I eat 2,000+ cals daily and am losing weight!

Options
Ramberta
Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
Yes, it CAN be done!

If you don't believe me, feel free to add me.

I am simply trying to dispel the myth that you need to massively cut calories in order to reach your goal. I work out-- some of it is just my job-- but nothing too strenuous. I am 5'9", and have lost all my weight on MFP eating 2k calories (or more!) per day.

You should NEVER feel like you are starving yourself in your path to lose weight. Figuring out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) will help you figure out a healthy caloric deficit. A small deficit, NOT a large one, is what's going to work out best for you in the long run!

If you have any questions feel free to message me, or ask them here!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Success story!
    Post this in success stories!
    ;D
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting to me. I would love to know your typical macro-nutrient composition if you don't mind sharing :) I typically subscribe to the belief that a calorie isn't necessarily a calorie***, and that weight loss or gain isn't as simple as "calories in versus calories out" and that there are hundreds of other factors that attribute to calorie burning and storage... mainly hormone related.

***Edit: by this I mean that our body doesn't necessarily treat every calorie in the same way at any given time in our life. Usually when people make the comment that a calorie is a calorie, they are also intending to say that it doesn't matter what type of source the calorie came from.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Me too! My diary is open. People are welcome to peruse it.

I have a bodymedia and know how much I burn, so my 2000 calories/day is based on that. I like fat2fit radio's methodology. Eat like the thin person you want to be. I only have a couple lbs to lose so my deficit is small, but still! The TDEE for a 125lb, moderately active woman is about 2050 calories/day. I find that simply fascinating and so contrary to what I've believed for years. But it's working!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    This is really interesting to me. I would love to know your typical macro-nutrient composition if you don't mind sharing :) I typically subscribe to the belief that a calorie isn't necessarily a calorie***, and that weight loss or gain isn't as simple as "calories in versus calories out" and that there are hundreds of other factors that attribute to calorie burning and storage... mainly hormone related.

***Edit: by this I mean that our body doesn't necessarily treat every calorie in the same way at any given time in our life. Usually when people make the comment that a calorie is a calorie, they are also intending to say that it doesn't matter what type of source the calorie came from.

I definitely believe that not all calories are created equal, in the sense that what you're gaining from them nutritionally varies a ton! However, right now I am still pretty lax with my dietary restrictions. If I want something, and I have the calories for it, I will eat it.

My macronutrient goals are: 55% carbs, 20% protein, and 25% fat. I had the protein up higher but it just seemed a bit too much; my current protein goal is 105g and I still struggle to hit that! But as I start lifting weights again I am going to focus harder on eating lots of protein and less "empty" calories. :smile:
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Me too! My diary is open. People are welcome to peruse it.

I have a bodymedia and know how much I burn, so my 2000 calories/day is based on that. I like fat2fit radio's methodology. Eat like the thin person you want to be. I only have a couple lbs to lose so my deficit is small, but still! The TDEE for a 125lb, moderately active woman is about 2050 calories/day. I find that simply fascinating and so contrary to what I've believed for years. But it's working!

Good for you :D
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Glad you've had success with something that works for you! I'll bet you feel great.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I love it when women don't starve themselves to lose weight!! When I was doing more cardio I was 2000 too. (I am less active now so I am at about 1800)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I love you.
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Works for me! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are young, tall and have a lot to lose. I'm none of those. My TDEE is a little less than 2000.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You are young, tall and have a lot to lose. I'm none of those. My TDEE is a little less than 2000.

Age, height and how much fat one has to lose has little to do with it.
    Training your body to adapt has everything to do with it.
    Cardio and light weights may still see you in an elderly home due to the inability to remain ambulatory.
    If you train your body to lift heavy and to get strong, youll live longer and remain mobile!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    /Agree. I think I'd rather be tired than hungry.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I agree and disagree. I am pretty sedentary at work. I'm 5'0 tall, 32 and 146 pounds. Since i've been lifting heavy weights (about 6 months), I do find I can eat more and maintain. Probably around 1900 calories or so. I only do cardio about twice a week. If I want to lose about a pound a week 1500-1600 calories is about right for me. I could potentially lose weight and eat more if I upped my cardio but I'm not really interested in that.

I may at one time have had a higher LBM but I've yo yo'd for the past 5 years or so and I think that has played a part in my metabolism.

Oops this in in response to helloitsdan
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat less to drink more..
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I think there are plenty of people who can lose comfortably on 2,000+! I you have a high activity level and are a larger person then I don't see why not. It is all about your personal TDEE.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Cardio and light weights may still see you in an elderly home due to the inability to remain ambulatory.
    If you train your body to lift heavy and to get strong, youll live longer and remain mobile!

I beg to differ. Age and size has a lot to do with it.

Lifting heavy does not increase your TDEE significantly and it sure does not increase it enough to get it over 2,000 for many people.

I do not agree with big deficits either, but you just cannot say that these things have little to do with it. The OP is tall, is over 220lb from her ticker (no offense OP, and congratulations on your loss so far) and is 25 years old. That is a very very different situation than say a 130lb 50 year old woman.

I also am a big proponent of lifting weights, but context also needs to be applied.

You usually go under 2,000 yourself when cutting, as do I, as we are a lot lighter than the OP and older (me more) than her also. This does not mean we have big deficits, just that we have lower TDEEs.

Edited for typo
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I eat less to drink more..

Amen, sister! :drinker:
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Isn't it super fantastic?! I eat b/t 2000-2500 and I'm in maintenance mode. I do 2 hours of cardio per week MAX. Weight training is my focus - 4X/week, with a goal of dropping body fat : )
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I beg to differ. Age and size has a lot to do with it.

Lifting heavy does not increase your TDEE significantly and it sure does not increase it enough to get it over 2,000 for many people.

I do not agree with big deficits either, but you just cannot say that these things have little to do with it. The OP is tall, is over 220lb from her ticker (no offense OP, and congratulations on your loss so far) and is 25 years old. That is a very very different situation than say a 130lb 50 year old woman.

I also am a big proponent of lifting weights, but context also needs to be applied.

You usually go under 2,000 yourself when cutting, as do I, as we are a lot lighter than the OP and older (me more) than her also. This does not mean we have big deficits, just that we have lower TDEEs.

Edited for typo

I agree to a point.

My cut # is 2k but it's taken time for me to figure it out and adapt to it.

BTW Sara great progress!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Fantastic!!! :)