Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Water debate

Options
sapphirewind
sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
I always drink water before or with meals. This helps me eat my food and also I hear that you fill up faster if you have some water beforehand. Not sure how true that is. However, being in Korea.... people here drink water AFTER their meals as it is believed to hinder digestion. I've only known one person here who drinks water at lunch when I do. Well which is true? Or which is better for you overall? I am at a loss.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I always drink water with my meals and have never had digestion problems. I have never heard that it could cause a problem.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/digestion/faq-20058348/
    According to that link, water aids in digestion during or after a meal as it helps to break down food and soften stools. So it doesn't seem like it would make a difference when you drank your water.
    I do think drinking water before or during a meal can help you eat more slowly and eat less.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's probably cultural and does not matter. I can't eat without having water or something else to drink.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Saltine crackers are ridiculously hard to eat without something to wash them down with. OP, I'm going with cultural for you.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's probably cultural and does not matter. I can't eat without having water or something else to drink.

Agreed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If water with a meal hindered digestion wouldn't that make soup rather unhealthy?

I always have water with lunch and have never had any digestive or GI problems.
  • mkastner95
    mkastner95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try, if you don't already, drinking water throughout the day. That can help curb your hunger and stop snacking too.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My preference is to drink water between meals, not with them. I don't care which is better for me.
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I drink water before, during and after all of my meals. I drink it all day long.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water with meals at all - I feel slightly ill if I do. Instead I drink in between meals
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I would only drink a little bit of water with meals when I lived in Korea, to wash my mouth, y'know. I tend to drink a lot between meals but not necessarily with meals. But again, this is dependent upon my intake throughout the rest of the day.

I estimate my intake at ~100 oz plus a couple cups of coffee.
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when I drink water as long as I meet my goal of at least a hundred ounces a day. Sometimes I will drink before I eat if it has been less than an hour before I last ate just to see if it's thirst air hunger.
  • lisashea55
    lisashea55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think one of the reasons some advocate for not drinking with a meal is because it is very easy to use the water to swallow food before it has been well chewed. I was under the impression that digestions begins in the mouth. Chewing food very well and having it mix with saliva reduces the amount of work that the stomach has to do because the enzymes begin the breakdown of the food. If you chew food well enough you technically should not get thirsty. I have tried chewing 20 to 30 times and I found that I didn't need to wash down my food with water. On the other hand when I am famished, I barely chew and often need to chase with water.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There's no single answer or best way when it comes to water with meals. It just comes down to personal preference and habit, and the prevailing cultural norms in some countries.

It's certainly NOT true that drinking water in reasonable amounts during a meal will affect digestion in any meaningful way.
  • Theresa_1973
    Theresa_1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with choking, so I need to drink with meals - it also helps me feel full quicker...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It depends. (It really doesn't matter.)

But if the idea is to improve digestion and reduce hunger then some water may help. Ideally, satiety is affected by how much volume we have in our stomach and how viscous the meal bolus is.

(see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680687/)

So the answer is both, neither and it depends on the meal. It water improving viscosity? Reducing it?
    (Seriously, is this a problem?)

tl;dr - it doesn't really matter.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I started paying attention to whether I drink or not during meals because I truly did not know! I find myself not drinking much during a meal but rather afterwards. I don't think it matters - personal preference.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I usually drink diet soda with meals, water and tea in between. OP, like the others I'm thinking it's a cultural thing?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I drink water all the time... independent of my eating schedule. Which means I tend to drink while eating and in the times between as well.

*Shrug* I like liquid.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If Im thirsty I drink. If Im not I dont.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

yup