Naughty booze!

Options
Help! Okay, so my other half loves a beer or 5 in the evening and I used to, but since this diet I've tried my hardest to stop drinking ( decided to limit myself to weekend drinks if I REALLY have to ) and stay teetotal in the week, it's hard though! After a stressful day in the office, all I want is a nice cold beer but I know it's empty calories and not doing me any good in the long run - I try and shut myself away in the home gym/garage and workout to take my mind off it, but it's still really hard not to grab a beer and join him on the sofa - ANY TIPS?

Replies

• ktcat87
    ktcat87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why completely cut yourself off? Do your workout and then treat yourself to one beer if that's what you're craving. I go to my spin class and sometimes all I can think about is how much I'm going to enjoy my glass of wine, usually with a plate of zucchini noodles and glilled chicken in red sauce, because balance! ;)
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Drink a beer...or two. :)
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I miss beer. And wine. And cider. It's just not worth the calories to me right now. I don't have any suggestions, just commiserating.
  • herculean1982
    herculean1982 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same - beer/wine every night, and you're right it's just empty calories. The thing I find now that I don't drink during the week is that exercise is a lot less sluggish, I feel motivated to do it there isn't an underlying malaise. I think it's something to do with the fact that alcohol disturbs your deep sleep? From the boredom/taking your mind off it aspect, there's a little period of adjustment but having a fizzy 'something' if your partner is having a drink is still quite nice (yes it's not the same I know.)
    Don't shut yourself away from your other half just because they're drinking, surely eventually that will create some sort of resentment that they are having fun and you're shut away like a hermit!
    I drink on Friday/Saturday nights and it's a damned good thing to look forward to.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I completely went off any type of plan on the weekends and still dropped the weight, I think you are okay to reward yourself with a beer. Look at the labels though, the difference between a Coors light and a Blue Moon will shock you.
  • Spuffz
    Spuffz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot booze gives me wicked insomnia too. Evil evil insomnia. Trusty schloer it is me thinks!
  • jaxxeemom
    jaxxeemom Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Vodka has the lowest calories : )
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dont buy beer....
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Budweiser Select 55 is the lowest calorie option in my area and Beck's and other have 65 calorie options.

=)
  • Lenie58
    Lenie58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I figure it into my macros. I only drink at bowling or golf, once a week. Of course, I went way overboard this past weekend for St Patrick's Day. Not happy with the gain. Oh well, lesson learned.
  • NYRhockey00
    NYRhockey00 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I just went on a 2 month "no beer" stint....gave myself my bday/st pats weekend off, because my buddies and I play in a big hockey tourny (nothing better than beer and hockey) and my stomach is in shambles now because of the beer. I would say it gets easier when giving it up, but it doesnt, although now i dont think ill be going crazy on the suds when i do decided to partake.
  • Phyber0ptik
    Phyber0ptik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've basically quit during the week, and only drink on weekends, and I as well had a bit too much over the St.Pattys day/My brothers birthday weekend and put a pound or two back on...which will be gone again by next Saturdays official recorded weigh in, but none the less. I now have something to look forward to on the weekend, and can focus and be motivated all week to work hard.
  • Spuffz
    Spuffz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just got in - had 4 amstel - 800 calories. Bugger!
  • melaniecwebb
    melaniecwebb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tk6299 wrote: »
    I completely went off any type of plan on the weekends and still dropped the weight, I think you are okay to reward yourself with a beer. Look at the labels though, the difference between a Coors light and a Blue Moon will shock you.

• melaniecwebb
    melaniecwebb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I, too, just went off the rails on weekends but was strict during the week and have still lost weight.
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you enjoyed them though, right? :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I first starting losing in this time round about 8 months ago, I couldn't lose so cut out alcohol for about 3 months. I also found I was clearer headed in the am. Now I drink on special occasions and sometimes weekends but find I slip back into bad old habits if I don't watch out. Those would include 3 glasses of wine when I had decided to have just 1, as well as overeating when drinking. I am working hard on moderation.
  • dwatson925
    dwatson925 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. She drinks wine. I'm lucky since I only occasionally drink. With type 2 diabetes, got to start being more careful