Eat exercise calories?

Options
So if I burn an additional 150 calories exercising should I eat those calories, or stay at original calories for the day. They are automatically added...but not sure I should use them. Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. If your calorie burn information comes from the database, keep in mind that many people have found these to be over-estimated and only eat back 25-75% of the calories to account for this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat them
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    tdodge123 wrote: »
    So if I burn an additional 150 calories exercising should I eat those calories, or stay at original calories for the day. They are automatically added...but not sure I should use them. Thanks.

As stated above, MFP has high estimates for calories burned during exercise, so most of us only eat some of them back when trying to lose. Over a period of time, the scale may help give you feedback as to whether you are eating back too many or too few. If you find yourself losing more or less than projected you can change the percentage you eat back accordingly.
  • _beachready
    _beachready Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hiya!! This question is confusing to a lot of people it seems, but this post explains it well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It is the way this tool is designed as your exercise activity is not accounted for in your activity level. That said, I really wouldn't worry a whole lot about 150 calories or light exercise activity as much as I would fueling more vigorous exercise activity.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. If your calorie burn information comes from the database, keep in mind that many people have found these to be over-estimated and only eat back 25-75% of the calories to account for this.

This ^