Will loosing bread...!

Options
I'm apart of a low carb group on Facebook and I'm wondering they told me to dump bread. Because the weight will fall so easily. I love and like bread and I buy a 45 calorie bread from Aldis I like. But is this true? I ate bread the last time I lost and I was just fine. I'm not making gold here it's been 4 weeks I've lost 5lbs post your thoughts

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I lose quicker not eating bread but I eat it as its a quick good option plus cheap I read bread ferments in your stomach it takes a while to digest not sure if that's true but could explain slow weightloss though most will say it's simple CICO Who knows weightloss for me is slow
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is the same for me if I eat bread or if I don't eat bread. As long as it fits in my calorie deficit I still lose.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, a low-carb group is going to tell you to cut carbs, that's sort of what they do.

As to "fall off easily" - that depends on the person. If you eat more protein, you will tend to be less hungry. Also, going low-carb will tend to decrease your glycogen stores, which means your body sheds some excess water weight as well. In terms of actual fat loss, if cutting out bread helps you comply with your diet and makes it easier to sustain your deficit, it will help, but it's the deficit that actually matters. You can eat what you like, as long as you have a good calorie deficit and as long as you're not setting yourself up for malnutrition.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I will say that I gained 20lbs once by just eating subway turkey sandwiches .. I wasn't tryin to lose back then as i was skinny back then but wasn't trying to gain either and I just liked subway and thought it was healthy choice .. I blame the bread.. But like the previous post said as long as u keep your deficit you should lose anyways .. But it's harder to lose with bread because you are adding that many more calories to your meal..
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 90lbs since August 2015 eating all kinds of bread
  • Gturner81
    Gturner81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @chulipa, white bread too?
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Yes white bread to i eat white bread every time we go out for breakfast and that happens alot
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also have lost about 95 lb and I've never given up eating bread. White bread, potato bread, rye bread, pizza, breadsticks, dinner rolls, etc., I have some kind of bread almost daily.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well, a low-carb group is going to tell you to cut carbs, that's sort of what they do.

As to "fall off easily" - that depends on the person. If you eat more protein, you will tend to be less hungry. Also, going low-carb will tend to decrease your glycogen stores, which means your body sheds some excess water weight as well. In terms of actual fat loss, if cutting out bread helps you comply with your diet and makes it easier to sustain your deficit, it will help, but it's the deficit that actually matters. You can eat what you like, as long as you have a good calorie deficit and as long as you're not setting yourself up for malnutrition.

All of this.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've lost 50+ lbs eating bread, potatoes, and pasta. I have to measure and track of course but I stay within my calorie limits and have been successful.

If you are eating bread and still losing that should tell you that it's your calorie intake that matters. Like rank said above, you may lose water weight because of glycogen stores but that's about it. Stick with what you're doing now if it keeps you honest with your overall calorie intake.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    when someone tells me i have to eliminate X in order to Y, i walk away.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Low carb is mostly a gimmick. It can have some benefits like making you less hungry during the day, but ultimately you'll lose generally the same amount of weight regardless of what you eat as long as you're regularly eating at a calorie deficit.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I was really excited about low carb with all the hype but after about 4 days of low carb and especially of not eating bread made me very sad. Bread is so delicious and I have discovered you do not need eliminate bread at all. I make it fit into my daily calorie allotment because bread is delicious.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I've lost 50+ lbs eating bread, potatoes, and pasta. I have to measure and track of course but I stay within my calorie limits and have been successful.

If you are eating bread and still losing that should tell you that it's your calorie intake that matters. Like rank said above, you may lose water weight because of glycogen stores but that's about it. Stick with what you're doing now if it keeps you honest with your overall calorie intake.

This is exactly me! I eat all that too, and have lost 51 lbs. You just measure and count everything. I buy whole wheat bread for only 40 calories a slice. It taste good, and I eat it everyday.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've drastically cut back on bread because it's easy for me to add lots of unneeded calories with it.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I eat 50% to 60% of my daily calories in the form of carbs, (bread (even white bread), pasta, etc included) and I've lost 74 pounds since July. Pretty certain if my weight 'fell off any easier' it would be too quickly. All I do is count calories and it's more than successful.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    Low carb is mostly a gimmick. It can have some benefits like making you less hungry during the day, but ultimately you'll lose generally the same amount of weight regardless of what you eat as long as you're regularly eating at a calorie deficit.

Except for those of us for whom it is a medical necessity.

Low carb=no bread...that's just how it works. If you must eat bread, you need to choose a standard diet, or perhaps work occasional bread into a moderate-carb diet.

• Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm down 75 and though I've cut way down on bread (I used to eat it at every meal.. 2 slices of toast at breakfast, two for a sandwich at lunch maybe a pita or bun at dinner) .. I try to have it once a day. Sometimes twice .. But now it's 1 piece of toast or a small pita instead of a large at dinner. I'll never cut out bread totally. I enjoy it way too much.
  • missjessau
    missjessau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I found removing it allows me to eat more protein and vegetables (and feel fuller for longer) bread just ends up making me hungry 30 mins later.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    missjessau wrote: »
    I found removing it allows me to eat more protein and vegetables (and feel fuller for longer) bread just ends up making me hungry 30 mins later.

Exactly. It's high in calories and does nothing to satisfy my appetite, and it's also a trigger food that's easy to binge on. I'm better off without it, but that's just me.