Nutrition while working overnights and cravings question...

Options
What do you usually pack for lunch or to eat when you work overnight? I recently switched over to doing nights and try and pack my lunch but I find if what I bring is too heavy I find it hard to sleep the next day. Any suggestions?

I am also struggling right now with dealing with food cravings, especially sweets and to pasta. Although tonight at work, I attempted to have the spaghetti and couldn't of it. I struggle with diet and nutrition at times and was wondering if anyone else had advice for being able to tame them or at least deal with them better than I have.

Replies

• nessybean
    nessybean Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like to snack on hard-boiled eggs, peanuts, or Dannon lite & fit greet yogurt. I've also started keeping a big cup of water with me.
  • MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I work 6pm-245am... It was difficult for me at first, but I wound up having my dinner on my 15min break... would use my 45min lunch to take a 30min walk and then have some green tea and a light snack... Maybe an apple, grapes, strawberries... and then on my last 15min break I would have another cup of tea and a light snack like a snack bar or something. I always fill up my water bottle as well when it goes empty, but honestly green tea keeps me awake, full, and has lessened my cravings for bad food and I find makes me crave healthier things like the fruit.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Contrave is what finally stopped my craving bug. It is expensive but worth it.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You said you were having cravings for sweets and pastas, are you eating what you want at a caloric deficit or following a certain diet plan? If so, cravings are something that will pass after you've adapted much better to your new way of eating.
  • Alesia007
    Alesia007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hot tea with agave (although I can't stop the girl scout cookie cravings...) and No Yolk pasta are life savers! Also, you should check out Inspiralized.com if you're looking to try and replace pasta. It takes a while to get used to, but cutting carbs back and sticking to it is the way to go and Inspiralized offers a bunch of recipes with veggie alternatives for pasta.

And drink LOTS of water.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses....I really need to figure out what to do and the smaller meals or snacks definitely seems like the right way to go because when I have brought heavier meals, like I said, my sleep seems fitful and etc.

Jacob, it is mainly just low carb - I have carbs in small amounts - couscous and sweet potato are the main ones we have (my boyfriend and I are trying to lose weight together) and we portion it out with a protein and a vegetable side or salad but sometimes my cravings hit really hard, like tonight with the spaghetti and I had some...but couldn't finish it. I always have this internal battle of obviously wanting to eat healthy and hit the gym but then I get stressed out or a work shift is crazy and cravings hit. I am trying to work on my self control and finding substitutes or alternatives.

Alesia, I will definitely look up inspiralized....we just got a spiralizer for Christmas and I have used it once or twice for sweet potatoes but not much else, so that would definitely help.

Water is my other thing I definitely need to work on. I don't drink as much as I should. Still a work in progress!
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yea, usually when you start a low carb eating plan you'll start to crave sweets and things Becuase your body is trying to adjust itself to eating lower carbohydrates, ( less sugar ) if you can try to avoid "low sugar" products such as low sugar sweets or gums sometimes they can trigger cravings too, Water is good too eating less carbs means your body won't retain as much water like is useto when you were eating more carbs, keeping well hydrated you'll notice eating lower carbs you'll be thirsty more often.
  • Enkprod2
    Enkprod2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work 12am-8am. My boss and I don't actually eat during our shift. we drink water and tea and usually bring a green smoothie (kale, spinach, cucumber, kiwi, green apple and chia is our go to) but no full meals. truth be told we don't usually finish our smoothies, we just take a swig or two when we are feeling hungry and it usually gets us through till morning. when we go home I usually have a smoothie or finish the one I took to work and she is big on juicing so she will have a juice, we each have a big glass of water and out vitamins for the day and then go to bed. That works for us.