13»

Replies

• mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    mellyo77 wrote: »
    If you are eating 700 calories a day - you aren't eating what is considered a safe amount of calories. My point being on some days when calories are up - its because of a 200 calorie latte - just a simple point

700 calories isn't a safe amount. But it's pretty clear that OP has been accidentally underlogging some items (after all, she isn't losing weight) and not logging some items at all.

I'm still not sure what the significance of the latte is. What's the difference between having a latte and having some other 200 calorie item?

Well it is my opinion - I believe Im still allowed to have one - that when eating so little the quality of your calories matters. Again its my opinion I believe I am still entitled to that ? I forget on the forums when we post we don't just respond to the person asking the question we have to also have to pass it by everyone else's expertise lol

You are entitled to your opinions but not your own facts.

But you are entitled to your own facts ? I can find a study to support anything on the internet. I very rarely comment on forums for this reason - losing weight is hot topic...everyone has their opinions and everyone believes they are right or they are experts - perfect example here - I didn't state fact - in fact I said it was my opinion. I personally believe (my OPINION) that the quality of the food we eat is as important as how much we eat.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 700 calories a day - you aren't eating what is considered a safe amount of calories. My point being on some days when calories are up - its because of a 200 calorie latte - just a simple point

700 calories isn't a safe amount. But it's pretty clear that OP has been accidentally underlogging some items (after all, she isn't losing weight) and not logging some items at all.

I'm still not sure what the significance of the latte is. What's the difference between having a latte and having some other 200 calorie item?

Well it is my opinion - I believe Im still allowed to have one - that when eating so little the quality of your calories matters. Again its my opinion I believe I am still entitled to that ? I forget on the forums when we post we don't just respond to the person asking the question we have to also have to pass it by everyone else's expertise lol

Nobody said you were not allowed to have an opinion. However, on a forum when you express an opinion, others are also allowed to have a response to it.

So enjoy expressing your opinion. And don't begrudge me the right to express mine either.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But you are entitled to your own facts ? I can find a study to support anything on the internet. I very rarely comment on forums for this reason - losing weight is hot topic...everyone has their opinions and everyone believes they are right or they are experts - perfect example here - I didn't state fact - in fact I said it was my opinion. I personally believe (my OPINION) that the quality of the food we eat is as important as how much we eat.

Yet again nobody is disputing the quality of food. She is eating 700 calories a day and not losing. Her logging is suspect, get that fixed and then work on her macros.
  • mellyo77
    edited March 2016
    Options

Nobody said you were not allowed to have an opinion. However, on a forum when you express an opinion, others are also allowed to have a response to it.

So enjoy expressing your opinion. And don't begrudge me the right to express mine either.

LOL did you not start questioning what I had written ? ridiculous I don't begrudge your opinion - but that doesn't make you right - it doesn't make me right -
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Of course the quality of the food we eat is important.

But OP asked why she wasn't losing weight. I don't think 200 calories of latte is the reason why she isn't losing weight. But if you can explain your logic, I'm open to hearing it.
  • mellyo77
    Options
    To the original poster - I retract every statement made, there are clearly people on here whom have it all figured out they are giving very good sound advice. I wish you good luck ! And ladies whom have more knowledge than I clearly could ever hope for - I thank you for taking this opportunity to educate me lol.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Please be aware of the difference between a study and an article.

Additionally, your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the actual facts of weight loss. Quality of food does not matter at all for weight loss. That is fact. It matters for nutrition, but not weight loss. Weight loss is calories in, calories out. A person can gain weight eating an all-natural, plant-based diet; a person can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies, or McDonalds (both have been done). What matters for weight loss is eating fewer calories than are necessary to maintain a certain weight. Eating under maintenance will lead to losing weight, no matter what form those calories take.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

g279u8zjnhur.png

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
  • Charlotte122016
    Charlotte122016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To the original poster - I retract every statement made, there are clearly people on here whom have it all figured out they are giving very good sound advice. I wish you good luck ! And ladies whom have more knowledge than I clearly could ever hope for - I thank you for taking this opportunity to educate me lol.

Thanks, best of luck to you too xo
  • GoMe75
    GoMe75 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Seriously, if you're not try it - it makes a HUGE difference. Previously, I lost 50lbs & the magic didn't start for me until I began lifting....and lifting heavy. Cardio burns are significant but once you're done with your cardio, that's it. Lifting/strength training (which can include squats, lunges, etc) makes you gain muscle & burn fat throughout the day = the burn lasts longer. Good luck!
  • mellyo77
    Options

Additionally, your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the actual facts of weight loss. Quality of food does not matter at all for weight loss. That is fact. It matters for nutrition, but not weight loss. Weight loss is calories in, calories out. A person can gain weight eating an all-natural, plant-based diet; a person can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies, or McDonalds (both have been done). What matters for weight loss is eating fewer calories than are necessary to maintain a certain weight. Eating under maintenance will lead to losing weight, no matter what form those calories take.

Reading through the forums this topic has been debated time and time again - by trainers and nutritionists...."studies" (not articles) have been quoted - although I do not regularly interact on forums I do read them.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

Reading through the forums this topic has been debated time and time again - by trainers and nutritionists...."studies" (not articles) have been quoted - although I do not regularly interact on forums I do read them.

Can you post a study, then, that disproves the laws of thermodynamics? Because that's what CI/CO boils down to.
  • rylinaliv
    rylinaliv Posts: 7 Member
    Options

For what it's worth, your height and weight put you in a healthy/ideal weight range currently.
  • Charlotte122016
    Charlotte122016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    GoMe75 wrote: »
    Lift weights. Seriously, if you're not try it - it makes a HUGE difference. Previously, I lost 50lbs & the magic didn't start for me until I began lifting....and lifting heavy. Cardio burns are significant but once you're done with your cardio, that's it. Lifting/strength training (which can include squats, lunges, etc) makes you gain muscle & burn fat throughout the day = the burn lasts longer. Good luck!

I have heard this! I just feel so inexperienced with weights but am starting weight classes and body conditioning this week

• GoMe75
    GoMe75 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    GoMe75 wrote: »

I have heard this! I just feel so inexperienced with weights but am starting weight classes and body conditioning this week
    Ooooh GOOD GOOD GOOD! Lifting is just like anything else....the treadmill even. It's intimidating until you get in there and do it. After being shown techniques once or twice, you'll be a pro! I'm convinced this is the way to go.
  • mellyo77
    Options

Can you post a study, then, that disproves the laws of thermodynamics? Because that's what CI/CO boils down to.

Sorry I was in a meeting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

This is a study....
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Wow, the authors are doing some serious reaching in that article to prove their point that low carb diets are the way to go.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

Sorry I was in a meeting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

This is a study....

It is indeed! I posted this in the Nutrition Debate forum; please feel free to join in over there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10357285/calories-vs-2nd-law-of-thermodynamics#latest