Osteoarthritis in my hip :( :( :(

boaorhat77
boaorhat77 Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone -

I've suffered hip pain on and off for over two years. At first they said it was sciatic pain, and then bursitis. WELL I just got the diagnosis this week that it is osteoarthritis.

I am so sad because before the pain started I worked out daily... Was lifting heavy (my squats got up to 270!) and I was running (or other vigorous cardio) daily.

When the hip pain started, my workouts started going downhill. I would go to the gym but would then be in so much pain afterward that I couldn't return for 2,3,or 4 days. I kept on pushing along though because I thought it was ok to continue, in combination with the additional stretching I was doing.

Now, 2 years later, I have put on 40 pounds. I know this was the worst possible thing I could have done! But it's been a depressing two years, and exercise was always my stress reliever before. Emotional eating came around BIG TIME. Also, I was just used to eating for a higher metabolism.

I always thought I would be returning to the workouts that I used to do. So now, this diagnosis of arthritis has been really sad. I won't be able to return to those routines. Hell, I can't even get on an elliptical without throbbing pain.

I am looking for friends who suffer from arthritis, and who have been successful in continuing regular workouts of any kind. Also, I would love to make friends familiar with the anti-inflammatory diet and how to put it into practice.