Early Morning Gym Goers?

Options
2»

Replies

• HalfIronTrainee
    HalfIronTrainee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm across the room, so you physically have to get up to turn it off. That way, you're technically already out of bed, so you may as well workout. Also, does your gym have any classes? I have been doing 4:15 a.m. wake ups now for a month. Mix it up. Have different things to look forward to each day so you don't get bored. Good luck!
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm across the room, so you physically have to get up to turn it off. That way, you're technically already out of bed, so you may as well workout. Also, does your gym have any classes? I have been doing 4:15 a.m. wake ups now for a month. Mix it up. Have different things to look forward to each day so you don't get bored. Good luck!

Unfortunately, no! I live in a suuuuuuper rural area and my gym is literally a room with some equipment and a stereo. Its a come as you wish type of place.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Planning is the key, as said above.

I alternate working out and running daily, so I review what I am doing the next morning the night before. I get all my workout clothes/shoes in the bathroom ready to go the night before as I am getting ready for bed. I'll have my water bottle filled and ready in the kitchen.

I actually am excited the night before to wake up and do my workouts, and I'm one of those weirdoes that when the alarm goes off I wake right up. Well, almost always. Last week I had a "hiccup" where I rolled over and fell back asleep for 45 minutes (oops) but that happens like once a year, so its the exception not the rule.

You need to do it for a few weeks to develop the habit and then it will become second nature/easier. You're biological clock will shift. You'll start going to bed a little earlier and waking up easier. Just give it a chance and stick with it. I love getting up, getting my workouts done, and feeling great the rest of the day!
  • fishccer
    fishccer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would get up to either go to the gym alone or run, luckily, my leisure centre has 6am classes that I book onto and I have to turn up to, if I don't, I have to pay for it. Having to pay for something I didn't use is a real motivator for me lol. Does yours do early classes?
  • fishccer
    fishccer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sorry, didn't read the thread all the way through. Your gym doesn't do classes does it? I have no tips for you then, sorry :-(
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I use the rather immature motivation of naming all of my alarms "Wake up, fatty" "You're lazy, get up" "Okay, last chance...gonna feel like a lard the rest of the day" I typically look at Fitspo Instagrams before I go to bed to get myself ultra motivated for that 5AM wake-up call.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I used to do this.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Keep the same schedule every day. No workout day sleep ins.

Get a super good alarm. Mine is a day light simulator but whatever gets you awake is good. I have done the across the room thing with the ringer kind

Pack everything the night before. Lay out your clothes. Have a plan for everything, what workout you're doing, what you are eating and when, where to shower, etc etc.

Make friends at your gym or meet someone for your early workouts. You won't want to have to explain that you turned you alarm off

Give yourself some treats. I like nice smelling shampoo and body wash and only have them in my gym bag. It might not GET me in there but it is a nice treat. Also, I have some special egg bakes for breakfast that are frozen but I only have them on workout days.

get to bed early. Even if you can't sleep, lie there