p90x start date July 1st but scared!

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
Hi all,

I plan to start p90x on July 1st. My gym membership expires the end of June and I have been wanting to try this but, truthfully, I am scared. I am afraid that the large time commitment will get me after awhile.

I am also afraid that I can't do it.

And worse yet...I have held p90x up as the gold medal of exercise and fitness but what if it doesn't work for me?

Not sure where all of the insecurities are coming from. Any encouragement is appreciated. Anyone else interested in starting in July?

D

Replies

• nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm actually in the process of getting the DVDs from a friend right now and I too am getting ready to start! I'm TERRIFIED!!!!!!!! I want to tell myself, "YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS", but what if I really can't and am just a big weenie?! :sad:
  • jlynch0511
    jlynch0511 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of it. My husband does it, I've joined from time to time, but I really love going to the gym more. Anyway, it's a good program. It's easy on the joints, and all the excerices are custom. He shows you how to make them harder or easier depending on the level of fitness you are at. You will really enjoy it. Don't be afraid, pop it in the DVD player and go. :-)
  • missyfoo7
    missyfoo7 Posts: 6
    Options
    My sister has been doing it for 2 weeks now. Her username is surfbabe. Look her up.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Work at your pace. As Tony says "do your best and forget the rest."

Just stick with it and if you follow the nutrition plan you will have MAJOR results, I promise. It may not result in a huge weight loss but the body fat will start dropping off and your clothes will be hanging off you.

I will have completed my 3rd round in 5 weeks.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You can do it Dee Dee!!!! (Besides, would Bella lie? :noway: )
  • ccaruso219
    ccaruso219 Posts: 92
    Options
    I just started P90x this week....It took me 6 months to order the program. I thought it was going to be intimidating too. It's not, it is just intense.... The exercises are easy to follow and do, he shows modifications and emphasizes to go at your own pace. Its similar in style (ONLY) to JM 30 day shred. There are also 3 different versions you can do. There is lean if you are looking to lose weight, more cardio based, classics which is all of the 12 workouts and then there is doubles for the advanced workouts.

I think it was worth the investment. Its an hour a day in your own living room. You are getting a lifetime of workouts for the price of a session or 2 with a personal trainer. Once you sign up there is a link to a fitness test to see if you are capable of doing the exercises. You can get it before you order P90x. Here is the link....Good Luck you won't regret it....

http://teambeachbody.com/signup/wlc_index.htm
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I have faith in you too!!!! I'll plan to start in October just as you finish - maybe you'll want to join me for a 2nd 90 days.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Work at your pace. As Tony says "do your best and forget the rest."

Tony also says 'Just keep pushing play!"

Do what you can, follow the plan, pause the DVD when you need to, take a longer break than they do (on DVD). Just keep doing it. Soon you will be right in there with them. You have nothing to fear. Just don't try to be Tony right out of the gate. Build yourself up. Tony shows you serveral variations of almost every routine. You can do it.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    DeeDee, Hang in there! You have already jumped a HUGE hurdle with the 36 pounds that you have lost! Give yourself some credit. You spent all this time believing in yourself enough to lose the weight, then to get up the courage to order P90X, now tell yourself those DVD's aren't going to do ANYTHING for you in a closet on a shelf! *PATTING YOU ON THE BACK* GOOD LUCK, AND KEEP US POSTED. You CAN do this!
  • s_perdue
    s_perdue Posts: 11
    Options
    hi there! I recently finished the p90x program. you CAN do it!!! it is hard, but not impossible. Finding the time can be a challenge, it is 6 days a week. I stopped being frustrated about halfway through, and starting looking forward to my workouts (or the rush and sense of accomplishment after finishing them). Don't be discouraged the first week, it gets easier (or maybe I should say, not quite as hard!!) There are three levels to the program: lean, classic, and doubles. I used the lean program, as I didn't want to bulk up too much. I did not follow the nutrition plan and alas, I did not lose much weight, however, I'm down 7.5 inches! So try your hardest to eat like Tony tells you to, especially the total calories. it seems insane to eat 1900 calories in a day, but its necessary to fuel your workouts. My fitness coach told me I was basically starving myself by only eating 13-1500 a day. But this site should help keep track of calories. There are no preset p90x exercises on here. I just substituted. Kickboxing for kenpo, yoga=yoga, aerobics for the cardio, and so forth. You can also buy a decent heart rate monitor and it will trace how many calories you burn and you can enter it into this site.

good luck and do your best!!!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i tried to start 3 weeks ago, bad idea, as i am in the busiest 8 weeks of the year. i am out in the heat everyday and exhausted by the time i get home at 6:30 cook dinner, get the kids ready for bed. I am ready for bed. i must say i love these dvd's and wish i could commint to 6 days but i just can't right now. so i have been doing them 2-4 days a week for the last 2 weeks and i still feel great and can see a slight difference in my body already. Come september i am commiting 120% i am sooooo excited.

Tony makes it fun and entertaining, and you dont realize you are working so hard.

i am a property manager on a vacation island, i see bikinis all day, this is the best motivation and yet i am just too tired at the end of the day.

Just keep hitting play, and do what you can.
  • jandv1991
    jandv1991 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love P90x. I have been doing it for 2 weeks now and have seen the effects already. It is by no means easy but certainly not impossible.
    Good luck!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 60 of my first p90x round. I too was also intimidated before I started. The best part about this workout is that Tony encourages you to just TRY. Don't let negative thoughts enter your head and make you think you can't do something. Try it and you might be surprised. Case in point, there is one pushup in the Core Synergistics workout called Reach High & Under Pushup. It is basically a regular pushup and then you put your legs together and kind of roll to one side using one arm and put your other hand straight up in the air and then reach it down under your belly (hard to explain but if you do this workout you'll see it). I saw TOny do it the first time and thought, "OMG no WAY I can do that!" Lo and behold the first time I did it I actually did 3!

Just keep an open mind and you will succeed! :smile:
  • nd4sxs
    nd4sxs Posts: 5
    Options
    I am on week 11 of P90X. I was just as terrified when I bought the DVD's. When I started, I would laugh at myself while working out, I couldn't come anywhere near what they were doing. I started to feel disappointed when I couldn't see results right away and every muscle in my body was screaming at me. But around week 6 I could actually see the changes my body were making, by week 9 I was doing all 349 ab exercises (this body has given birth to 3 children), and now I feel the strongest and most energized than I ever have in my entire life (both inside and out).

The key is to simply hit play. It will be hard, you will push yourself to your limits, but when it is time for the cool down, you feel complete empowerment. I do admit that I am starting to feel the need for a little more variety, so I will be reaching out to ADD more exercises, but even after I complete this round, I will continue with P90X.

Best of luck!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is realize that you can do this. Make sure you set up a time each day that you know you absolutely can exercise. If you go to the gym, then that part shouldn't be difficult. Also, you need the right equipment. You need your bands and weights. Sports Authority has the bands, if you don't have any yet. Next, be aware that the first day will have you doing a million pushs, first day you can do these on your knees if you have to. Next, go out and get some Aleve gel caps because YOU WILL BE SORE.
  • edorice
    Options
    Also, if you're able to it would be best to start on a Monday. So that by the time you have your rest day/stretch day it will be on a Sunday.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    DD, you can so do this!!
    You can modify any time you want to...but I know you will be surprised at how quickly your body will work for you and do exactly as asked! Go Gorl...BRING IT!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I really appreciate it!

edorice...thanks for the advice about Monday being a good start day. The 28th is my birthday so I guess I will officially begin on the 5th but take the rest of the time to become really familiar with the videos and moves so that I am set to begin.

D
  • ccaruso219
    ccaruso219 Posts: 92
    Options
    Next, go out and get some Aleve gel caps because YOU WILL BE SORE.
    [/quote]

I couldn't sit the next day after doing core.....Did cardio today and I feel good....Tomorrow will be a different story.....Are you using the recovery drink????
  • edorice
    Options
    Happy belated birthday.

ccaruso219 - we have the recovery drink and it taste so good. It's like an orange smoothie. I don't drink it every day, but I did this morning.