Eating Healthy.. Does it ever get easier

Options
Ive taken a few steps toward making my lifestyle change a little easier such as junking all the junk in my cupboards, buying fresh fruits and vegetables, drinking low fat soy milk, cutting back on red meats and finally.... kicking the pop :( . . . I've been eating healty for ... About a week now.. went shopping LAST Night and am proud of the food I bought.. I even researched what foods are acutally healthy vs foods that just say their healthy....

But am still VERY VERY tempted to just chug a big slam, get some rolos and scarf dill pickle chips... And one question... Is ever okay to eat that way? Another... With the fourth coming up.. What are some ideas or motivational tactics do you use in order to maintain your diet, healthy eating habits etc. . . .

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm GF for health reasons, so about half the crap is easy to say no to because I know what the "side-effects" will be. The rest, I'll eat in moderation, if offered because I know, if the bag isn't mine, I won't be inclined to binge (too much). I don't buy "junk" of my own any more because I "know" I will eat the "whole bag", irregardless of the number of servings in the bag. One of my favorite snacks is celery or broccoli florets dipped in spicy hummus. Alternatively, I'll pop some popcorn in the microwave (using a "popping bowl", so essentially air-popped - no added fat or salt)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It does. I barely remember the old days of pizza/chips/ice cream/nachos, etc day after day after day. I still have meals like that, but a lot less often. When I'm hungry, I actually think in terms of mostly natural and healthy options most of the time. (but then I go back for seconds, and there's my problem)
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    As time goes on, you will find ways to make healthy foods you are currently not too fond of taste a whole lot better. I think it's a power dieters develop. You will find ways to incorporate vegetables in ways you never thought possible or tasty. For example, people make chocolate mousse out of avocado. People make pizza crust from cauliflower. I was a HUGE pasta lover. Now I use shredded zucchini for pasta and I love it just as much, probably even more than pasta because it's healthier.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Everything with time gets easier; so yes. Do I eat not so healthy on occasion, probably. BUT the big difference for me is that my tummy can't take large quantities of heavy, oily/greasy foods. I still love chips; but don't buy them. Why? Because I flip them over and see the calorie count and realize what empty calories they would be for me. I do eat them just not on a daily basis.

And btw ... you might do a little research into the soy drink you are having. There are a lot of reports now how indicating how bad soy actually is for us. (Not looking to start a huge debate; just check into it and decide for yourself).

Onward and upward; well downward as the case would be in losing weight :)
  • Kristine7813
    Options
    Yes, I am at my last 5 pounds - was on here earlier and actually started changing the way I eat back in Jan (2013).
    The less often you eat sugars or carbs, the less you crave them. Your body starts to react negatively when you do "give in" - to feeling sick or just not liking the way certain things taste.
    Portion control/fasting meals or a day to get to that point, really helped me reach a balance as well.
    There is nothing wrong with just splurging randomly, but be careful not to get back in to that rut once you start.
    It can be hard to stay motivated to exercise, at least for me.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    After a while, your body will be a lot more trustworthy.