Allergist vs. Naturopath for food allergies - help me understand

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I was leery to go to the naturopath because of the lack of qualifications but I was desperate. Her results actually made a lot of sense in correlation to the issues I was experiencing so I sort of bought into it. And I keep in mind that Dr. Oz is also a doctor ;) I'm trying to remain objective, sort through the woo, and figure out what is truly going on.
    So I guess I should just go eat a peanut and see what happens :lol:

It sounds like it is working out for you. There are both degreed and non degreed quacks sometimes. Google can help. Youtube often will have convention speaker videos. Best of success.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    One can stick you with an eppi pen if you go into anaphylaxis shock the other can call 911- I'll let you decide.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Serious question, as I'm not sure of the answer. Would a naturopath - who's not actually a medical doctor - legally be able to receive your results from a real-life accredited lab? My instinct is to think, "no."

Sorry, your instinct is wrong.

Anyone can technically submit results to a real-life accredited lab (CLIA) and get the results back. The submitter can always receive the results unless state law declares otherwise (not aware of any state where that is the case). In some states, the patient who did not submit can receive the results, in some states laboratories who did not submit the test but who will use the results can receive them.

There's no requirement for the submitter to be a medical doctor unless a particular lab won't take the submission from non-medical personnel. Some won't, but others will.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    So my question is....what the heck is going on? How can one professional say I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff and another tell me I'm not allergic to any of it? I have been avoiding some foods because I am afraid to have the reaction again but maybe it's all in my head?

The naturopath is NOT a professional. They are a quack. Blood draws are not the proper way to test for food allergies.

Yes and no. Usually the blood test is a more in-depth test for certain allergens. Usually a patient gets a skin test first, and if they have severe reactions to some things, a doctor may order a blood test for that specific allergy that is causing the trouble so they can get a better idea of how to advise the patient. Blood tests are also more expensive so it's not something a doctor will order unless there is good reason to.

That's why I'm surprised that the naturopath went right to a blood test. If there was no skin prick test to guide them then just doing random blood tests doesn't make any sense. Just going by experience with my little one who has major allergies, as I am not an allergist myself.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A few things:

1) Skin prick tests (SPT) are only as good as the nurse/MA performing them (high incidence of false positives and false negatives) especially in regards to SPT for foods so I would be wary of those results (doesn't mean they're wrong just be aware).

2) Serum (blood) testing for food allergies is highly specific but very insensitive. False negatives are extremely rare so a negative test is almost always truly negative. False positives can occur so a positive food test should be taken with a grain of salt. In this situation, oral food challenge may be beneficial in a safe medical environment with appropriate supplies on hand in case of anaphylaxis (oxygen/Benadryl/steroids/Epi-pen). Helpful here to get a food diary/history

3) Cross-reactivities common with peanuts/tree nuts/lentils/soybeans so cautious approach to any serum test showing positive food allergy (don't automatically assume you are allergic to particular food).

4) Get an epi-pen if not done already and know how to use it.

5) Cashews/pistachios have some strong cross-reactivity and walnut/pecans have strong cross-reactivity. You might be allergic to one group of tree nuts and not the other.

6) Oral food challenge might be your best (find an ENT/Allergiest) who performs them in their office. Find out approximate cost and be prepared to be there all day if you're interested.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    So my question is....what the heck is going on? How can one professional say I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff and another tell me I'm not allergic to any of it? I have been avoiding some foods because I am afraid to have the reaction again but maybe it's all in my head?

The naturopath is NOT a professional. They are a quack. Blood draws are not the proper way to test for food allergies.

Yes and no. Usually the blood test is a more in-depth test for certain allergens. Usually you get a skin test first, and if you have severe reactions to some things, a doctor may order a blood test for that specific allergy that is causing the trouble so they can get a better idea of how to advise the patient. Blood tests are also more expensive so it's not something a doctor will order unless there is good reason to.

That's why I'm surprised that the naturopath went right to a blood test. If there was no skin prick test to guide them then just doing random blood tests doesn't make any sense. Just going by experience with my little one who has major allergies, as I am not an allergist myself.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Found this:

http://www.foodallergy.org/diagnosis-and-testing/blood-tests
    About 50-60 percent of all blood tests and skin prick tests will yield a “false positive” result. This means that the test shows positive even though you are not really allergic to the food being tested. These results occur for two reasons:
    • The test may be measuring your response to the undigested food proteins. It is possible that after digestion, the food protein that enters your bloodstream is no longer detected by your IgE.
    • The test may be detecting proteins that are similar among foods but do not trigger allergic reactions. For example, if you are allergic to peanuts, your tests may show a positive response to other members of the legume family, such as green beans, even if eating green beans has never been a problem for you.

I think with the info you have, you could try an elimination process and see how you feel? At least you wouldn't be taking shots in the dark.

Also, the labs that naturopaths use are legit and often times are the same labs used by healthcare providers. At least here in the U.S. I've ordered tests on my own through DirectLabs and had my blood drawn at Quest Diagnostics, which is a large medical testing lab and often the same place I end up when my MD orders testing. Lab testing is tightly regulated. The problem with naturopaths is you are paying out the *** for visit fees, supplements, and possibly even useless testing.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    rpachigo wrote: »
    A few things:

1) Skin prick tests (SPT) are only as good as the nurse/MA performing them (high incidence of false positives and false negatives) especially in regards to SPT for foods so I would be wary of those results (doesn't mean they're wrong just be aware).

2) Serum (blood) testing for food allergies is highly specific but very insensitive. False negatives are extremely rare so a negative test is almost always truly negative. False positives can occur so a positive food test should be taken with a grain of salt. In this situation, oral food challenge may be beneficial in a safe medical environment with appropriate supplies on hand in case of anaphylaxis (oxygen/Benadryl/steroids/Epi-pen). Helpful here to get a food diary/history

3) Cross-reactivities common with peanuts/tree nuts/lentils/soybeans so cautious approach to any serum test showing positive food allergy (don't automatically assume you are allergic to particular food).

4) Get an epi-pen if not done already and know how to use it.

5) Cashews/pistachios have some strong cross-reactivity and walnut/pecans have strong cross-reactivity. You might be allergic to one group of tree nuts and not the other.

6) Oral food challenge might be your best (find an ENT/Allergiest) who performs them in their office. Find out approximate cost and be prepared to be there all day if you're interested.

Excellent, thanks for this. I do have an Epi pen and hope I never have to use it. I will look into the oral food challenge.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One other point I want to clarify for both SPT and serum testing is that their positive predictive value is poor. All positives must be thoroughly examined/clarified.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    well everything they tested me for and told me I was allergic to I am.so cant be too far off.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that the naturopath can make sense without being correct.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    A naturopath isn't degree level educated.

I understand. But she took blood tests which were sent to a lab for analysis. I sort of assumed that a blood test would be more accurate than a skin-prick test.

Nope, skin test in is the gold standard for allergens.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd take my blood test results to an allergist. They may have some value.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that the naturopath can make sense without being correct.

^^ Exactly!

Naturopathic doctors go to (their version of) med school and are even licensed in some states with the same prescription privileges as an MD. (And some insurance will cover naturopath visits.) I think they're well meaning but not the best choice. A little like visiting a psychic to decide how to invest your money.

Stick with the allergist and do not do that cleanse!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    To me, the red flag you speak of would be the decider. What is the cleanse for? It's not like it's going to cure your allergies. I'm guessing it was something to get you to buy after telling you that you are allergic to a bunch of stuff. Which would make me question whether you are allergic to a bunch of stuff.

Maybe get a second opinion from another allergist?
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Speaking from my own person experiences with allergists... They're probably both wrong lol. I don't have "severe" allergies but I clearly develop an allergic reaction to something because my lips get swollen and itchy everytime I eat yogurt/cheese and other random foods. My allergist took $20 from me, did a patch test for milk and it came back negative, then told me to basically figure it out myself. My other doctor did a blood test and didn't find anything, insisted I was putting something on my lips to make them swell up. Last doctor went straight to telling me the only way he could "possibly" tell me what it was was if I have him $200 for a biopsy.

Needless to say I avoid all dairy and milk products, I still get a reaction sometimes in spite of that and all I got after years of doctors was a cortisone cream to put on when I Start to look like a botched Botox patient.

Sorry to sound hopeless but if your allergies aren't severe then you may have to do a food elimination test and just figure it out on your own. I'll give you the advice my allergist gave me "if yogurt makes your lips swell up then don't eat yogurt." .... O_o I would assume same goes for nuts in your case. Good luck!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was leery to go to the naturopath because of the lack of qualifications but I was desperate. Her results actually made a lot of sense in correlation to the issues I was experiencing so I sort of bought into it. And I keep in mind that Dr. Oz is also a doctor ;) I'm trying to remain objective, sort through the woo, and figure out what is truly going on.
    So I guess I should just go eat a peanut and see what happens :lol:

Maybe ask your allergist to do a blood rest and see what comes back.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I started having reactions to tree nuts. I went to my doctor who suggested I go to an allergist to be tested as apparently it is possible to develop allergies later in life. The allergist was quite backed up and it was going to be about 6 months for an appointment, so in the meantime I went to a naturopath to have blood tests done. She concluded that I have varying degrees of allergies to quite a few foods, and also have leaky gut syndrome. The way she explained it made a lot of sense. She suggested a specific type of cleanse (yes, I know, the dreaded cleanse), which sent up a red flag for me but I still purchased the supplements. They're still sitting on my counter because....cleanse.

Fast forward to my allergist appointment, who did the skin prick test and determined that in fact I am not allergic to any of the foods the naturopath says I am, including tree nuts.

Anyone out there a naturopath or allergist, or knowledgeable in this who could shed some light?

The naturopath is con artist. The allergist actually has a M.D. granted by an accredited medical school. Tick tock, tick tock, this isn't really that hard . . .
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A few months ago I started having reactions to tree nuts. I went to my doctor who suggested I go to an allergist to be tested as apparently it is possible to develop allergies later in life. The allergist was quite backed up and it was going to be about 6 months for an appointment, so in the meantime I went to a naturopath to have blood tests done. She concluded that I have varying degrees of allergies to quite a few foods, and also have leaky gut syndrome. The way she explained it made a lot of sense. She suggested a specific type of cleanse (yes, I know, the dreaded cleanse), which sent up a red flag for me but I still purchased the supplements. They're still sitting on my counter because....cleanse.

Fast forward to my allergist appointment, who did the skin prick test and determined that in fact I am not allergic to any of the foods the naturopath says I am, including tree nuts.

Anyone out there a naturopath or allergist, or knowledgeable in this who could shed some light?

The naturopath is con artist. The allergist actually has a M.D. granted by an accredited medical school. Tick tock, tick tock, this isn't really that hard . . .

Let me add, I've been down the path. Yes, skin pricks do offer false positives but that is why an allergist will often follow up with blood tests. Find an allergist you can see and get an appointment soon.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Well, I consider Naturopaths to be complete woo so I would never take their advice. "Qualified Naturopath" is an oxymoron in my opinion as there is no such thing. I def wouldn't call them "professional". I am sure the Naturopath just wanted to sell you a bunch of tree bark and stuff to "help" you.

^^^This.

The naturopath wanted to sell you those supplements. Of course she made sense - they know how to tailor their sales pitches to their customers' varying problems to come up with a very convincing woo-peddling speech. Kind of reminds me of how "psychics" convince their customers that they're communicating with their dead loved ones.