Not fitness or food related but...

Options
Is there anyone out there who has had mono and just felt completely devastated by it? I've been out of work for a month and unable/uninterested to do much of anything. And when I do run an errand or something- it drains me. I have a teenager, I'm a part time student and was a full time lead infant educator. Now I sit on the couch and cry because I feel alone in this and unable to do much more than exist. I guess I'm just looking for someone else who's been through it, no one I know has had it so they just don't understand when I say, "I can't, I'm tired".

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say? Are you on any medication? Are you SURE it's just mono?

I had it as a teenager, but stupidly ignored that I felt poorly and went ahead with my spring break plans to spend the day at a lake with friends. Well, my fever was so high I got dizzy driving home and rolled my car. Ended up in the hospital for 9 days on a feeding tube. I kept telling the doctors (as best I could) that my throat hurt, but they dismissed it due to the feeding tube. As soon as they removed the tube my throat closed and it wasn't until after that that they diagnosed the mono.

I was extremely tired after that for about 6 weeks, but I also had other major multiple injuries to heal from, so I don't know if it would've taken me that long to get over it or not.
  • firstnamerachel
    firstnamerachel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What does your doctor say? Are you on any medication? Are you SURE it's just mono?

I had it as a teenager, but stupidly ignored that I felt poorly and went ahead with my spring break plans to spend the day at a lake with friends. Well, my fever was so high I got dizzy driving home and rolled my car. Ended up in the hospital for 9 days on a feeding tube. I kept telling the doctors (as best I could) that my throat hurt, but they dismissed it due to the feeding tube. As soon as they removed the tube my throat closed and it wasn't until after that that they diagnosed the mono.

I was extremely tired after that for about 6 weeks, but I also had other major multiple injuries to heal from, so I don't know if it would've taken me that long to get over it or not.

I've had every test known to man (it seems like!) Including scans, bloodwork and an MRI- eveeyrhing looks good but positive for mono. My doctor says it could take months to feel better. No medication for mono- nothing other than rest and trying to stay hydrated. She thinks I've had it since Thanksgiving (thats when i had a KILLER sore throat) but my body finally just gave up trying to fight it off.
    Most days I feel "okay" as long as I don't have to do much of anything- but one day of living life like I used to puts me on the couch for days afterwards. It's beyond frustrating.

Sounds like you really went through it too- glad you came out of everything okay!
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Thank you, but unfortunately I don't have any helpful info for you. The exhaustion is frustrating and hopefully you will slowly but surely get better. Sometimes it just takes the body a while to recover. Have you tried any dietary changes to improve your energy level? It's probably a good thing you aren't on any medications. Those can have their own whole set of problems.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I recently had a flare up of mono(Epstein Barr virus) The bad thing is this virus stays in your body and can flare up at any time. never knew I had it,they said more than 50% of the population can have it(carry it) and not know it. I never had the sore throat or any symptoms except for extreme fatigue that hit me hard. so she did a test and yep! I had a flare. for me what has helped and some may balk at this, but I took an L lysine pill every day and ate foods higher in lysine and lower in arginine,I didnt eliminate arginie containing foods,just ate less of them. that helped with the inflammation and I felt better sooner than I thought I would.you can look up high lysine low arginine foods. if you have to have a high arginine food pair it with a higher lysine food.I thought "ehhh" sounds too good to be true. but I said what the heck,I felt bad enough and figured it couldnt hurt.so I tried it and felt better within 1 1/2 months,I could even get back to doing what I was before the flare up.Of course I eased back into my activities.have been feeling pretty good since then.My dr tested me for many things when I had this issue and the same thing,everything was fine except for the mono. It can also be contagious at any time and we can pass it on to others ,it can lay dormant in your body. I had never felt worse.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Ah, helpful info @CharlieBeansmomTracey! Thanks. I know very little about mono even though I had it (and apparently still carry it). It never even crossed my mind that I could ever have a flare up. I should ask my doctor about this whenever I need to go next time.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have 2 friends that got sick with mono & yes it can take several months before you'll feel like your old self again. I'm sorry I know what your going through is hard. So here's some suggestions to help with the copping process
    *you're gonna be spending a lot of time resting & our environment strongly effects our mood. So maybe get yourself some nice new bed sheets, comfy cute throws & pillows for the couch & some styling lounge clothes. Go for bright cheery colors that will trigger happy feelings.
    *Keep fresh cut flowers around the house, keep the curtains open to let the sunshine in & open all the windows on sunny days
    *talk to your dr about taking vitamin D & Omega supplements, and if you're really depressed maybe Sam-e or a low dose antidepressant. Also consider meeting with a natraupathic Dr
    *Invest in a diffuser. You can add essential oils to it to that smell great & are very therapeutic. Or light some candles around the house or burn incense
    *start a meditation practice (you can download guided meditations on line. Deepak Chopra is Oprhas favorite)
    *start a gratitude journal & write at least one thing every morning and or evening
    *create a mantra to help get you through hard times
    *Get a hobby! I know you say you have little interests in anything these days but idle hands are the devils plaything. Learn to knit or or become a puzzle person or try those adult coloring books that are so popular right now. Ever want to learn a new language or play an instrument? Now may be the time! Anything that takes minimal energy and keeps your mind & hands busy is good.
    *Try out acupuncture
    *Read some good books or download & listen to them
    *Sign up for Netflix & start that series you've always meant to watch and find out what all the hype was about. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men etc
    *Try to get outside every day
    *Keep eating healthy it will help you feel good about yourself
    *get in touch with old friends & be pen pals. It's exciting to have something other than bills & coupons in the mailbox
    *ask your family and friends for help, even your teenage daughter. Maybe someone else can cook today or pick up the dry cleaning. These people love you unconditionally and don't care if you sleep while they while they take out the trash & defrost the freezer :)
    *get a pet cat. They sleep like 20hrs a day are really low maintenance & make great snuggle buddies
    *consider experimenting with medical marijuana. You don't have to smoke it anymore & there are strains for almost every ailment these days. A lot of them are low in THC too so you're not really getting "high"
    Ok I'm officially out of ideas. Hope this helps a little. If you want to friend me I'm happy to listen anytime and share my thoughts & feelings with when you want them. And remember This too shall pass! Rest up and get well

• firstnamerachel
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey I will definitely look into the foods thing- I'm up for trying anything to help at this point! I had no idea a virus could do this to a person- I'll be so glad to get back to my old self!
  • firstnamerachel
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your ideas @coalz!! I actually started tearing up while reading them. I appreciate you taking the time to come up with such a great list! Fresh cut flowers and a diffuser are first on my list. :)
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Anytime darling! If I think of more I'll let you know! Glad your making the effort to take good care of yourself!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    I have 2 friends that got sick with mono & yes it can take several months before you'll feel like your old self again. I'm sorry I know what your going through is hard. So here's some suggestions to help with the copping process
    *you're gonna be spending a lot of time resting & our environment strongly effects our mood. So maybe get yourself some nice new bed sheets, comfy cute throws & pillows for the couch & some styling lounge clothes. Go for bright cheery colors that will trigger happy feelings.
    *Keep fresh cut flowers around the house, keep the curtains open to let the sunshine in & open all the windows on sunny days
    *talk to your dr about taking vitamin D & Omega supplements, and if you're really depressed maybe Sam-e or a low dose antidepressant. Also consider meeting with a natraupathic Dr
    *Invest in a diffuser. You can add essential oils to it to that smell great & are very therapeutic. Or light some candles around the house or burn incense
    *start a meditation practice (you can download guided meditations on line. Deepak Chopra is Oprhas favorite)
    *start a gratitude journal & write at least one thing every morning and or evening
    *create a mantra to help get you through hard times
    *Get a hobby! I know you say you have little interests in anything these days but idle hands are the devils plaything. Learn to knit or or become a puzzle person or try those adult coloring books that are so popular right now. Ever want to learn a new language or play an instrument? Now may be the time! Anything that takes minimal energy and keeps your mind & hands busy is good.
    *Try out acupuncture
    *Read some good books or download & listen to them
    *Sign up for Netflix & start that series you've always meant to watch and find out what all the hype was about. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men etc
    *Try to get outside every day
    *Keep eating healthy it will help you feel good about yourself
    *get in touch with old friends & be pen pals. It's exciting to have something other than bills & coupons in the mailbox
    *ask your family and friends for help, even your teenage daughter. Maybe someone else can cook today or pick up the dry cleaning. These people love you unconditionally and don't care if you sleep while they while they take out the trash & defrost the freezer :)
    *get a pet cat. They sleep like 20hrs a day are really low maintenance & make great snuggle buddies
    *consider experimenting with medical marijuana. You don't have to smoke it anymore & there are strains for almost every ailment these days. A lot of them are low in THC too so you're not really getting "high"
    Ok I'm officially out of ideas. Hope this helps a little. If you want to friend me I'm happy to listen anytime and share my thoughts & feelings with when you want them. And remember This too shall pass! Rest up and get well

I dont agree with taking supplements for depression such as sam E,she should see a dr if she has depression and be diagnosed firsthand. taking supplements for something you dont have can be detrimental to your health.(like taking meds for ADHD when you dont have it,) as for the marijuana some states medicinal is not legal(I know that doesnt stop people from smoking it) not to mention the virus itself makes you tired why would you want something that makes you even more tired? that to me would be pointless.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey I will definitely look into the foods thing- I'm up for trying anything to help at this point! I had no idea a virus could do this to a person- I'll be so glad to get back to my old self!

you are welcome oh and if the dr hasnt told you already. stay away from acetaminophen(tylenol) and alcohol. you can have an enlarged liver/spleen with mono, so you have to stay away from those things.
  • christinamthompson94
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey My spleen and liver are both enlarged. I am starting to have sores all up and down the inside of my throat. It looks alot like strep but it's not. My lymphnodes are swollen in my neck and collarbone areas. The sore throat is absolutely horrible!!! However, I am not showing positive for mono/ebv. I had it at 17 and had a major relapse at 21 and again at 28. Any ideas?

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey My spleen and liver are both enlarged. I am starting to have sores all up and down the inside of my throat. It looks alot like strep but it's not. My lymphnodes are swollen in my neck and collarbone areas. The sore throat is absolutely horrible!!! However, I am not showing positive for mono/ebv. I had it at 17 and had a major relapse at 21 and again at 28. Any ideas?

Erm have you tried another doctor .....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I agree see another doctor. there are several factors they look for when testing for EBV. this is what they should test for- https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ebv/tab/test/ which is what my dr did and showed I had it. I never knew I had EBV because Ive never been sick with mono before that time and if I had it was a very mild case.. I just woke up one day with no energy feeling run down. but I had no sore throat or any of the main symptoms which I found weird,but my dr said that when a person all of a sudden feels like that they should be tested to rule it out. But have them run other tests because Im sure there are other things out there that can mimic EBV.
    Heres another link to read http://patient.info/doctor/infectious-mononucleosis . now I do know if your liver and spleen are enlarged to stay away from alcohol and any pain relievers(I was told aspirin was ok), and do not lift anything heavy,and lots of rest and fluids. I did a diet for inflammation,its eating foods high in lysine and low in arginine.(it also works for people who have issues with cold sores and things like that too,you can find a list online). I ate like that for about 1-1.5 months,and I felt a lot better and my symptoms were improving within a week or so.Im not saying its for everyone but for me it worked. not saying that you should do this in place of going to the Dr,you should definitely see a dr to rule other things out. If its not strep/EBV its something else for sure.Id also have them test again for the EBV
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I had mono in high school!
    What an awful thing!!!! Seriously the worst. I slept ALL OF THE TIME. Literally soooo much.
    I'm really sorry you're going through this, I understand!
    Don't lose hope!
    I swear it took me a year to fully recover, but it did get better. People who've never had it, I don't think they really understand... But I was in another country and eating lots of bread and dairy...I don't think I knew I had it untill I got back to the US.
    Have you ever tried acupuncture..??
    That was the best thing that personally worked for me. I went to a western Doctor first but acupuncture was what really helped me.
    I remember after acupuncturist did the treatment, she told me to eat a lot of fresh veggies and drink a lot of organic Peach juice. I stopped eating so much dairy too and got better.
    You will get over it and get through it though... It might take a while but you will be back to your normal self.
    @firstnamerachel
    Didn't realize this post was from March, hope you're doing better,
  • firstnamerachel
    Options
    Thank you @NaturalNancy!! The past few weeks I have finally started to feel a bit like my old self. The summer was awful. But im slowly coming around! I have done acupuncture in the past but didn't think about it in this case. I agree with you, if mono hasn't stopped you in your tracks, you just don't understand how awful you feel and how you can feel okay one day and absolutely dead on your feet the next.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Thank you @NaturalNancy!! The past few weeks I have finally started to feel a bit like my old self. The summer was awful. But im slowly coming around! I have done acupuncture in the past but didn't think about it in this case. I agree with you, if mono hasn't stopped you in your tracks, you just don't understand how awful you feel and how you can feel okay one day and absolutely dead on your feet the next.

glad you are starting to feel better,the bad thing is you can have flare ups from time to time,it stays in your body.