Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much protein does one really need?

Options
kittybitty01
kittybitty01 Posts: 8 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
So in this quest to better my eating habits I have come across a variety of standpoints on protein. Some say 1-2g per lbs of bodyweight, others say .8g per lbs of lean body weight, etc. I'm really not sure who to believe now. Any studies/opinions?

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    The official recommended amount in the U.S. is 0.36 g/lb of bodyweight. However, most people will say (and several studies have confirmed) that this is only appropriate for people who are sedentary and trying to maintain their weight (and that's really more a minimum for people in that situation). Otherwise, those engaged in regular exercise will want to aim for more, and the same for those trying to lose weight. Once you go above 1 g/lb of lean body mass, there is little to no direct benefit for most people as there is only so much protein the body can utilize.
    However, some people may fine it easier to stay satiated eating more, so from that standpoint that would be a personal reason why someone may want to go higher than that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
  • kittybitty01
    Options
    The official recommended amount in the U.S. is 0.36 g/lb of bodyweight. However, most people will say (and several studies have confirmed) that this is only appropriate for people who are sedentary and trying to maintain their weight (and that's really more a minimum for people in that situation). Otherwise, those engaged in regular exercise will want to aim for more, and the same for those trying to lose weight. Once you go above 1 g/lb of lean body mass, there is little to no direct benefit for most people as there is only so much protein the body can utilize.
    However, some people may fine it easier to stay satiated eating more, so from that standpoint that would be a personal reason why someone may want to go higher than that.

Thank you! Very helpful!
  • kittybitty01
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Wonderful!! Thank you so much!
  • Rob_Drewry
    Rob_Drewry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not near as much as some might have you believe. Protein consumption is also goal dependent. If you're looking to build muscle, you could add a bit more. MFP calculates your daily needs for you, based on the average person's needs. I suggest using that and as a starting point, adjusting up or down depending on your goals.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Most of the sources I've seen give figures closer to .8 - 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight, not per pound.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    That's the RDI, and all you need for health. The higher amounts are aimed at preserving lean mass when losing weight (there are some studies showing less loss at the same deficit) or athletic performance or, of course, building muscle.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/can-protein-intake-lead-to-more-favorable-changes-in-body-composition/

In a 2013 study published in the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) Journal, 39 recreationally-fit adults were split into three groups. Each group was put on a calorie-reduced diet for 3 weeks with their calorie intake being restricted by 30% and physical activity being increased by 10% for a 40% deficit in energy.

The difference between groups was that one group consumed the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for protein, which is 0.36 g/lbs. per day. That’s about 64.8 grams of protein for a man who weighs 180 pounds. The second group consumed twice the RDA (0.72 g/lbs. per day), while the third group consumed three times the RDA (1.09 g/lbs. per day). In all three groups, dietary fat made up 30% of their diet with carbohydrates making up the remainder of the calories. Additionally, all groups followed a cardio- and weight-training program, but it was relatively mild.

The results showed that all three groups lost around the same amount of body weight. However, the groups who consumed double and triple the RDA for protein lost more fat and less muscle mass.

What’s interesting is that there wasn’t much of a difference in fat and muscle mass between the groups who ate two and three times more protein. That being said, it would be interesting to see if a more strenuous workout would favor the higher protein intake (3X the RDA). Regardless, the take-home message is clear – if you’re looking to lose fat and preserve muscle while dieting then you may want to go with a higher protein intake, however, there comes a point where more isn’t necessarily better and you need to find the amount that works best for you.

Pasiakos, SM et al. (2013) Effects of high-protein diets on fat-free mass and muscle protein synthesis following weight loss: a randomized controlled trial. FASEB J. Sep;27(9):3837-47.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I read awhile ago and have been informed by multiple trainers that even the .8g per lb is for highly active body builders, and one could get away with less
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    75 g/day is enough during a calorie restricted PSMF diet for most people, apparently. Most people don't go to gyms either, so this guideline won't appeal to weightlifters etc.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm not the scientific side of MFP but my macros are 45%c / 30%f / 25%p for a goal of 101g of protein a day. For my weight that's .4g/lb.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Usually the higher protein recs are based on LBM (.8-1 g/lb) or goal weight (.6-.85 g/lb).
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    On my last cut I averaged 90g with barely any strength loss and no visually noticeable muscle loss. I think the number MFP gives is plenty.
  • cosme_123in
    cosme_123in Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1gram of protein per pound of body weight.. Standard rule n to maintain muscle mass
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dont believe anyone. They are probably just trying to make money...
  • robsmy5606rm569
    robsmy5606rm569 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1 gram per pound of lean body weight
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Anyone want to address the arguments that there's some negative effects of animal protein? (You know, China Study, McDougall, etc.) I've read Denise Minger (who I like) and various responses, but I'd like to see a debate between the two camps.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    .8g per lbs of lean body weight is correct. Any formula based on total body weight will be inaccurate. Only Lean Body Mass requires Protein to build/maintain it. Fat does not.
This discussion has been closed.