Banana and peanut butter shake??

Options
Keengetslean
Keengetslean Posts: 32 Member
Hi all, I am going to try a peanut butter and banana shake tommorow morning for breakfast. So far I have milk, 1 banana and almond milk - is there anything else anyone would recommend adding?

Replies

• Keengetslean
    Options
    Thanks Amy, yeah trying to shed the weight and get leaner. I'm really just experimenting with different Shake/smoothie ideas but Greek yogurt is a good idea, may have to try that!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your peanut butter, you didn't list it Lol. A teaspoon of honey or a few chocolate chips make it really good imo, but honestly it's just adding unnecessary calories. Freeze your banana if you aren't using ice.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a banana smoothie almost every morning! I use a cup of skim milk, half a frozen banana, and 15 grams each of peanut butter, flaxseed, and Chia seeds. Sometimes I add 5 grams of unsweetened cocoa powder if I want something chocolatey, or a packet of stevia if I want it sweeter than the banana will make it. Oh, and sometimes I skip the peanut butter to save calories. Cheers!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just want to add, I second the suggestion to measure carefully! I actually measure the milk and banana too--200 ml and 50 grams, respectively.
  • mjlmatt
    mjlmatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Freezing the (peeled) bananas, (you'd be suprised)...is Key.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and one ice cube!

I agree with mjlmatt, if you want it thicker, try freezing your bananas, really ripe brown bananas are good too, sounds good!
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    mjlmatt wrote: »

Right on! That's what I do, and for the peanut butter I use PBfit. It's all the flavor of peanut butter with a much lower fat content. You can add greek yogurt for more protein, and I always add rolled oats as a thickener, adds protein and fiber too. Oh ya, and maybe some wheat germ while you're at it. If you like carrots and cinnamon, give that a try for a different take on it.
  • Keengetslean
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks everyone!!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks Amy, yeah trying to shed the weight and get leaner. I'm really just experimenting with different Shake/smoothie ideas but Greek yogurt is a good idea, may have to try that!

If that's your aim a PB smoothie probably isn't the best way to go.

That's my go to smoothie on a bulk, 2 medium bananas, 20g of PB and 600ml of water equates to 305kcal and the fact you are using almond milk will only increase the calories further and of course up those macros.. Granted if you using it as a meal replacement its easy enough to fit your macros. When I'm not trying to gain, I go for 40g of mixed berries and 2 bananas which is just over 100kcal less. Agreed with the others if you want to get some protein in there without the PB, Greek yoghurt would be perfect.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited March 2016
    Options

• Keengetslean
    Options
    Thanks for that, I'm quite new to all this so as much info as possible is always a bonus! Lol I do wanna lose so I will stay away from PB in future :)
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options
    Thanks for that, I'm quite new to all this so as much info as possible is always a bonus! Lol I do wanna lose so I will stay away from PB in future :)

:o I didn't say that no-one should avoid PB. Its to delicious for that, just measure what you're eating its one of those food that's easy to underestimate. You'll be surprised at the weight of 1 tablespoon.
  • Brrrite
    Brrrite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a banana, some natural peanut butter, milk, a bunch of spinach, and some ice cubes. Yum.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    mjlmatt wrote: »

Right on! That's what I do, and for the peanut butter I use PBfit. It's all the flavor of peanut butter with a much lower fat content. You can add greek yogurt for more protein, and I always add rolled oats as a thickener, adds protein and fiber too. Oh ya, and maybe some wheat germ while you're at it. If you like carrots and cinnamon, give that a try for a different take on it.

Yes....this! :)

• becky51
    becky51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding 1-2 TB of peanut butter powder. I purchased the PB fit brand at Sam's Club. It contains 50 calories and 5 grams of protein per 2 TB.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with wanting a PB and banana smoothie. As with all things food related just be smart about it and work it into your daily calories. I use 1 banana, 1 cup light soy milk, 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1-2 scoops of protein powder. Obviously the protein powder adds quite a lot of calories but this is typically a meal replacement for me and helps me hit my protein targets for the day.
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, avocado, banana, peanut butter is good
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Natures bounty protein powder has only 210 calories per serving and it's packed with vitamins and stuff that's supposed to be good for u .. At least that's what they say lol
  • katbarnes23
    katbarnes23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    throw in a big handful of spinach - you'll never know it was there except for the nice green color