Deviled Eggs

Options
SMarie10
SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
I'm making my standard deviled eggs for the fourth. Yellow mustard, Mayo and smoked paprika. Does anyone else have any tried and true filling add-ins they suggest?

Replies

• aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I add relish to mine, but the may, mustard, and paprika are the same.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'd probably use Ranch dressing instead of mayo. We use Ranch for tuna salad and it's way tastier (in my opinion) than the plain mayo version.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Bacon! or sometimes horseradish or tabasco sauce to make them a bit spicy
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just add dill relish, but I've seen some with avocado, bacon, olives, etc...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    omg new plan, avocado, smoked paprika, bacon, and maybe some olives. Thanks!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing and a little less of the mustard
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm making my standard deviled eggs for the fourth. Yellow mustard, Mayo and smoked paprika. Does anyone else have any tried and true filling add-ins they suggest?
    Dill and a little white vinegar.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Bacon! or sometimes horseradish or tabasco sauce to make them a bit spicy
    I thought about adding horseradish as I love the creamy version. I just may have to spice things up a bit.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I do spicy mustard, a bit of mayo, salt pepper, paprika..

I've swapped the mayo for avocado before tho and nixed the mustard.. but they aren't as good. ]

I've seen people but bacon and olives on them too.. (cool for halloween! The olive make the eggs look like eye balls.) They arent' bad that way either.

I was thinking of trying greek yogurt instead of mayo on of these times..but my deviled eggs are sooooo yum i don't really wanna mess with them!!

relish is YUK in the eggs.. imo. :~)
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with perfection!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with perfection!

QFT
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just do them the regular way like you with those things and salt and pepper. I don't even put the paprika. Sometimes I'll put a little cayenne on top instead but usually no, just plain like that.
  • KrakenReleased
    KrakenReleased Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bacon and jalapeno.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Last night I made them with chopped olives, balsamic, cayenne pepper, flat-leaf parsley and dijon mustard. The recipe said capers as well but I didn't have any!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine with mayo, mustard, and a tsp of apple cider vinegar. Then for spices I use curry, garlic salt, celery salt and salt and pepper, all to taste. They are always a hit and now I want to make some deviled eggs tomorrow as well!
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I grate onion into mine.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I omit the egg yolks and fill the whites with a creamy smooth guacamole instead...avocado, tomato, cilantro, onion and just a bit of lime juice. I run it through my Ninja til its absolutely smooth, then pipe it into the whites.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do white wine vinegar instead of mustard, and also throw in some cilantro and/or tarragon. And black pepper.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I like using mustard powder instead of regular mustard, that's my only contribution :)
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I asked about the same thing in April, and a wonderful answer for recipes came from Deedster_a, these are from him/her.

Here are a bunch of recipes. Just substitute plain or Greek yogurt or sour cream in the ones that have mayonnaise in them.

Jalapeno Pickled Eggs
    Makes 6 eggs

3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp white granulated sugar
    6 cloves
    2 jalapeno peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed and discarded
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
    1/4 onion, sliced
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    6 small or medium hard cooked eggs**, peeled

Tarragon Pickled Eggs
    Makes 6 eggs

3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup water
    1/4 onion, sliced
    2 sprigs fresh tarragon
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp white granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon herbs de provence
    6 small or medium hard cooked eggs**, peeled

**Boil or steam the small or medium eggs until hard cooked. To steam the eggs, place in a steamer rack over boiling water, cover and steam for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water. To boil the eggs, cover with 2 inches of cold water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 12 minutes, then rinse with cold water. Hard boiling works best with eggs at least a week old, otherwise they may be difficult to peel. Steaming works great with fresh eggs.

Method
    1. Peel the eggs and place in the bottom of a clean glass jar, quart sized.
    2. In a medium saucepan, add the vinegar, water (or beet juice if using), the onion (and jalapeno if using), sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, until the sugar has dissolved and the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
    3. Pour the vinegar onion mixture over the eggs in the jar, covering the eggs completely. If you are making the beet pickled eggs, place some or all of the cooked beets in with the eggs in the jar (this will help to bring color to the eggs, and you will have pickled beets as well.) Secure close the jar's cover. Refrigerate up to a month.
    The pickled eggs will be ready to eat after a few days. The longer the eggs sit in the pickling juice, the more the pickling juice will penetrate the eggs.

Lemon Caper Deviled Eggs
    Makes 12 eggs

6 large eggs
    2-1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
    Zest of 1 lemon
    Juice of half a lemon
    1/2 tsp minced capers
    2 tsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/8 tsp kosher salt

Add the ingredients to the yolks and mash together with a rubber spatula until smooth. Taste, and add more salt if needed. Fill egg halves with mixture.

Pimento Cheese Deviled Eggs
    Makes 12 eggs

6 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    1 tablespoon grated white onion
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons jarred pimientos, diced
    1/2 teaspoon jarred pimiento brine
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    Salt
    Paprika

Scoop the yolks out from the eggs into a bowl and mash until smooth. Stir in the mustard, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion, cheddar cheese, pimientos, pimiento brine, and cayenne. Adjust seasonings and add salt to taste.

Scoop or pipe mixture into halved eggs and sprinkle with paprika and/or cayenne, if you like.

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Eggs
    12 pieces

½ of 5 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, cooked, cooked, drained and squeezed dry, finely chopped
    6 hardboiled eggs, peeled and cut in half
    ¼ cup parmesan cheese
    1/8 cup milk
    1/8 cup mayonnaise
    pepper, to taste

Remove yolks from eggs and mash. Combine with finely chopped spinach, cheese and pepper. Stir in milk and mayo, mix well.

Spoon well rounded tbsp of mixture into each egg half. Cover and chill until serving (up to 24 hours).

Buffalo Style Stuffed Eggs
    Makes 12 halves

6 eggs
    ¼ cup blue cheese, crumbled
    2 TBSP mayonnaise
    1 ½ tsp parsley, minced
    ¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
    ¼ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    ¼ tsp celery salt

Hard cook eggs. Cool, shell, then cut in half.

Mash yolks and mix well with all other ingredients.

Spoon yolk mixture back into egg halves.

Chicks-on-the-Ranch Deviled Eggs
    Makes 6 eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs
    1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup prepared ranch salad dressing
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    Dash pepper
    5 carrot chips
    12 capers
    Fresh dill sprigs

Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each egg so it sits flat. Cut the top third from each egg. Carefully remove yolks and place in a small bowl; mash with a fork. Add the cheese, salad dressing, mustard and pepper; stir until well blended. Spoon into the egg white bottoms; replace tops.

Cut 12 feet and 12 small triangles for beaks from carrot chips.

Gently press the capers into the filling for eyes; add beaks. Insert a dill sprig in top of eggs for tuft of feathers. Place feet in front of chicks. Chill until serving.

Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed egg equals 145 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 216 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium

Loaded Deviled Eggs
    Makes 12 halves

6 large eggs, hard-boiled, cooled & halved
    3 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
    1 tsp fresh chives
    1 tsp white vinegar
    1 TBSP finely shredded mild cheddar cheese
    1/8 cup sour cream or 1/8 cup buttermilk
    Paprika to taste

Transfer egg yolks from halves to mixing bowl & combine with remaining ingredients.

Add sour cream or buttermilk last & use more as needed to reach desired smoothness.

Spoon yolk mixture into halves. Dust with paprika.

Avocado Stuffed Eggs
    12 halves

6 eggs
    1 medium ripe avocado
    1 TBSP onion, minced
    ½ TBSP lemon juice
    1/8 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp paprika
    3 black olives, diced

Boil, peel, halve eggs. Remove yolks. Mash avocado and yolks together.

Fold in minced onion, lemon juice and salt.

Spoon into egg whites. Garnish with paprika and diced olives.

Chipolte Deviled Eggs
    Makes 12 halves

6 eggs, hardboiled
    ¼ cup mayonnaise, plus
    1 TBSP mayonnaise
    1 tsp canned chipotle chiles, finely chopped (can add up to 3 tsp)
    12 cilantro leaves, fresh, garnish

Finely grate yolks on small holes of box grater into medium bowl.

Mix in mayonnaise, then 2 tsp chipotle chiles.

Add more chopped chiles, if desired, for more heat.

Season filling to taste with salt, if desired.

Using pastry bag fitted with ½ inch diameter star tip, pipe filling into egg whites.

Cover and chill eggs at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

Press 1 cilantro leaf into filling in each egg and serve.

Chipotle Lime Deviled Eggs
    Makes 12

6 eggs (preferably about a week old)
    2 T mayo
    2 T fat-free plain yogurt
    2 T fresh lime juice
    1 T yellow mustard (not Dijon)
    1/4 tsp. ground Chipotle chile peppers (Could substitute hot paprika for a slightly different taste.)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 green onions, green part only, finely chopped

First, make perfect hard-boiled eggs. Let eggs cool, then peel and cut in half crosswise. While eggs are cooling, slice green onions, and finely chop with chef's knife. When eggs are quite cool, carefully remove yolks and put into small bowl. Mash yolks well with a fork.

Mix together lime juice and Chipotle chile powder. (If you don't do this, you'll have large flecks of chile powder in the deviled yolk mixture. The chile powder won't dissolve completely, but adding it to the lime juice does make it blend in better.) Add lime-Chipotle mixture to mashed yolks, then stir in mayo, mustard, plain yogurt, salt, and half the chopped green onions. Taste for seasoning to see if you want more mustard, Chipotle chile powder, or salt. Stir until mixture is well combined.

Arrange eggs white halves on serving plate. Use a rubber scraper to scoop yolk mixture into a small plastic bag. Cut a small piece off one corner of the bag and squeeze from the top to force the yolk mixture out the hole, into the egg halves. (This can also be done with a spoon or a cake decorating tool.) When all egg white shells are filled with deviled yolk mixture, sprinkle with remaining chopped green onions. Serve immediately.

Lime Cilantro Deviled Eggs
    Makes 12

6 hard-cooked eggs, halved, separated
    2 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
    6 TBSP mayonnaise
    2 tsp minced shallots
    1 ½ tsp chopped cilantro
    ¼ tsp grated lime peel
    1/8 tsp salt
    Dash pepper

Place egg yolks in medium bowl; mash with pastry blender or fork until crumbled. Add cheese; mash until combined. Stir in mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in all remaining ingredients except egg whites.

Spoon or pipe mixture into whites.

Avocado Egg Salad
    2 servings

2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    2 tsps dijon mustard
    1/2 cup red onion, chopped
    4 large hard boiled eggs
    1 avocado

1. Boil and peel eggs. Mash in a bowl.
    2. Scoop out avocado and add to eggs. Add remaining ingredients.
    3. Mash, stir and mix all together.
    4. Note: serve on bread, with your favorite salad, in a wrap or with ham.