Non-Diabetic (for now!) Hypoglycemia

Options
I've been having episodes of shakiness, headaches, nausea and extreme hunger (and subsequent carb binges) I've been checking my blood glucose and I seem to be low 3's fasted and I even dipped to 2.7 which was really grizzly. I am getting blood work done this week but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I don't have any large spikes in blood sugar even when I drink apple juice with 25g of sugar, it barely gets to 4.5 and then on it's way back to mid-3's at an hour. Any thoughts on what might be going on?
inb4 go to a doctor
inb4 diabetes

Replies

• skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had hypoglycemia when I was younger (middle school age)... I would completely black out almost every morning for awhile and would get very shaky during exercise. My doctor never had me check my blood sugar then, only eat more protein and carbs and eat more often. Definitely try to eat small snacks more frequently to stop this from happening, but do go see your doctor. I now have insulin resistance, which really sucks, but that's a different problem.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Could be an electrolyte imbalance especially if your trying to adapt to a very low carb diet or have been eating low carb for a substantial amount of time. Maybe deficient in Potassium, Magnesium Or Calium & Sodium. These minerals need to be balanced.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know if you are perhaps having any heart troubles also? Anything to do with your heart? Breathing in general also? Any abdomnal pains?
  • jlcnuke
    jlcnuke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hypoglycemia isn't that unusual in people who aren't diabetic. In fact, without insulin use most diabetics won't experience hypoglycemia. If you're not taking diabetic medication then hypoglycemia is unlikely to be a result of diabetes. There are many potential causes ranging from medication side effects to severe medical conditions. In summary... see a doctor ;)
  • TuesdayMarch01st2016
    TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have Glycogen Storage Disease Type 3. My condition stores sugar. that isn't being immediately used; when consumed (like normal) but then won't use what's been stored. Therefore to negate storing, I am supposed to eat low carb (within reason, not eliminate carbs or go below what's required, for brain function) but high protein. My condition is genetic & I was diagnosed at 6 months of age because by then, my body didn't have any leftover nutritional benefits; from my Mother & I then had to begin living solely off of my own consumption. My parents were both carriers but weren't affected & they had a 1 in 4 chance, of having a child; that'd be afflicted with it.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if you are perhaps having any heart troubles also? Anything to do with your heart? Breathing in general also? Any abdomnal pains?

I have no other medical issues but I was reading that hypoglycaemia is a precursor to diabetes due to insulin resistance. I've never had blood sugar issues but I'm worried I might become diabetic eventually if I don't fix this. Also I don't eat keto or anything like that, I've been following iifym for years and only recently have been considering a lower carb diet simply to avoid diabetes. I'm getting blood work on Friday but this is making me feel like crap all day every day. Hopefully they can get to the root cause
  • jlcnuke
    edited March 2016
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Jacob1020 wrote: »

I have no other medical issues but I was reading that hypoglycaemia is a precursor to diabetes due to insulin resistance. I've never had blood sugar issues but I'm worried I might become diabetic eventually if I don't fix this. Also I don't eat keto or anything like that, I've been following iifym for years and only recently have been considering a lower carb diet simply to avoid diabetes. I'm getting blood work on Friday but this is making me feel like crap all day every day. Hopefully they can get to the root cause

Insulin reduces blood sugar. Insulin resistance results in hyperglycemia, not hypoglycemia. To be diagnosed with diabetes you need high blood sugar (instant readings high in multiple instances or a high A1C reading for instance), not low blood sugar like you are experiencing.

Hypoglycemia without any diabetic medications is unlikely to be related to diabetes.

I've studied a lot about diabetes since I became diabetic and started needing insulin a decade ago.
  • jlcnuke
    Options
    FYI- You've probably misread and didn't get that "hypoglycemia SYMPTOMS" are often an indicator of diabetes, not hypoglycemia. An un-diagnosed diabetic will generally have blood sugar levels well above the normal levels and will see significant swings in their blood sugars. Those swings result in the symptoms of hypoglycemia with blood sugar levels well above those associated with actual hypoglycemia. That is why the symptoms can be an indicator of diabetes.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    jlcnuke wrote: »
    FYI- You've probably misread and didn't get that "hypoglycemia SYMPTOMS" are often an indicator of diabetes, not hypoglycemia. An un-diagnosed diabetic will generally have blood sugar levels well above the normal levels and will see significant swings in their blood sugars. Those swings result in the symptoms of hypoglycemia with blood sugar levels well above those associated with actual hypoglycemia. That is why the symptoms can be an indicator of diabetes.

You're right, I did misread that. I don't experience high blood sugars even after eating straight sugar but I crave carbs like a savage and I'm always starving. I had a really bad episode last night and ended up at the ER and my blood work confirmed that my blood sugar was low but nothing else really telling. I have an appointment on the 29th with and endocrinologist and hopefully they can find the underlying cause. They tested me for pregnancy and hepatitis, as well as my TSH and its none of the above so who knows. Guess I'll try not to let it get too low until I have answers from the endo