Novice triathlete.

Options
2»

Replies

• J3ffthatcher
    J3ffthatcher Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Were your sprints open water or pool swims? Got a wettie yet? :)

They've all been open water swims. I just got my wetsuit last week and have been trying it out despite the cold weather here in North Carolina. I think that the ability to make expressions with my face is just returned after yesterday's swim. Lol
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Triathlons... Why try to be good at one thing when you can be average at all 3?

Do you realise how condescending you sound, are you deliberately trying to upset people.
    My whole family do triathlons, including my two teenagers. At least they are not sitting on their backsides, they are fit and healthy.
    I personally am scared of water, but I swim, I only have a mountain bike but I cycle and I have hypermobility issues in my hip but I run. I may always be in the last few to finish, but unless you have done one you have know idea of the sense of achievement. No I'm not out for sympathy either.

So as they say up north "if you've got nowt good to say, say nowt"

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Figured I'd reach out and see if anyone else is in a similar spot to me, 39 yo male who is getting back into shape by training for tri's. I've got a couple of sprints under my belt and plan to step up to olympics mid season. Always up to share info on what works and seem to always have questions on equipment etc....would also be willing to answer basic questions for anyone thinking about trying one based on my experiences. Let me say upfront I'm no expert but I'm the weekend warrior type. Thanks and cheers!

There's a triathlon discussion group on MFP that you might want to check out as well.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Triathlons... Why try to be good at one thing when you can be average at all 3?

i have a shirt that says almost exactly this.

if you are reading any condescending attitude, it's probably because you relate to it.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Nice post OP keep up the training and maybe check out stepping up to the Ironman Distance ;) That's where the real fun begins IMO!!! You get to travel, race with the pros, collect some blind and carb up pre race ;)

And when you look back ... you'll know it's worth ever drop of sweat and earn bragging right for a lifetime ;)
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Bling***
  • J3ffthatcher
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Nice post OP keep up the training and maybe check out stepping up to the Ironman Distance ;) That's where the real fun begins IMO!!! You get to travel, race with the pros, collect some blind and carb up pre race ;)

And when you look back ... you'll know it's worth ever drop of sweat and earn bragging right for a lifetime ;)

Well said....I def want to keep challenged so maybe it's a natural progression.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Not up for tris yet, but I had to click the title to see what you guys are up to. Seriously impressed, even if you think the distances are short. I really don't enjoy cycling, and am a pretty new swimmer, so open water scares the heck out of me. Running would be my favorite part.

I still click and read, because I want to get to the point of actually signing up and training for one. (Once I get over the cycling thing... oh, and become a more confident swimmer too.)
  • alanjreed
    alanjreed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I raced when I lived in Colorado. Very competitive. I qualified for Hyvee National Championships and obviously did lots of racing around Boulder and Denver area. Don't feel pressured to jump to Ironman distance.

I would first suggest you decide if you want to do races for fun or if you want to race for the podium. Totally different mindset when it comes to training, lifestyle, and diet. Not that racing for the podium isn't fun but it is much different than the person that races Ironman for fun and to say they did it.
  • J3ffthatcher
    Options
    So the plan is to step up to Olympic distance mid-summer after getting a couple more sprints in. I may be overly ambitious because I'm looking at 5 races this season.
  • alanjreed
    alanjreed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So the plan is to step up to Olympic distance mid-summer after getting a couple more sprints in. I may be overly ambitious because I'm looking at 5 races this season.

I would suggest picking a race or two to really test yourself, proper taper and all that stuff. Use most of the others as training without a tape rand you will be surprised at how well you still do but you get the experience of racing.
  • J3ffthatcher
    Options
    Not up for tris yet, but I had to click the title to see what you guys are up to. Seriously impressed, even if you think the distances are short. I really don't enjoy cycling, and am a pretty new swimmer, so open water scares the heck out of me. Running would be my favorite part.

I still click and read, because I want to get to the point of actually signing up and training for one. (Once I get over the cycling thing... oh, and become a more confident swimmer too.)

If I can do it you can, just gotta take baby steps. Honestly, the progress and meeting the little goals is as much fun as the races themselves.