This activity level business is confusing me...

All because I've been reading forums. I've set my activity level to sedentary and would eat back exercise calories. I walk to and from work at a decent pace 20 minutes round trip 5 days a week. Am I supposed to log that every day or say that is a light activity level and not log it? The last time I tried tracking calories I got all hung up and confused about the whole thing and got discouraged and quit.

I did read the In Place of A road map and did the calculations suggested and rated myself at light activity (per the recommendation in the post) which put my cals around 2000-ish. I also discovered that the BMR calculators said it was about 50 calories higher than what MFP set me at when sedentary, trying to lose a pound a week.

I am 5' 11", 228 pounds, female. Hoping to get down to 190 as my first goal and then go from there. My biggest problem was/is portion control which is why I started tracking stuff again. So while my diary probably isn't the healthiest, I'm working on my mentality about portions and learning when to stop eating. Fortunately, I was already and "aqua-holic" who drinks water pretty much all the time, so I at least have that going for me!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    You can do either, neither one is incorrect. Whatever is easier for you.

I like having one number I can eat at without exercise and still lose weight, since I don't exercise everyday. (Sedentary)

Then when I exercise I eat whatever I burn + what my calorie goal is

1450(goal calories) + 400(burned at gym) = 1850 calories for the day. Yum.

Some people are super active during the week and prefer to calculate their TDEE -20% (or less if they don't have much to lose). And just eat those calories everyday and not worry about logging exercise.
  • ambuford21
    ambuford21 Posts: 30 Member
    Ok, so then if I set my activity level to lightly active should I record my runs when I'm able to get back to running 3x a week?

I'm starting to think that the BMR being higher than the calories MFP set me at under sedentary is the reason I would get ravenous a few times a week. That and not calculating in the walking.

I figure its all baby steps right now so I don't get overwhelmed with the process.
  • ambuford21
    ambuford21 Posts: 30 Member
    Bumping to get answer for logging runs in addition to light activity question in #3
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Yes you would log the runs, you don't do them as part of your daily activity.