longer physically crave carbs after ditching sugar and all forms of grains for pain management 1.5 years ago I do try to keep containers of organic raw cashews and macadamia nuts in the car for a fast healthy snack. Most anything that works to keep me off carbs seems to be good for my health personally speaking. Best of success.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Craving carbs? Eat some carbs. I enjoy a bowl of oatmeal any time of day, with stuff added to it if it fits my calories. I always add cinnamon. Other additions (alone or in combination) cocoa powder, PB2 powder (it's peanut butter powder), chopped apple, chopped banana, frozen cherries. A serving (1/2 cup before cooking) of old fashioned oats is 150 calories.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you trying to avoid carbs, or are you looking for carb loaded snacks within a calorie range?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For hormones, honestly I strongly suggest avoiding refined sugars and flours at that time of the month altogether... it got rid of the cravings for me. I can have some after dinner but otherwise, it just sets me off and I crave all the carbs...

But eat all the good carbs - fruit, whole grains (pasta, barley, oats), veggies, beans.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Craving carbs? Eat some carbs. I enjoy a bowl of oatmeal any time of day, with stuff added to it if it fits my calories. I always add cinnamon. Other additions (alone or in combination) cocoa powder, PB2 powder (it's peanut butter powder), chopped apple, chopped banana, frozen cherries. A serving (1/2 cup before cooking) of old fashioned oats is 150 calories.

This! The only hormone affected by carbs is insulin. If you have an issue with that you need to get a few fasting blood tests and be evaluated.
    If it's only around your cycle it's normal and if you want carbs eat carbs.
  • tisdalla
    tisdalla Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's cycle related hormones that I struggle with. I think I've just been using it as an excuse to indulge more than anything else;) I need to have some smarted choices lined up so I don't fall prey to the junk.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I really like air popped popcorn. And Goldfish Pretzel Crackers. I just weigh them out first. Eating out of the bag is a big no no.

But, I second the, if you are craving it I feel it's best not to eat it at all. Wait and see if the craving goes away. If you avoid things like that for 14 days, typically they just don't sound good any more.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas. So good.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I upped my protein and fiber and my cravings went away.
    Someone here told me this. Worked !
    Protein goal = 68 grams a day.
    Fiber goal = 25 grams a day.
    Sugars under 50 grams a day.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like having some fruit but pairing it with protein and fat like peanut butter or cheese. This way I get my sweet but also get fiber and protein to slow carb digestion.