VEGAN!!!!

Options
Hello everyone. I have decided to go vegan, I know it will be a huge lifestyle change but I know if I put my mind to it I can do it.
So I guess my question/want here is Vegan friends, with information that might be able to help me make this transition. Feel free to add me or send me a message with anything that will help.
I was surprised how little info I found on a few websites.
Thanks in advance..
I look forward to this transition and making new friends to help along the way

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 5 years or so. Be prepared to get skinny-fat and malnourished, unless you're paying very special attention to your diet and exercise every day.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try this MFP Group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
    You can find more at the "group" option, dark blue banner above
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 5 years or so. Be prepared to get skinny-fat and malnourished, unless you're paying very special attention to your diet and exercise every day.

what kind of nonsense is this. SMH
    Have you learned nothing being on this forum for so long?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »

For me I just ended up eating nothing but pasta, polenta and bread. Not exactly the most nutritious diet and it was low in protein + I didn't work out... This was before there was much information about the diet on the internet and definitely before MFP existed, and before there were lots of decent vegan foods on the market. So it's probably easier today...

A vegan diet is basically the recipe for getting skinny fat if you are not paying attention to your diet an exercise.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

For me I just ended up eating nothing but pasta, polenta and bread. Not exactly the most nutritious diet and it was low in protein + I didn't work out... This was before there was much information about the diet on the internet and definitely before MFP existed, and before there were lots of decent vegan foods on the market. So it's probably easier today...

A vegan diet is basically the recipe for getting skinny fat if you are not paying attention to your diet an exercise.

Oh so you meant- you were "skinny fat" due to various reasons but blamed it all on vegan diet. I see.

How did you miss lentils, legumes, vegetables, nuts are few example of nutrient rich food.

Btw I'm a vegetarian (no meat/fish/eggs) only milk and variants.

• galgenstrick
    Options

Oh so you meant- you were "skinny fat" due to various reasons but blamed it all on vegan diet. I see.

How did you miss lentils, legumes, vegetables, nuts are few example of nutrient rich food.

Btw I'm a vegetarian (no meat/fish/eggs) only milk and variants.

The vast majority of what you eat every day would need to come from those sources -- So I would say that would be paying special attention to what you eat. If you just eat whatever is vegan and whatever is available, you probably wouldn't be eating enough nutrients to stay healthy and maintain muscle.
  • Pandalove_goes_vegan
    Pandalove_goes_vegan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try this MFP Group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
    You can find more at the "group" option, dark blue banner above

Thank you
  • Pandalove_goes_vegan
    Pandalove_goes_vegan Posts: 15 Member
    Options

i found some supplements for the deficiencies that may occur with the lifestyle change, and i do plan to work out with cardio and strength training's. Thank you for the concern though. I appreciate it
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Some of the most healthiest people in the world are vegans and vegetarians. Pamela Anderson is vegan. Also a number of other Hollywood stars are vegan or vegetarian. I am vegetarian and my health is excellent. Easy to get enough protein and all the amino acids. Go online to reputable sights and do the research. Smart move. You won't be sorry.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian now? If not, I'd suggest baby stepping to vegan. Also - why do you want to become a vegan?
  • JAHADDIX
    JAHADDIX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I personally never had the resolve to eat healthy as a vegan, I did it for two years and decided to step back to vegetarian when the blood-work from my yearly physical came back with really dismal results. It is possible to do it! I know people who went on really healthy vegan diets, you just have to be prepared to cook a lot, because the alternative is snacking on vegan options, and that gets boring fast. Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This sounds like a good reason not to eat nothing but pasta, polenta, and bread. It's much less compelling as an argument against veganism. Vegans typically eat a lot of foods in addition to pasta, polenta, and bread. It doesn't require a lot of special attention once you get the hang of it.
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Research, and lots of it, was my best friend when I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan. I still research random things quite often. I have no trouble getting variety in my diet or hitting protein goals (I'm usually over). My issue is usually low fat, but that could be easily fixed if I wanted to. Good luck!