Plateauing at TDEE -35%

Options
So far I have lost 47 pounds. I have been eating at TDEE -35%, or around 1600 calories, for a few months now having upped from 1300 back in February/March. I have been working out (although I took a break for a couple weeks last month) pretty consistently doing cardio (4-5 times a week), yoga (1-2x a week), and TurboFire upper/lower/core workouts for strength training (4-5 times a week). However, I am still not losing. At first when I switched to TDEE-% I lost 10 pounds but I'm now back to a plateau.

Can anyone help? Been reading conflicting things about raising/lowering my calories. I am focusing more on macros and eating more protein and whole foods but I'm frustrated by no weight loss.

Female, 5'6"
SW: 215
CW: 168 31.8% body fat
GW 140 or 25% body fat

Editing to say: My measurements have also not shown any significant change throughout the last few months of eating TDEE-%. I am truly showing no progress.

Replies

• sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have the best success when I follow what MFP gives me as far as calories. I tried the tdee way and it doesn't work for me. I know it's *basically* the same but for me MFP has the magic number.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My first guess is that given your height and current weight, your deficit is too large. Have you recalculated your BMR and TDEE lately? If not I'd suggest doing that, as the numbers will change the further you go/the more active you become. Depending on how much you have left to lose 15-20% deficit could be more appropriate for the moment and decreasing little by little until you're at your goal. 35% would be appropriate for someone much heavier and I don't think that should be kept up long term.

From the sounds of it you are quite active and I don't think 1600 is enough to fuel you. It's like a car, if you don't put enough gas in it starts to slow down. Consider upping your calories again and I would think your body would be better prepared to meet the demands you're making on it. It's all about the TLC for your body :)
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I calculated my TDEE -20% with current weight and fitness level and I am going to try upping my calories to closer to 1900-2000 and see what happens.
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i am not very gud with these things but wat i have learned so far here is that TDEE-35% is a little bit too much ... try doing -20%
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that TDEE-35% is a BIG deficit. I'm 51yo, 5'4", 206lbs (started at 232), eat at TDEE-25% and I think I'm pushing the limits. I'm at 1880cals/day.

yeah, recalculate your TDEE using current weight, set at a 25% deficit and see what happens.

I have an open diary, check out my profile; If you like what you see, feel free to add me.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest... try TDEE - 20-25%.

I am about the same height and weight as you, and try to eat around 2000 calories a day. I workout 5 days a week, plus dog walks 6-7 days, but by the sounds of it you are more active than me.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have the best success when I follow what MFP gives me as far as calories. I tried the tdee way and it doesn't work for me. I know it's *basically* the same but for me MFP has the magic number.

same here. you just have to find what works for you. for some it's slowly increasing calories, for some it's creating a larger deficit when they plateau.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I calculated my TDEE -20% with current weight and fitness level and I am going to try upping my calories to closer to 1900-2000 and see what happens.

Not a problem! Even with calculations it's not an exact science because there are so many factors we can't account for. Upping your calories should definitely give you the energy/stamina to get where you need to go, but I'd suggest increasing your cals a little at a time (100-150 cals a week/every few days) until you hit the 20% deficit.

This is because a) eating a little more can make an easier change than "I need to eat all the food now!" and b) it gives your body some time to adjust to the idea that you -are- going to give it what it needs. Be patient, don't worry if you gain a pound or two at first, it can take your body 3-4 weeks to accept the new changes and rev back up again.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    >snip<