Why am I bulking up?

Options
So the plan was to get fit, toned legs with a firm butt. I was advised to do squats and lunges and to incorporate weights (5kg Dumbbells in each hand) I've been doing this 3 times a week and I've noticed that I've started becoming bulky in the thighs and my jeans have become tighter around my thighs. That was NOT the plan, I just wanted to get toned legs, not become a body builder. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? I do eat healthy, 1500 calories a day or less (1000 calories) Why am I bulking up?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You aren't. You might be holding some water but there is 0 chance you are adding muscle. Give it a week or so and the water weight should dissipate.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    itsLuciaxo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

start by posting pics of bulky legs. preferably next to a before pic with similar lighting and clothing. even better if you also post your before and after thigh circumference measurements.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you measured the circumference of your thighs? How long have you been doing this exercise?

Also, what is your definition of "toned legs"?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    What's your secret?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You aren't. You might be holding some water but there is 0 chance you are adding muscle. Give it a week or so and the water weight should dissipate.

This
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Trying a new regimen can TEMPORARILY cause water retention in the muscles which does increase their circumference. In a calorie deficit, hardly anyone (even bodybuilders on gear and PED'S) can "bulk" up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png