Anyone marathon training and trying to lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my weight in MFP on Oct 7, 2014, at 185 lbs. On January 18, 2015, at 162 lbs, I ran a marathon in 3:39, which was only 4 minutes off of my PR.

So yeah, you can lose weight and train for a marathon at the same time. I'm sure there's some perfect answer as far as what level of being lighter on race day outweighs the reduction in how hard you can effectively train because you're at a deficit, but I don't know what it is. :p
  • peacerunner
    peacerunner Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow. Good to hear. You lost fairly quickly while still training. Fast marathon!!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great book called Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.

It can and will answer most of your questions and guide you to your ideal racing weight.

It's pretty normal to think about food a lot of the time. Nothing at all is wrong with that. Just make sure you are eating at a deficit (CICO) to lose the weight.

I had a beautiful tuna steak last night, veggies stir fried in the wok, some wine, bread - all which I thought about in the afternoon at work.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I seem to be hungry all of the time. Honestly I am never sure if it is real hunger or just in my mind.

What are you hungry for? If you picture yourself eating a salad, does that feel like it would satisfy you? If so, you're probably hungry, if not, it's probably in the mind.

Also, are you drinking enough at work? I have a similar job and I find I don't drink enough, drinking more water fills me up and satisfies the hunger.
  • peacerunner
    peacerunner Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am never hungry for a salad