Feel like giving up

Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

eldamiano wrote: »
    No you dont. You just keep on consuming too much....

Taking the post out of context. She said she had a 4 pound gain from what she considered a cheat. That would most likely be mainly water.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. It normally happens when I eat more sodium in the foods then is my normal habit. It is my opinion that as we lower the sodium intake our bodies react worse to the sodium then it did before. The other thing is to remember there are fluctuations normal to normal bodily activities especially as women. I find that if I exercise before I weigh then the weight is up a little. Also if I weigh after a bath I tend to be higher than I expect to be.

I know it is upsetting and annoying when you work so hard to lose the weight and it appears to come back in a instant but I've found that if I keep my head on straight and remember that this is all just part of the process, I can manage a lot better. If I get too upset, I will say "Screw it!" and go back to my old ways which is not something I want to do.

I have been trying to keep calm no matter what the scale says and keep moving forward. I hope this helps a little bit.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    rach3365 wrote: »
    This is why I fail trying to change my lifestyle every single time. *kitten* water weight!! I treat myself to one thing and I gain 4lbs overnight. Sometimes I don't treat myself and I still gain water like crazy! This is so frustrating. I got down to 269.8 and now I'm back up to 273. All I ever seem to do is gain water weight. It takes a week to come off then it's back on the next day. I feel bloated all the time too. I'm so sick of it. I just want to lose weight but I keep retaining water

You didn't gain 4 lbs. Just don't step on the scale after a cheat. You're only messing with your head. I weigh once a week and only because I have to. I especially will not weigh after a cheat meal. Don't give up, losing weight is hard but being overweight is even harder.
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you want your body to let go of water weight, you need to drink water. The more hydrated you are, the less your body will hang on to. Obviously, a diet high in sodium is going to contribute as well, so on days where your sodium intake is especially high getting enough water is super important. Also, I did peek at your diary and unless you didn't eat anything after lunch the past several days your tracking is inconsistent. Consistency is key to weight loss. We all have days where we don't track. We're human. But where the long game is concerned, the more you track the more you'll lose.
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This is why I fail trying to change my lifestyle every single time. *kitten* water weight!! I treat myself to one thing and I gain 4lbs overnight. Sometimes I don't treat myself and I still gain water like crazy! This is so frustrating. I got down to 269.8 and now I'm back up to 273. All I ever seem to do is gain water weight. It takes a week to come off then it's back on the next day. I feel bloated all the time too. I'm so sick of it. I just want to lose weight but I keep retaining water

Everyone here has great advice.

If you feel hungry, drink a glass of water instead. Hate water? That's cool. Drink a glass of water with a splash of lemon juice in it - or a wedge or fruit (raspberry, strawberry, apple, lime, couple of grapes, orange slice, etc) You can even get those crystal light packs and drink a glass of water, then reward yourself with a glass of water + crystal light in it.

Hope this helps.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused by your diary.

In the last 3 days you logged about 700 cals each... then you only log breakfast and nothing else all day... then a day of no logging at all?

How do you actually keep track of your calorie intake? I think once you start to make the effort to WEIGH and LOG everything you actually consume, you'll get a better idea of where you're at.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Consuming too much what? I stay under my goal even if I treat myself.

The weight would be coming off then..... but you say it isnt.....

I'm just curious as to why this was flagged as spam? What did eldamiano say that was to be flagged?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I don't weigh myself everyday. Once a week. Sometimes I cheat and do it twice a week but mostly it's on Fridays first thing on the morning. I cheated this morning obviously. I try to stay away from sodium but it's in everything. I make a huge effort to cook dinner for myself Sunday nights and eat off of that for three whole week. I don't drink enough water and that's something I have to work on. I seem to run into this problem every single time I try and lose weight. Maybe I need to get rid of my scale and weigh in once a month....seriously feeling so frustrated.

Those cheats (cheat meals?) are probably bigger than you think they are and are impacting your results. Especially if you're having two of them. Most people who are a lot closer to their goal or have already achieved it will generally have one cheat meal per week. And to be honest given the weight you're at (sorry, I hate saying stuff like that), I think you're at a point where a cheat meal should be avoided until you've made more progress. Instead fit a treat into your calories, I mean for example you'd be surprised how easy it is to fit a bar of chocolate into your day if you plan it out. That way you can enjoy stuff you really want, just in moderation, and be losing fat at the same time.

I was talking about about weighing in twice per week...not cheat meals. Thanks though

You said you had a "treat" whatever that means, and your weight went up by 4 pounds. Not knowing what that treat was I am going to assume it was high sodium, high carb both of which cause water to be retained. Others have said your logging is questionable, you have a goal to reach given to you by this site based on the information you gave. Do what I posted earlier, log everything measuring it carefully, ideally with a digital kitchen scale to the gram, and eat to your goal calories. It does not matter what you eat unless you have a medical condition like PCOS, pre-diabetes, diabetes or the like, but nutrition dense foods like veggies and lean protein will help you feel full longer. Again eat to your calorie goal. Do that for 4 weeks and see what happens.