riding a bike at this size

whitney85
whitney85 Posts: 13 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!

I've been working on getting in shape since January. I had a great few months and then the last few months have been not so great. I come from a family where my dad and brother are both cyclists. They'll ride 30 or 40 miles and it's no big deal. I would really like to join them (not for their whole ride obviously :wink: ). I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for bike riding when I still have a LOT of weight to lose.

I really appreciate your help!

Replies

• ccaruso219
    ccaruso219 Posts: 92
    I have alot of weight to lose too and I try to ride everyday. I just started a couple of weeks ago and I have been riding for 20 -30 minutes a day, thats roughly 3 to 4 miles. I have bad knees otherwise I would do more, but I'm not pushing it just yet.
  • amyday1
    amyday1 Posts: 35
    Get a bike that is comfortable. and peddle away... : )
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Buy a good cushy seat!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Biking is actually one of the best ways for larger folks to exercise! I'd say a large part of my success is due to a stationary bike (which I've had to sell because it just doesn't cut it for me anymore. :frown:). I started biking on it when I was around 275 pounds and used it basically every day for about 7-8 months. I went on vacation last weekend and we biked *everywhere* we went, easily 20 miles a day, and it truly felt like nothing to me. My legs never even got tired or sore. Build yourself up slowly. Try to join them for a few miles on flat (or relatively flat) ground and see how you do. Then just work your way up to longer more hilly rides. It will take time to build your strength and endurance but if you keep up the effort and push yourself a little more with each ride, you'll definitely notice the improvement.
  • SunmayLo
    SunmayLo Posts: 16
    Make sure you get a seat to fit your tush that is cushy! :P
    I always forget how hard the bike seat is on my butt and the first time I take it out for the season I go for two or so hours and cant ride for days. x_x
    Go little by little and work up to a good hour or two out there. After every ride you feel so amazing. :D
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Hi everyone!

I've been working on getting in shape since January. I had a great few months and then the last few months have been not so great. I come from a family where my dad and brother are both cyclists. They'll ride 30 or 40 miles and it's no big deal. I would really like to join them (not for their whole ride obviously :wink: ). I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for bike riding when I still have a LOT of weight to lose.

I really appreciate your help!

I say go for it!! I have lots to lose still too and I love LOVE riding my bike..In fact I'm in the midst of buying two more lol I also recommend getting a good bike seat and if possible go to a bike shop and get your sit bones measured so you get the most comfortable one for your tush...sometimes those huge big cushy looking ones arent the best

Start off slow and then add more distance each week....When I first start I could do four miles approximately before tiring but this past weekend we did 15.5 miles!!! :) I biked this morning and again this afternoon when my husband gets home from work.

I LOVE biking:)

P.S. Feel free to friend me if you want:)

fiona
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Its a good form of exercise - low impact except for you tush - so go to a good bike shop and get fitted so you have the right top tube length and it's comfortable. If this is something you want to continue with as you get slimmer invest in a nice bike not a Target or Wal-Mart special because the ergonomics of a cheap bike will probably turn you off - if your family rides I"m sure they can steer you in the right direction!

have fun!!!
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    my cousin is was 280lbs and started to ride a bike, she said it was hard at first, but she has dropped 20lbs in like 1.5 mnths!
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    I tried spinning once....my hoo-ha was numb for days. My husband was seriously worried! :sad:

Then I found out about these special padded panties they make. Maybe look into those as well as the suggestions already mentioned!
This discussion has been closed.