Migraines

Options
Movemoreguy22
Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
edited March 2016 in Motivation and Support
I've always suffered with these when I was young. Sadly 33 now and this year I've had two already.
It's not the headache that bothers me, it's the affects before hand.. lose vision, pins and needles that straight in my hand then travels to my face,lips and tongue which leads me to I can't speak. I can't concentrate like listening to people, I forget things like names of things or can't describe things.
Can't grip a thing with my hands, the light is painful for my eyes and the quiet sound turns into super loud, so basically proper brain f**k.
I don't believe anything has changed in my diet lately. Im gonna have to keep records of everything. Sleep, food, etc
Does anyone else have these amazing experiences and could throw advice out there..

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @garyggriffin I wish you success. Keeping records over time should be helpful to find the cause(s).

thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/10991/874-dr-josh-turknett-identifies-how-low-carb-ketogenic-diets-treat-migraines/

My bout with headaches kind of got blurred from the rest of my joint and muscle pain but they were real. In trying to lose my joint and muscle pain by diet vs. Rx meds I stopped eating sugar and all forms of grain Oct 2014. That addressed my joint and muscle pain in just 30 days. 1.5 years later my joint and muscle pain is still well managed and I do not remember a headache either. For the last year my 40 years of IBS has been total gone so I know my total body inflammation level must be much lower. My blood pressure, sugar, etc are lower which may have lowered my risk of migraines.

Bottom line many health issues are related to many factors. Best of luck in finding the factors triggering your headache. I know what works in my case but that may not help another person with different trigger factors.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I get migraines as well, but way more often than that. At least one bad one a month ... I usually have some type of headache a couple days a week. Always have, not sure why.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Food diary is always the first thing, but also noticing other things like perfumes, other smells may be triggers. For me most perfumes can trigger a migraine, the smell of hazelnut, cut grass and gasoline. Also bright sunlight or the glare on an overcast day. Change in weather/barometric pressure is also a trigger for me. I tried literally everything from blood pressure meds, acupuncture and even hypnosis. I've been taking topamax as a preventive for about 10 years now and it literally changed my life. I was getting migraines 4x a week at least and now I get them maybe 2x a month around that time. Since you're male, the hormonal thing shouldn't affect you. Botox has now been approved for migraines but I believe you have to have tried 2 other methods first and get 15 migraines a month or more. I take Imitrex when I feel one coming. I don't get the blindness that you describe but I tend to feel the tingling and nausea. Hope this info helps.
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually induced my high stress and being dehydrated.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    When I was younger and in collage used to get them every week and the College were threatening to kick me out cos they didn't believe me haha..
    Anyway as getting older there slowing down, so twice this year with bad ones, not saying I don't get headaches cos I do all the time, but i dont count them as migraines.
    Just trying to puzzle out what I've done differently this year to tigger it.
    Can't be the sun, I'm in bloody England sun don't exist
  • gettingittogether15
    gettingittogether15 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Having migraines myself - inflammation, sugar, gluten, anxiety, lack of hydration all tend to trigger my migraines, but I have them under control now. I want to say though that some of your symptoms seem more than migraines to me and I would talk to your neurologist. (the pins and needles and not being able to speak or get a grip with your hand). I would have the brain fog and confusion, but not being able to speak due to the pins and needles isn't something I've experienced before.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I get migraines caused by smells. Anything perfumed sets me off, I have to be so careful what soap I use, washing powder etc. It's hard if I go somewhere and someone is wearing really strong perfume, or worse when they come to my house wearing it and I can't get the smell out for ages. I have been prescribed sumatriptan (imigran) which is the only thing that will work for me to get rid of a migraine once it sets in. If you haven't already, go and see a doctor about it.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I get complicated migraines with aura as well - very scary, and the inability to articulate or distinguish letters from numbers increases my anxiety which exacerbates the symptoms. I am now unable to take any vasoconstrictor meds, so I'm stuck with only treating the pain if/when it comes. But if you are able to take it, look into Relpax. It was a miracle drug for me, if I took it just as the blinky lights and blindness came on. Immediately take it and sit quietly. Best of luck. Stay hydrated and well-fueled and sleep regularly. :)
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have been getting migraines for years, even tried a year of Botox. This helped for the first 9 months and then nothing but...in November of last year I went on a cleanse with my husband and for 10 days no headaches.
    Since then I have totally cleaned up my diet. Very little processed foods, little processed sugar, water only, limited alcohol and no nitrites or sulfites. I also added 800mgs of super magnesium per my nurologiest and have had very few headaches.

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have been getting migraines for years, even tried a year of Botox. This helped for the first 9 months and then nothing but...in November of last year I went on a cleanse with my husband and for 10 days no headaches.
    Since then I have totally cleaned up my diet. Very little processed foods, little processed sugar, water only, limited alcohol and no nitrites or sulfites. I also added 800mgs of super magnesium per my nurologiest and have had very few headaches.

I forgot about the alcohol. I had to stop drinking completely. I get a migraine during my first drink.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My previous doctor called himself a headache expert. He tried all sorts of drugs on me, none of which worked. My new fabulous doctor fixed my migraines by having me eat less than 2300 mg sodium per day. She said some people just have a sodium sensitivity. I was in a migraine state for 1/3 of a month, every month, but now, maybe one every couple months...and I can get rid of it, generally, with regular Excedrin. Staying well hydrated helps, too. I think you just have to find what works for you. Oh...I've been a teetotaler my whole life, so it didn't have anything to do with alcohol for me, as far as I know. Good luck to you!! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Having migraines myself - inflammation, sugar, gluten, anxiety, lack of hydration all tend to trigger my migraines, but I have them under control now. I want to say though that some of your symptoms seem more than migraines to me and I would talk to your neurologist. (the pins and needles and not being able to speak or get a grip with your hand). I would have the brain fog and confusion, but not being able to speak due to the pins and needles isn't something I've experienced before.

Yeah pins and needles would travel into my face and onto my tongue, then I wouldn't able to talk cause of it.. crazy stuff.. wouldn't last no more then 10mins for that stage