Tuna without mayo

Options

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I recently tried tuna with fat free Greek yogurt, I put boiled egg, chopped onions, celery and mustard too w salt and pepper, it was surprisingly good.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I mix canned tuna in my mac and cheese -- definitely not lower in calories! I have also added it to pasta with arrabiata sauce.

My dad has eaten mac n cheese like this my whole life and I have always found it strange! haha
  • KPro78
    KPro78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They make olive oil mayo. I love this. A tsp of oo mayo and avocado with tuna.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use yellow mustard and relish. Nice and salty/tangy.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce makes anything palatable. I just keep dumping Franks Red Hot sauce on it, until my mouth is on fire.

BTW, Starkist makes some flavored tuna packets that are pretty good. I especially like the Thai.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    2%plain greek yogurt with cumin, coruander and garam masala
  • Lowell_H
    Lowell_H Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Unless you just hate mayo, use mayo. I just use less of it than I used to would have. Lite mayo is the devil, too. 1/2 serving of mayo is around 50 cals- I add that, mustard, and dill relish, and boiled eggs if I have them. DELISH.

valente347 wrote: »
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Unless you just hate mayo, use mayo. I just use less of it than I used to would have. Lite mayo is the devil, too. 1/2 serving of mayo is around 50 cals- I add that, mustard, and dill relish, and boiled eggs if I have them. DELISH.

This. The only substitute for mayo-based dishes is homemade mayo.

That's a couple of of the most interesting "tuna without mayo" recipes I've ever seen.

"Tuna WITH mayo". How helpful.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing or dijonnaise.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You could try cream cheese. I have done pinwheels before with cream cheese, herbs, canned salmon. I am sure it would work with tuna.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    Hot sauce makes anything palatable. I just keep dumping Franks Red Hot sauce on it, until my mouth is on fire.

BTW, Starkist makes some flavored tuna packets that are pretty good. I especially like the Thai.

Haha, I'm eating the Hot Buffalo Style right now. Straight out of the packet!
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use plain Greek yogurt. At first, I added a spoonful of mayo, which made a huge difference. After some time, I stopped adding any and really don't notice the difference anymore. Plus, as someone above said, it look better in my logs.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    oldsoul918 wrote: »
    I mix one can of very well-drained (this is key!) tuna with an egg, 1 tsp of sriracha seasoning and 1 tsp of dried dill weed. I let the flavors gel for about an hour (not sure if that's really a thing or if it's all in my head :) ) then I form 2 patties and cook them over medium heat. Sometimes I top them with a bit of greek yogurt and relish eat them on a sandwich thin and sometimes I just eat them plain. I only eat one per meal...the other warms up great for lunch the next day. They're just over 100 calories each (for the patty only) because I don't use oil or cooking spray in the pan at all.

Thanks for this idea. YUM I am trying this tomorrow. :-)
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown has pretty decent recipe for "Tuna Croquettes" which are basically tuna burgers. You can adjust the recipe to lower the sodium, and add whatever you want, but they're a delicious way to eat some tuna without mayo or tarter sauce.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I put the tuna on a bed of lettuce. I add two wedges of laughing cow cheese and chipotle sauce. I put it in my mouth, get some fuel, taste the macros and get on with my day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use mayo with tuna on a sandwich. If I don't want to do that then I put it in a salad.
    I like the Starkist flavored tuna pouches. They have all kinds of flavors. Maybe those could inspire you.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've tried with avocado. I've tried with hummus. A bit of lemon and olive oil? Yep. They're not bad but they're not exactly good, either. What are your favorite recipes for canned tuna without mayo?
    Well, I use Miracle Whip Lite 20 cals per tablespoon, and maybe a little pickle relish or apples

• ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well I use Miracle Whip Lite 20 cals per tablespoon and maybe a little pickle relish or apples
  • norwood5
    norwood5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love one of the flavor packets that is lemon pepper with a little mozzarella cheese melted on top in the microwave or toaster. Very yummy when warm with gooey cheese, and adds some extra protein!
  • joeysmom1976
    joeysmom1976 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avocado, cilantro, jalapeño , red onion and a dash of salt . It's so good and fresh tasting!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt with all the fixin's for tuna salad (chopped pickle, onion, celery and hard boiled egg). If I really want a "skinny" version, I'll feed the egg yolks to the dogs and just use the egg white.

Hubby's version is made with Veganaise (dairy & egg free) mayo since he's not a yogurt fan. I converted him from a lifetime of Miracle Whip. ;)

I'm a tuna snob. I love tuna, but I only eat solid white albacore packed in water (no salt, broth, or oil added). My grandma worked at Bumble Bee for 30 years, so I have insider information. :D