Terminology

Options
Hello all. I'm a rookie and am having a hard time keeping up with some forums because of terminology.

--What's cutting?
--So many suppliments... that one with a "c"...idk, then there are so many brands.
--TDEE? (At least I think it's what I saw)

Those just examples

If anyone can supply me with a breakdown of typical weight gain/nutrient terms, I'd be grateful.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm a rookie and am having a hard time keeping up with some forums because of terminology.

--What's cutting?
    Reduction of fat to see definition.
    --So many suppliments... that one with a "c"...idk, then there are so many brands.
    Supplements are usually very overated and uneeded in most cases if your nutrition is fulfilled by your food.
    --TDEE? (At least I think it's what I saw)
    Acronym for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. The some of all the calories you burned in a day.
    Those just examples

If anyone can supply me with a breakdown of typical weight gain/nutrient terms, I'd be grateful.
    There's so much. Ask for the ones you want and I or someone else will give you info or definitions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Cutting: Eating fewer calories than you burn with the goal of losing weight, but more specifically losing fat.
    Bulking: Eating more calories than you burn with the goal of gaining weight, but more specifically gaining muscle.
    Maintenance: Eating the same number of calories you burn with the goal of maintaining your weight.
    Recomping: Eating at maintenance with the goal of remaining the same weight while slowly gaining muscle and slowly losing fat.
    Macronutrients: The 3 major groups in which most all calories can fall into - Carbohydrates, Protein, and fat (alcohol can also be considered a macronutrient, but it is not referenced as often as the other 3 when referring to macronutrients)
    Micronutrients: Basically the name referring to all vitamins and minerals, things that don't have caloric content, but are included in your diet.
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure, the total amount of calories you burn in a day, including calories burned by your body to keep you alive, calories burned from moving around, and calories burned from exercise.
    BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate, the number of calories your body burns just keeping you alive and keeping your organs functioning. It's basically the number of calories you'd burn everyday if you were in a coma and couldn't move at all. The majority of your TDEE comes from your BMR as it takes a large amount of calories for your organs and metabolic processes to function.
    CICO: An acronym people use to refer to the energy balance equation. It stands for Calories In/Calories Out. The energy balance equation basically states that in terms of weight loss/weight gain, etc, it doesn't matter what types of foods you eat or what macronutrient proportions you're consuming, calories are all that matter. If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning, you will always lose weight. If you are eating more calories than you are burning, you will always gain weight.

Those are all the ones I could think of off the top of my head.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    By C I'm assuming you're referring to creatine monohydrate. Chances are you won't need any supplements especially seeing as you're a beginner. The most you should spend money on is a multi vitamin and maybe a protein powder if you can't hit your daily protein goal.