Next Step?, Bulk/Cut, Skinny Fat? After major weight loss.

Options
fishnc13
fishnc13 Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, here is my situation. February of 2015 I weight 292 lbs at 6'2. Around December of 2015 I reached 189 and as of March 2016 I am at 195. My pants size now is mostly a 32x34 or sometime a 34x34 from a 44x34. I lost my weight with a calorie deficit set at 2lbs/week according to MFP. I was also using strength training hardcore last year. I started with a split routine then switched to 5x5 around November 2015. I have put 60lbs on my bench since starting and about 100lbs on my squat. I was a total newb to lifting.

Using this calculator (http://www.webcalcsolutions.com/fitness-calculators/body-fat-navy.asp?acctnum=3) I am at 23% bodyfat and based on comparing pictures I believe it to be accurate. I'm holding most of my fat in my waist (stomach and love handles) and some threw my chest. After doing some math, to get to my goal body fat of 15%, I would need to loose 25.60 lbs of fat which would put me at 169 lbs.

That's too small for me. LoL. I already have people telling me I'm to skinny but it might be because there used to seeing me at almost 300lbs. So at this weight I'm seeking advice as to what to do now. I'm leaning towards a clean bulk but then I'd like to drop these love handles before summer.

So I guess this is a what would you do kind of thing. lol

Should I drop my BF before bulking? I would hate to add more fat but I need more muscle on my frame. I guess this is everyone's problem. lol

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's a matter of preference but if you're really 23% and you want a suggestion then I'd keep cutting. Starting out at 23% you are going to end closer to 30%. Going from fat-ish to really fat basically. I've done almost exactly those numbers before. Not fun.

Keep up the lifting too, you'll get some progress there even in a deficit since you're so new to lifting. Reassess at the end of the year.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    23% is NOT a time to bulk.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    fishnc13 wrote: »
    February of 2015 I weight 292 lbs at 6'2. Around December of 2015 I reached 189 and as of March 2016 I am at 195. My pants size now is mostly a 32x34 or sometime a 34x34 from a 44x34.

I'm holding most of my fat in my waist (stomach and love handles) and some threw my chest. After doing some math, to get to my goal body fat of 15%, I would need to loose 25.60 lbs of fat which would put me at 169 lbs.

That's too small for me.....I'm leaning towards a clean bulk but then I'd like to drop these love handles before summer.

Still got love handles? You need to keep cutting until they are gone.

169 is not too small for you.

I'm 6'4" and 168 pounds (that's after my 2nd bulk and cut in 2 years). Love handles and excess in chest are about gone. Maybe 4 more pounds for me to cut. Vascularity throughout. Lifting the highest amount I have in years in terms of squats, deads, bench. None of that excess fat is needed to lift. B)
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cut to 12% and then slow bulk (2-3 lbs per month). Do not bulk until you are below 15%.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I agree that you will probably want to still cut. I'd drop the rate at which you're cutting though from 2lbs/wk to 1 or .5lbs/wk. 2 was fine when you started, but the closer you get the slower you have to go which is frustrating, but necessary.

Also, I'd try a few more methods of body fat measurement. 190@6'-2" seems like you should be less than 23%. Just carrying around those 300lbs for a few years should have built a considerable amount of muscle and if you were doing strength training as you were losing, you shouldn't have lost all of it. In comparison, I'm 5'9" - 180lbs and around 17%. It might be correct, but I'd still check a couple others.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Just to put it another way, what is your goal? If your goal is to get as strong as possible as fast as possible, then the answer is probably to bulk first. If your goal is to look as fit/good as possible as fast as possible, then the answer is to cut first.

I'm 5'11" and 170lb at 11-13%BF and I'm still cutting (ever so slowly because I'm tired of eating low calories). I used to think anything under 175lb would be too skinny, and now I'm realizing that I may get as low as 164lb before I even think about putting on weight and now that I'm sub 175lb I'm realizing that I'm not too skinny and compared to photos of when I was 18 and 175lb I had a lot more fat on me than I realized at the time.