Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Walking after meals

Options
sapphirewind
sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
Does walking after a meal really aid in digestion? I know the worst thing is to fall asleep after eating as it's bad for digestion and the opposite - walking or light exercise to be a positive habit.

Replies

• MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually do all my walking/exercising before I eat... That's what my trainer advised, I do know that if you eat a lot it is good to stand up or pace a bit afterwards. When you're sitting your digestive tract is not as expanded as it could be if you were standing, which is why it might help with digestion.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Does walking after a meal really aid in digestion? I know the worst thing is to fall asleep after eating as it's bad for digestion and the opposite - walking or light exercise to be a positive habit.

I think there is a study or two that shows activity post eating increases the TEF of food, but TEF isn't a huge calorie burn to begin with.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I once ruined a plateau by walking for 20 minutes after 30 minutes post 3 meals a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think digestion things are personal, but I personally enjoy walking after eating, and I think most who overeat would benefit (walking after Thanksgiving dinner being a good thing), although not overeating is the ideal.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Walking after meals has been shown to be beneficial in lowering blood sugar.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    ...the worst thing is to fall asleep after eating as it's bad for digestion...

OP, disregard this. This is one of the things that "everyone knows", but it's mostly false. (It may still be true for certain people, especially those with acid reflux issues.)
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Walking after meals has been shown to be beneficial in lowering blood sugar.

^^ Yes. One of my diabetic co workers sometimes NEEDS to walk after a meal, depending on her blood sugar. Doesn't seem to do much for digestion (I've once pigged out and went for a walk, still felt bloated). Personally, I enjoy walking after a meal because it helps me keep my mind off getting a second helping :blush:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Walking does indeed aid in digestion, though it's most helpful after the food has left the stomach and entered the lower gut.
This discussion has been closed.