Falling off the wagon.....

Options
I'm here to shamefully admit I've fallen off the wagon. After logging in religiously for over 230 days, I've let MFP slide for 5 days now. I've eaten things I know I shouldn't, and am very very afraid to get on the scale.
I know this has happened to others -- how have you all handled it? I need advice...
My fight or flight response is leaning towards flight -- help!!

Replies

• ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I fall off the wagon A LOT. I'll try for two months, get defeated at the lack of progress, quit, only to hop back on. Only thing you can do is keep going. Yeah it's going to suck and you'll hate it but really it's better to keep trying even if you do mess up some. Just hop back on the scale, admit where you went wrong, record your weight and move on. (Although sometimes I have to cry it out I'll also do some extra exercise as well, go run a mile or two and do more time in yoga/zumba).
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I was almost to 1000 days and found out i was pregnant. I did my best to log and then started using the excuse of oh I'm pregnant. Now with he last bit of weight to loose I am back on the wagon too.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just get back on it. There's nothing else for it. I mean what's the other option? Give up entirely and go right back where you were before? Nope. You can't have done too much damage in 5 days so just get going again.

I'm deliberately taking two weeks off in May when I go on holiday (and a week or so before at maintenance) and when I get back I will just get going again. No excuses. I don't get to reach my goals if I give up.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I would try to think of the really big picture. 230 days in a row is huge! 5 days isn't going to wipe out 230 days of progress. Focus on that, and any healthy habits you've established. Remembering that I'm still exercising four times a week when I previously didn't do any exercise at all is pretty motivating, even if I'm overeating or feel out of control for a few days. (And I've slowly been losing weight for a long time. It happens.)

Also, I've read that a number of people here take 'breaks' from eating at a deficit every few months. Maybe you could try eating at maintenance for a little while and when you're back in the right frame of mind, reinstate your calorie deficit?

One other idea . . . if it's the scale that's terrifying you and you want to get right back to tracking and a calorie deficit, maybe don't weigh yourself this week? Recommit to logging, focus on all the good work you've already put in, and wait a week or two to weigh yourself to take the focus off the number on the scale.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Fight! fight! fight! The worst thing you can do is let 5 days turn into 50. You are doing a fantastic job...230 days!
    And I think the best thing you can do is get on that scale and face the fear. I bet it isn't that big of a set back. :)